The reward; "Nobility"

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Red Ropes

Re: The reward; "Nobility"

Post by Red Ropes » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:49 am

i regret this thread, please lock
🤡

Halibutthead

Post by Halibutthead » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:12 pm

i think we could have done without that first paragraph, durvayas

Sartain

Post by Sartain » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:10 am
TimeAdept wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:36 am
snip
weird, it's almost like Drow actually do care about nobility.

There is a lot of drow lore we don't use, and like the above, it has virtually ZERO bearing on how the drow operate on Arelith.

Permadeath is not a thing, which means that PCs don't just die. There is upward mobility and downward mobility, and the roleplay on arelith has long since adapted to compensate. Nobility by birth is not something Arelith's drow recognise. Among drow here nobility is wholly ephemeral, and codifying it mechanically would never work. Houses are noble one day, and fallen the next; their members go from being nobles to commoners as soon as that happens. Then they join new or existant houses, and they might become nobles again, or they might never reach the rank ever again in their lifetime. Its always changing, because the PCs don't just rank up and then die permanently when their house collapses.

Nobility on the surface is a lot more stable, but also more varied. You have Sembian and Amnian merchant noble families, then you have cormyran feudal nobles, and other such. Being born in the proverbial purple means a lot more on the surface of Arelith than it ever will in the underdark.
That pre-moderator edited post just gave me a Mark of Despair, though
Last edited by Sartain on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DM Wraith
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Wraith » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:25 pm

Guys, Keep it PG-13 or under.

Cheers,
DM Wraith

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:32 pm

I suggest rolling the 1k / month award into nobility. Basically free rent for most houses and adds some flavor to both awards.

Who is the audience for this post?

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:40 pm

The point I was making, albeit in a dramatic fashion, is that Ed Greenwood is a hack, and there are MANY aspects of drow lore that we can't, and frankly don't want to, emulate on Arelith. Sort of like how Kiaransalee's followers like undead a little too much in the lore but we happily keep that theme (mostly) off the server, the drow lore on nobility is not something that Arelith's playerbase is going to respect and represent in game. The persistant nature of characters, and the mobile nature of rank, makes it simply impractical here.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Berried

Post by Berried » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:40 pm
Sort of like how Kiaransalee's followers like undead a little too much in the lore but we happily keep that theme (mostly) off the server
Can't spell 'necromancer' without 'romance'.

On a more serious note, am I the only one who thinks the noble reward seems fine as it is? It's a minor reward that I assume mostly exists for flavor, and was never intended to give anyone an actual edge over other players. It's a cute little reward and it's doing its best.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:03 pm

If Ed Greenwood's a "hack" I don't know what we're all doing here or why Forgotten Realms has been the most popular D&D campaign setting for decades now. I don't like everything about it or but that's personal taste, not a slam against the guy's influence, talent and accomplishments. Maybe he's not JRR Tolkien but then none of us are.

The point that nobility is different with various race and cultures is a good one. It makes me think the reward could be "Highborn" or something instead of "nobility", to say your character is a lucky one born into whatever family or faction has some sort of power, fame or influence attached to their name. Doesn't have to mean you do or don't have a noble title that means anything, you could also just be Kardashian born of famous parents or who's somehow attained their own fame early in life. Basically it seems like the purpose (which is kind of supported already) would be to have mechanical backing if you want to play a character who can say "don't you know who I am?" right off the bat.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:56 pm

A drow with the "Noble" gift wouldn't be automatically noble in Andunor. Fears around that are completely unfounded. A "Noble" gifted drow would have the benefits Red Ropes outlined that tie with some particular house of foreign influence.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Red Ropes wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:49 am
i regret this thread, please lock

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:01 pm

Sea Shanties wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:03 pm
The point that nobility is different with various race and cultures is a good one. It makes me think the reward could be "Highborn" or something instead of "nobility", to say your character is a lucky one born into whatever family or faction has some sort of power, fame or influence attached to their name. Doesn't have to mean you do or don't have a noble title that means anything, you could also just be Kardashian born of famous parents or who's somehow attained their own fame early in life. Basically it seems like the purpose (which is kind of supported already) would be to have mechanical backing if you want to play a character who can say "don't you know who I am?" right off the bat.
See. The idea of it just being highborn, I can get behind easily. Blue blooded is fine.

Ability to ride horses right off the bat? Yea sure, I can get behind that one.
Innate gift of wealth? Sure. Thats pretty harmless, why not?
A non-combat henchman they can use as a butler? Superb. Great for RP.
But they still shouldn't have additional votes, otherwise people grinding to make alts specifically for votepacking for their pals would quickly become the new flavor of cheese, and we have enough problems with that particular system as is.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:12 am

How about:

Gift of riding
Gift of wealth
Feat: Courteous Magocracy

all bundled into one. Seems nice for a reward. Lore and Spellcraft are universally useful, makes sense for flavor and +2 doesn't impact anything too drastically. It also reflects a background of higher-than-normal education.

At the same time, we're making use of less desirable gifts/feats and packaging them in a way that helps you to get into character.

Just please, no special name or description tags.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:07 pm

Mr_Rieper wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:12 am
How about:

Gift of riding
Gift of wealth

all bundled into one. Seems nice for a reward. Lore and Spellcraft are universally useful, makes sense for flavor and +2 doesn't impact anything too drastically. It also reflects a background of higher-than-normal education.

At the same time, we're making use of less desirable gifts/feats and packaging them in a way that helps you to get into character.

Silver palm might make more sense than courteous magocracy. Or they could be given both.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:07 pm
Mr_Rieper wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:12 am
How about:

Gift of riding
Gift of wealth

Silver palm might make more sense than courteous magocracy. Or they could be given both.
Nobles do already get the Silver Palm feat :)

Gobbo Champion Inc

Post by Gobbo Champion Inc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:23 pm

Something to consider is allowing pcs that take the noble reward, to use race specific noble only gifts.

Like "High Born Drow - You have learned how to tap into the advanced magical abilities available to you through your drow noble heritage.".

Its both flavorfully inline with canon, and allows for nice customization options for noble pcs, that let them stand out a bit.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Highborn drow- Courteous magocracy
Dwarf/duergar nobility- gift of crafting
halfling subrace- pickpocket bonus or gift of wealth
Thayvian nobility- Courteous magocracy
Sembian/Calishite/Tethyran/Amnian nobility- innate gift of wealth
Cormyran nobility- gift of riding
Ruathym/any nordic flavor- Blooded

I'm sure there is a lot of variance that could be a thing.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:42 am

Locking as per poster request.
Please don't feed my sister.