Fun on PW post lv 10 declining for various reasons

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

UilliamNebel

Fun on PW post lv 10 declining for various reasons

Post by UilliamNebel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:44 am

Fun on the PW has declined quite a bit for various reasons, some of which are systemic, feeding back into one another in a negative.

1, Just not able to meet, and party up with people of comparable level and play style. Everyone knows others already it seems. And with their limited play time, will go with who they know. Have been trying my best to interact with others IC. But, just have not been able to find any groupings other than tagging along behind high levels and missing all the character level appropriate content.

2, Crafting system requires knowing others, who are specialized. Or willing to craft base items for you, or do enchanting, etc. I haven't been able to even get paid services in game for this regularly, because there is no market at the level of my character's needed items. It just is not worth crafters time to serve the market needs here as is. And I have been unable to meet enough acquaintances in game to get these needs met either as paid favors.

3, As a result of 2, character is woefully undergeared now for level appropriate areas. Despite trying my best to play smart, one bad dice roll is just the end of any progression for a half hour or more of limited playtime due to death sickness. And finding RP, with the dangers of travel in a weakened state, further compounds this leading to just being in character with nothing to do in character.

It is a great PW, but, I honestly couldn't recommend to anyone as a new player unless they are bringing their own group to play with in a leveling and crafting pact of some sort. The in game community is intensely siloed as well, in ways that are puzzling given the concepts of alignment in D&D 3.x and Realms lore. While at the same time, confusingly open despite the same reasons from the source material.

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Fun on PW post lv 10 declining for various reasons

Post by CosmicOrderV » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:20 am

Out of curiosity, where was this in the module; Surface, Underdark, or Skal?
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

Volograd
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Volograd » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:42 am

Couple of things to consider. Disclaimer: my advice probably doesn’t apply much to the Underdark.

First, try spending time in the busier hubs. The Nomad in Cordor is almost always active, and there’s a registry agent right there for writs. I’ve only seen the campfire in Skaljard empty a handful of times, so that’s a great place to meet people. The Crow’s Nest isn’t too bad from my experience as a pirate. I saw quite a bit of traffic there, in addition to the registry agent it has.

Secondly, put up public postings in the various message boards that you’re looking for people to adventure with. I don’t know your character so flavour it as you like. Just be sure to check if it’s an often used board.

Thirdly, examine your character and why you might be having problems partying up. Is your character gruff and difficult to deal with, or is it missing a hook or a flair to make them interesting to others and memorable? Do you share the spotlight and encourage others to take the lead on things? Did you develop a personality that almost always has a reason to adventure?

Fourth, you mentioned issues with crafting. Since all of the trades require help from one another in some way, leverage what you know to make acquaintances that way. Pick something you can craft that’s in high demand and advertise it. Catalysts (alchemy), Flasks of Oil (herbalism), workstations and furniture (carpentry), etc.

Don’t give up quite yet. I hit the same roadblock and it’s all kinds of frustrating, but give it a bit longer. If all else fails, take what you’ve learned from this current character and shelf it for a bit.

Good luck out there.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:18 am

CosmicOrderV wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:20 am
Out of curiosity, where was this in the module; Surface, Underdark, or Skal?
Surface.
Volograd wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:42 am

Thirdly, examine your character and why you might be having problems partying up. Is your character gruff and difficult to deal with, or is it missing a hook or a flair to make them interesting to others and memorable? Do you share the spotlight and encourage others to take the lead on things? Did you develop a personality that almost always has a reason to adventure?

Fourth, you mentioned issues with crafting. Since all of the trades require help from one another in some way, leverage what you know to make acquaintances that way. Pick something you can craft that’s in high demand and advertise it. Catalysts (alchemy), Flasks of Oil (herbalism), workstations and furniture (carpentry), etc.

Don’t give up quite yet. I hit the same roadblock and it’s all kinds of frustrating, but give it a bit longer. If all else fails, take what you’ve learned from this current character and shelf it for a bit.

Good luck out there.
Thanks,

Regarding three, I think I have laid the groundwork for that well. I honestly feel, in regards to near same level partying, that I am playing with others who've been on the server a while already and are leveling an alt and that my cautious approach and not knowing an area is seen as drag to getting max XP and resources for their play time. I say this, because so far in party roleplay has been near non existent for me most of the time with the rushes from encounter to encounter, and seems the norm.

Four, I'll try. But to be honest, I just have found the crafting system optimized toward higher level time and gold sink. I would like it to be a system for if you put in the work it makes you able to craft a worthwhile portion of the items you need, and trade for the others. But that does not seem that possible given there is no market at the low levels.

I do not plan to quit. But I am not seeing much of a way forward here, other than raising gold for heals and buffs, to try and eventually have crafting ability catch up to level appropriate content.

Edit: Actually, I would say after the experiences of today, because of the leveling spawn system, my character is hopelessly unworkable now because of the lag in getting gear. Just not able to overcome the 'dog pile' spawns in level appropriate areas. So will need to weight out restarting with another character. I thought the server would reward tactical trap play, but just coming across a lot of situations of having additional spawns dog piled onto, mid fight, like the shadows popping as I try to fight ogrelings in the forest now. No time to set traps, prepare AC, and existing buffs worthless. Under geared just equals death of fun and progress for this character.

Additional edit: Also the rest mechanic doesn't help much either. As I can see no benefit to being a 100% rested. Just means you'll get out in the field, have a first encounter go wrong on you. And need to wait till you can rest at an inn. Where as if your always out at the field, just avoiding exhausted, you seem to be able to just rest barely above 50% and keep it going continuously. I just am not able to understand, or work out the intention here. Is it to punish players who retreat back to an inn to rest? And force resting in the field, and the risk of it?
Last edited by UilliamNebel on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:34 am

UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:18 am
Regarding three, I think I have laid the groundwork for that well. I honestly feel, in regards to near same level partying, that I am playing with others who've been on the server a while already and are leveling an alt and that my cautious approach and not knowing an area is seen as drag to getting max XP and resources for their play time. I say this, because so far in party roleplay has been near non existent for me most of the time with the rushes from encounter to encounter, and seems the norm.
Whether you're new or not, this is a frustration many of us share. But believe me when I say so, there are those of us who enjoy taking our time through the dungeon with care and Roleplay, as if it were our first time. And especially if our characters have never been there, it only makes sense that they have every reason to be cautious.

My approach may not be the best, but it has worked for me. I simply refuse to run through a dungeon. If someone else from the party goes ahead of me and disregards me and those of us who walk through the dungeon, then I simply consider those people as having abandoned our party. But these types will always exist, unfortunately, and there's little you can do about that other than refusing to conform to their playstyle. When I personally do it this way, it gives a signal to those around me, an idea of what to expect of me.
Another thing I've done in the past was to simply speak to them in-character. Ask them to be cautious. Sadly this method seldom seems to work.

Don't get me wrong, there's in-character reasons to sometimes run, especially if you suddenly find yourself short on time. But overall, I prefer the slow pace through a dungeon where a good deal of roleplay can take place in-between combat encounters - and even during combat at times. That last part makes me think of Legolas and Gimli counting bodies as they banter between trading blows.

I'll say this again, there are those of us who enjoy a long dungeon run with lots of roleplay and fun, and if you hold on for just a little longer, you'll find them =)
Last edited by MissEvelyn on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sartain

Post by Sartain » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:35 am

Skal is mostly a haven for low-level grinders where RP amounts to "you doing this writ? Let's team up" and nothing more. Most people there are in a hurry to be somewhere else so the questing is rushed. For the most part, at least.
I can't speak to the crafting but it does sound like it is part of the general PW problem of everyone plateauing at max level (or close to): everything ends up being designed for the characters who are max level, causing economy, events, PVP and roleplaying to be primarily the purview of the highest level characters since there is nothing stopping anyone from becoming level 30.

It was also an issue 15 years ago on PWs and it seems nobody has really figured out a solution.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:11 am

Persistent World and "open world/MMO" settings in general don't tend to reward heavy investment in offensive traps, unfortunately. The nature of the game is such that you need to do so much killing that trying to actively use traps every encounter is an exercise in near futility. I don't think any servr's managed to neatly solve this besides pretend that the server doesn't care about combat in the least.

I hope you continue to have fun and continue to try to make a path in the server. Definitely try to advertise and float around various hub areas of the server. Breaking into what looks like an established group can often be as simple as walking up to them and greeting them or asking a question. Not all character personalities will be conducive to this, but a great many will, and a great many factions are always looking to scoop up interested unaffiliated characters.

Baseili

Post by Baseili » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:20 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:

Unfortunately this is the norm, people go to dungeons with a goal be it a writ, an item, gold or XP and typically run through them with very little if any dialogue. You may be lucky to find a handful who are the exception but for the most part you'll kill things in silence.
Sometimes it better to simply accept it and try to find others when you can, just never compromise your character for it. Anyone who finds it irritating isn't worth your time but those who appreciate it can become good friends, both in and out of the game.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Four, I'll try. But to be honest, I just have found the crafting system optimized toward higher level time and gold sink. I would like it to be a system for if you put in the work it makes you able to craft a worthwhile portion of the items you need, and trade for the others. But that does not seem that possible given there is no market at the low levels.

I do not plan to quit. But I am not seeing much of a way forward here, other than raising gold for heals and buffs, to try and eventually have crafting ability catch up to level appropriate content.
I think the idea behind the crafting was for higher level characters to make things for lower level ones since those leveling up tend to buy upgrades thus providing consistant profit by using easier to reach materials. The system works but only if shops are available so that differing time zones can be catered for and were it usually falls apart since all forms of property on Arelith is guarded jealously and snapped up instantly. Sadly you've just got to be lucky in order to find a shop who sells what you want and can make a request.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Edit: Actually, I would say after the experiences of today, because of the leveling spawn system, my character is hopelessly unworkable now because of the lag in getting gear. Just not able to overcome the 'dog pile' spawns in level appropriate areas. So will need to weight out restarting with another character. I thought the server would reward tactical trap play, but just coming across a lot of situations of having additional spawns dog piled onto, mid fight, like the shadows popping as I try to fight ogrelings in the forest now. No time to set traps, prepare AC, and existing buffs worthless. Under geared just equals death of fun and progress for this character.
Been there with a dozen different characters myself, gear dependent characters get hamstrung if prices are too high or if the gear itself is unavailable and is doubly so if your character isn't made for solo'ing but can't find others. It can be disheartening to find your ideas dashed against the mechanical reality of the server, the best you can do at that point is either adapt or discard, just because trapping doesn't work too well in dungeons doesn't mean they can be useful in other areas.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Additional edit: Also the rest mechanic doesn't help much either. As I can see no benefit to being a 100% rested. Just means you'll get out in the field, have a first encounter go wrong on you. And need to wait till you can rest at an inn. Where as if your always out at the field, just avoiding exhausted, you seem to be able to just rest barely above 50% and keep it going continuously. I just am not able to understand, or work out the intention here. Is it to punish players who retreat back to an inn to rest? And force resting in the field, and the risk of it?
That one I believe is purely to stop content from becoming trivial, though it really only works on newish players as the more knowledgeable game the system by using coffee or alcohol to keep their rest levels as low as possible. Just something you've got to deal with until another system is devised and implemented.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:13 pm

The best advice I could give is to try grouping up the old fashion way.

Get a piece of writing paper, label the title something along the lines of "Seeking companions to travel to (wherever you'd like to go)", and put it on the ground in front of you while standing outside The Nomad.
The paper will display whatever it's named when you hover over it.

People in the right level range who are looking for a trip will often stop and ask about it, or you might get invited into another group that's made and on their way out of the city. Most people outside the level range for the listed area have the decency to not try to join.

Grouping this way takes longer, but it'll increase the chances of finding a group that doesn't want to simply run through the entire dungeon, since most of those players are always out there killing things.

In regards to gear, you can do the same thing as how I suggested trying to finding a group.
If you take a piece of writing paper and title it "Smith wanted for (whatever item you need)" and set it on the ground in front of you, people will stop and ask about it.

A cheaper alternative to get your hands on some gear if you're short on gold would be to join a faction. Many established factions supply gear to their members either cheaply or even free in some cases. The Cordor Guard(Peacekeepers) and Darrowdeep come to mind as two different options, although these certainly aren't the only ones.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:17 pm

ok first off you are on the surface and trying to trap east of the grove at lvl 10

first off your in an area way over your level for trying to solo without being a tank fighter( of which are the type who go to the inn for 100% rest and then dont bother for the next few hours of play)

at your level you can be the gatherer of local craft materials for upper levels who just dont want to gather sand, coal, greenstone, wood etc because its time consuming and just pay lower levels to do the work.
Sometimes you can barter gathering for gear or discounted pricing for what they make.

Join a faction. You didnt say what race your rogue is, but there are factions all over the southern isle you can join that do things manyfold. free gear, training patrols, access to storage and grouping. ig clout that introduce you to other players as well, plot intrigue, and much more.

if I were you I would put a note out on the road just outside the cordor gates, trapper/scout/locksmith looking for work etc. that way you will run into players leaving the city from the gates and the nomad, and meet more each time.

when your out alone dont go north of the tower because you are squishy. Until you can handle a horde of goblins animals and hobgoblins mixed together with blade or bow, you dont need to be solo anywhere north of the tower or darrowdeep castle.

oh and make sure you have fun, once you meet enough people the rp comes sometimes more than you could ever want.

the everyone rushing from point to point without much talking, well combat in a dungeon is obvious. Unless your going along searching for something specific, If i see you shooting a bow or looking for traps, I personally dont expect you to emote it.
Yes I can sign

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:55 pm

On the point about making midgame gear for lower levels. I strongly recommend trying to get a consignment deal with a local merchant to sell lowbie gear in their shop, for a share of the profits. If they sell one of your swords for 1000gp, ensure you get 600 of that, and some such. Not having a shop doesn't have to lock you out of mercantile. It complicates it, but you can participate and thrive if you are clever about it.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:40 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:55 pm
I strongly recommend trying to get a consignment deal with a local merchant to sell lowbie gear in their shop, for a share of the profits.
That might work, but I am unable to even get gear and services, that I am willing to pay for in character when I've put out notices for them on boards. So I wouldn't expect to get any further by seeking an even more complicated arrangement of some sort when I cannot even find the the most basic market of buyer and seller.

With the brick wall, in regard to solo progression I've hit not having level appropriate gear, and inability to get goods and services to remedy that, I can honestly say the market aspect of Arelith is seriously impaired and not likely to improve given the incentivations most participants seem to hold, i.e., better ways to spend their time for higher payout than supplying the market for lower level characters. Sadly, this seems to run headlong into the face of how the crafting system, and resource systems were designed, with what seems to have been an assumption that top down level crafting and supply would just organically happen among the server population. which from what I can see as a new player to the server, just has not materialized.

Its very much a Pareto distribution sort of problem.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:00 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:40 pm
Durvayas wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:55 pm
I strongly recommend trying to get a consignment deal with a local merchant to sell lowbie gear in their shop, for a share of the profits.
That might work, but I am unable to even get gear and services, that I am willing to pay for in character when I've put out notices for them on boards. So I wouldn't expect to get any further by seeking an even more complicated arrangement of some sort when I cannot even find the the most basic market of buyer and seller.

With the brick wall, in regard to solo progression I've hit not having level appropriate gear, and inability to get goods and services to remedy that, I can honestly say the market aspect of Arelith is seriously impaired and not likely to improve given the incentivations most participants seem to hold, i.e., better ways to spend their time for higher payout than supplying the market for lower level characters. Sadly, this seems to run headlong into the face of how the crafting system, and resource systems were designed, with what seems to have been an assumption that top down level crafting and supply would just organically happen among the server population. which from what I can see as a new player to the server, just has not materialized.

Its very much a Pareto distribution sort of problem.
at level 10 your still in low end gear because the next mid tier of gear starts at level 16 then 21

there is no level 3 4 5 6 7 level appropriate gear. it goes in tiers 0 6 16 21 for major sets

its been mentioned many times and ways for you to find ig interactions, and unless your sitting beside the boards watching who reads them, you may wait rl days to weeks hooking up with the players you seek instead of finding players who are online with you.

if its gold that is the main issue, there are several players ig who will loan amounts if you just ask. my main just made a 50k loan and told the other player pay me when you have it. they paid it back in three days.

Ive met your char with mine in bendir. while you wait to get your rubies which are not easy to find at your level, come see him again and he will lend you enough to get what you need for the next 11 levels and you can pay him back in installments
Yes I can sign

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:22 am

There is absolutely gear progression between 6, 16, and 21. In fact, between 6 and 16 is *the entire crafted weapon progression* of steel, masterly steel, damask, greensteel, and masterly damask.

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:32 am

A shameless plug, but my suggestion would be playing in the Underdark. I've tried the surface a few times, and because one or two of your points, I also didn't much care for it. The underdark has a much more real feel to it, and everything is centralized. Everything is centered around the Hub!
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:46 am

TimeAdept wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:22 am
There is absolutely gear progression between 6, 16, and 21. In fact, between 6 and 16 is *the entire crafted weapon progression* of steel, masterly steel, damask, greensteel, and masterly damask.
iron is 1-6
steel greensteel is 6-16
damask is 16-21
m damask is 21 up

but my point is you dont need level 21 gear at level 10
Yes I can sign

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:16 am

Iron is 1, Masterly Iron is 4, Steel is 7, masterly steel is 10, greensteel and damask is 13, masterly damask is 16.

this is basic wiki information, please don't mislead a new player.
Weapons crafted through forging have their own requirement, but otherwise, all weapons follow these exact price/requirement tiers:

2000 GP = Level 1
4000 GP = Level 4
7000 GP = Level 7
15000 GP = Level 10
30000 GP = Level 13
Higher cost = Level 16
Increased UMD flagged items= Level 21

The cost of an item is determined the moment it is generated. Even if the item is enchanted, upgraded, essenced, or changes owner, the requirement will remain exactly the same.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:30 am

TimeAdept wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:16 am
Iron is 1, Masterly Iron is 4, Steel is 7, masterly steel is 10, greensteel and damask is 13, masterly damask is 16.

Weapons crafted through forging have their own requirement, but otherwise, all weapons follow these exact price/requirement tiers:

2000 GP = Level 1
4000 GP = Level 4
7000 GP = Level 7
15000 GP = Level 10
30000 GP = Level 13
Higher cost = Level 16

The cost of an item is determined the moment it is generated. Even if the item is enchanted, upgraded, essenced, or changes owner, the requirement will remain exactly the same.
Wow, I just feel like quiting now, legitimately. Looking at that table and still using bronze daggers at 11th because they are better enchanted than plain iron and the DC for crafting anything above iron is beyond my character, as is enchanting iron. I'm over the crafting system, and buying, as both seem to be broke hopelessly as far as gear my character needs.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:44 am

UilliamNebel wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:30 am
TimeAdept wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:16 am

2000 GP = Level 1
4000 GP = Level 4
7000 GP = Level 7
15000 GP = Level 10
30000 GP = Level 13
Higher cost = Level 16

Wow, I just feel like quiting now, legitimately. Looking at that table and still using bronze daggers at 11th because they are better enchanted than plain iron and the DC for crafting anything above iron is beyond my character, as is enchanting iron. I'm over the crafting system, and buying, as both seem to be broke hopelessly as far as gear my character needs.
I have known people who use bronze at level 30 because they can use spells to boost the weapons in question, but they also have master craft for backup as well.

if your 11th that means you should have 22 in your craft which is more than enough for better than iron crafting on the forge. Unless of course you split your points at level up in multiple craft disciplines

at level 30 you have 60 points that have been assigned, so for example my main is level 28 he has 35 in alchemy that makes everything craftable only failing on a 1 a 15 in herbalism which gives his side items needed for his alchemy and 6 in art for basic gem cutting for his alchemy, not high tier gems but the basics.

Dont worry about it if you did split the points, its a learning curve with your first character afterall.
Yes I can sign

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 am

I guarantee you if you put up a posting about needing something forged, or asked around IC, you could find someone. I absolutely guarantee it. Smiths are sort of a dime a dozen on the server, they compete very heavily for customers.

There's nothing wrong with using enchanted bronze, btw, many characters do, basically anyone who can cast greater magic weapon uses Bronze from 1 to 30 and beyond.

I've had characters I use bronze in all the way until I get a greensteel or damask. Don't fret too much.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:56 am

Roll a druid or wizard with conjuration forcus and you wont need gear as you just hide behind summons.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:58 pm

It's also worth noting that even although the minimum levels of the weapons are as TimeAdept says, many players don't have those weapons by that point(particularly with Mastery Damask), due to needing to locate a smith, get the gold, etc.

As was stated by others though, bronze with a Greater Magic Weapon scroll(requires caster levels or UMD to use) is actually really great. You can easily use that all the way to 30 if you wanted to, and some L30s do choose that over a mastery damask sword.

Normally I wouldn't list IC info in a forum post, but to help you out a bit:
If you want a reliable smith that's easy to find, check the stores just outside Cordor's Bank. Caige has been a very reliable smith for a very long time, and I know he does take custom orders.
His prices are basically always the market standard so you can find better prices elsewhere if you look/ask around, but he's the 'easy mode' of smithing since he's so reliable and consistent. I've purchased waay more than I'd like to admit from Caige. :lol:

As for why Bronze with GMW is so great:

Mastery Damask at it's best:
Level Requirement: 16
+3 AB
+6 Slashing
+4 Permanent Essence
+4 Temp Essence
Total of: 3AB 14Damage, costs around 120,000

Bronze with GMW at it's best:
Level Requirement: 0
+5 Enhancement
+4 Temp Essence
Total of: 5AB 9Damage, costs around 650-800 per GMW scroll
Note: You can't use a permanent essence on these, GMW only works on unenchanted swords

So for 5 points less damage, you get a 10% increased chance to hit and your weapon will ignore Stoneskin(mage buff that absorbs 10 damage per hit taken), Premonition(absorbs 30 per hit), etc. In several cases such as when fighting mages, this even results in dealing more damage with Bronze+GMW than a Mastery Damask sword could.

Note: it's pretty rare to have an endless supply +4 temporary essences, although 1d6s are readily available in stores if you have the gold. Early on many people don't use any temporary essences.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 pm

Twily wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:58 pm
It's also worth noting that even although the minimum levels of the weapons are as TimeAdept says, many players don't have those weapons by that point(particularly with Mastery Damask), due to needing to locate a smith, get the gold, etc.

As was stated by others though, bronze with a Greater Magic Weapon scroll(requires caster levels or UMD to use) is actually really great. You can easily use that all the way to 30 if you wanted to, and some L30s do choose that over a mastery damask sword.

Normally I wouldn't list IC info in a forum post, but to help you out a bit:
If you want a reliable smith that's easy to find, check the stores just outside Cordor's Bank. Caige has been a very reliable smith for a very long time, and I know he does take custom orders.
His prices are basically always the market standard so you can find better prices elsewhere if you look/ask around, but he's the 'easy mode' of smithing since he's so reliable and consistent. I've purchased waay more than I'd like to admit from Caige. :lol:

As for why Bronze with GMW is so great:

Mastery Damask at it's best:
Level Requirement: 16
+3 AB
+6 Slashing
+4 Permanent Essence
+4 Temp Essence
Total of: 3AB 14Damage, costs around 120,000

Bronze with GMW at it's best:
Level Requirement: 0
+5 Enhancement
+4 Temp Essence
Total of: 5AB 9Damage, costs around 650-800 per GMW scroll
Note: You can't use a permanent essence on these, GMW only works on unenchanted swords

So for 5 points less damage, you get a 10% increased chance to hit and your weapon will ignore Stoneskin(mage buff that absorbs 10 damage per hit taken), Premonition(absorbs 30 per hit), etc. In several cases such as when fighting mages, this even results in dealing more damage with Bronze+GMW than a Mastery Damask sword could.

Note: it's pretty rare to have an endless supply +4 temporary essences, although 1d6s are readily available in stores if you have the gold. Early on many people don't use any temporary essences.
Thank you, will try this route with daggers I've forged of iron, and try using essences, like I've been doing with dart bundles (Like this a lot for a dart thrower).

Mostly my troubles have been across trades though. Have put up notice board inquiries for goods, and not getton replies for carpentry related (small wood shield, balanced halft), art (clay mold), and tailoring (to take a padded armor and all the materials I've gotten to +2 and +3) as well as forging and enchanting. If they are going to happen, I do not think it will happen in a time where the goods will be that useful anymore to me, that my character will always be limping along with lower tier gear then their level (Besides traps).

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:04 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 pm
Mostly my troubles have been across trades though. Have put up notice board inquiries for goods, and not getton replies for carpentry related (small wood shield, balanced halft), art (clay mold), and tailoring (to take a padded armor and all the materials I've gotten to +2 and +3) as well as forging and enchanting. If they are going to happen, I do not think it will happen in a time where the goods will be that useful anymore to me, that my character will always be limping along with lower tier gear then their level (Besides traps).
Where have you put up the notices? Individual stores will often have message boards for orders, which is definitely the better place to put notices than on general city boards. Find a shop that sells tailored goods, for instance, and put your order there.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

lakhena

Post by lakhena » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:56 pm

I remember when I was newer, I found it tricky to find parties as well after level 10. It's a pretty strange phenomenon, but try checking out the Earthkin village / Bendir every once in a while -- it seems to get a decent amount of traffic, and I found I could pick up occasional writ soloers or small groups and just asked to tag along. Some of those interactions have been lasting, some haven't, but that's just the nature of a PW.

My biggest advice is to see if you can join a faction. I remember the Cordor Navy and Guard as being pretty active, back when I was playing a PC based in Cordor.

Of course, my other recommendation is to make an elf and pop over to Myon, if you're an American player (we have a growing number of Euros, but are mostly American). We're a pretty friendly, inclusive crowd with regularly scheduled events (including adventure outings and social events) and plenty of people willing to help new elves with crafted equipment for cheap or free (depending on the RP).

Feel free to ping me over Discord if you go the elf route -- #Lakhena.7998
Now playing:
Azalea the Magnificent
Thaelyn Lyrandel (retired)