Archery Targets - Difficulty Level

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Archery Targets - Difficulty Level

Post by The Kriv » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:02 pm

The Archery Targets, IMO, poorly reflect the skill of the archer and the scale of difficulty between short, average and long distance has confounded me since I've been playing archers on this server (which pretty much has been since I've been on the server)

For example... a character with Ranger "Archer" path, and 15 levels of Arcane Archer Prestige Class...

Short Distance: nearly every shot = 50-Ring/Bulls Eye, Rarely 40 or below
Medium Distance: many shots = 50-Ring/Bulls eye, mostly 40-ring. Occasionally 30-ring. Rarely 20 or below
Long Distance: VERY Rarely 50-ring/Bulls eye, Rarely 40-ring, some 30-ring, mostly 20-ring or below.

I'm not saying to make it 'easier' -but rather how about a LITTLE more random-ness involved.

We used to have Archery Contests in Myon... but we never used the Archery Score that the Targets would announce. We always partied up and used the raw unmodified attack roll... which kind of defeats the whole purpose of the Archery Target Script.

As an Archer PC... I have a VERY difficult time getting other Archer PC's to be excited about an Archery Contest. And I've tried for years to promote this activity. Never have I had success. The feedback I usually get is that the Archery Targets just aren't very fun. I'd like to request an examination of the Target's Script and maybe a slight modification.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Cerk Evermoore

Re: Archery Targets - Difficulty Level

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Maybe something like the dartboard mechanics, although those are not modified by dex either.

The Kriv

Re: Archery Targets - Difficulty Level

Post by The Kriv » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:16 pm
Maybe something like the dartboard mechanics, although those are not modified by dex either.
This is "long distance" from a 15 Arcane Archer with +43 BA

What I would like to see is that once your character SUCCEEDS at getting a higher ring... if that character continues to make successive shots, the chances of muscle-memory kicking in to keep the "grouping" tight and continue to score higher would make for a little more fun, since at least if you a chance at a "lucky round" during your otherwise abysmal archery display.

At least this way, if you stood at the target and started shooting 10's... once you got a couple of 20's... you start hitting 20's... and then as you get a couple of 30's... you start hitting 30's... etc...

And with higher ability through either class or dex (or both) -or if you have Archery FEATS, you get bonuses to this happening quicker... so as you shoot successive attempts within the same hour, your skill slowly gets better... then fades as you stand around chatting...

Archers would be required to "warm up" before competing... and those with high skill, high level, feats or classes related to Archery would warm up 'faster' than others.

*shrugs* I dunno.. just seems a waste all these archery targets around... and all these Archer-Type specific class builds running around... and there aren't TONS and TONS of RP Skills Tourneys going on... No "bragging rights" no inter-settlement Challenges!

Dart boards are cool... but limited to Taverns. Archery Targets are Literally everywhere on the server, with scripts already ON them.. but barely ever touched...? Why is that? I could be wrong, but I think the scripting is the deterrent. (Sorry, Watchtower :( )
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen