(disguise) after character names

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Nobs

Re: (disguise) after character names

Post by Nobs » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:15 pm

But the rp of the moment wont change after a bunch of reports , it wil still be ruined.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Richørd wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:08 am
If you can't act in good faith and simply trust other players to not metagame then it seems to me that the issue might just be on your side. Learn how to not act on a pirate with mechanical tattoos while they covered their entire body in armor. Learn to ignore a slave collar if the character description specifically states that they RP having their neck hidden beneath a pulled up cloak.
Err.. Equating the slave collar and the tattoos with -disguise is entirely unfair, since there are mechanics in place already that allow you to hide your collar or your tattoos.

You can't expect to bypass the Bluff/Perform requirement for hiding your collar/tattoos by simply putting some extra text in the description. While I'm certain many players will happily oblige regardless, they are entirely in the right to act on a collar or tattoo.

Zed

Post by Zed » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:29 pm

I think the issue does come down to trust.

Do we all TRUST the people we know are good RPers to act accordingly? Yes.

Do we Trust the people we know are bad Rpers to act accordingly? No.

Can Bad Rpers ruin RP? yes.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Roleplay requires collaborative effort, and mutual trust is integral to that collaboration. If you play in Arelith thinking everyone's out to mess up your good time, you're going to be unhappy no matter what happens. Sometimes people will disappoint you, it's true, but you have to roll with the punches, even if those punches come from someone who's fighting dirty. The roleplay of the moment is never "ruined" so long as everyone remains in-character - it's just sometimes not what you expected it to be. This subject in particular is tricky because it's oftentimes not purposefully exploited, but rather just a case of mistakenly not understanding the rules about disguises. It's on you to be a good sport about this stuff, and so long as you are, something fun is going to come out of the situation. The best prescription for this circumstance is an attitude adjustment.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:23 am

Nobs wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:15 pm
But the rp of the moment wont change after a bunch of reports , it wil still be ruined.
This is very poor attitude. If your entire RP is ruined because one disguise is gone, you may want to re-think your concept. Magistrasa says it better than I, even.

You can easily create a new identity, and it's far better to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else than to not bother sending in a report.
Please don't feed my sister.

Zed

Post by Zed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:31 am

DM Titania wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:23 am
Nobs wrote:
This is very poor attitude. If your entire RP is ruined because one disguise is gone, you may want to re-think your concept. Magistrasa says it better than I, even.

You can easily create a new identity, and it's far better to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else than to not bother sending in a report.

I think what he means is being inflated. That session, that idea and that instant is being thrown out the window. Not the overall experience.

Its impossible to salvage somthing that has already happened even if you do report. The idea is to minimize when it happens.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:25 am

DM Titania wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:23 am
Nobs wrote:

if its gone cous some one meta games its shit and for the record i dont use disguise at all.
And yep Zed gets me.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Unfortunately, your idea of minimizing creates other problems. Your best resolution is to report to resolve it from happening to others, there may be some cases where we can intervene swiftly enough where your disguise could very well be salvaged (Cases where only a small group or individual knows), and others where a new one may fix the issue for you post-report.

Again I have not seen any disguise reports, albeit it was not easy to resolve in the era it was broken. When we start getting them, we can start minimizing meta-gaming by coaching those who are doing it.
Please don't feed my sister.