Myon Overhaul?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Cerk Evermoore

Re: Myon Overhaul?

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:12 pm

I don't know why people are complaining about getting extra quarters in Guldorand. It isn't like they are getting rid of Myon, it's just some extra quarters?

I dunno, I am happy for Myon with their overhaul and Guldorand's too.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:47 pm

On another server I played on there was a special area (in this case it was a grove for goodly drow, but idea might be fun here for an Evermeet settlement like Myon) that you could only access if you had a token. If you didn't have a token you'd just get lost in a woodland area kind of like our abyss/desert of the lost.

The tokens were more inclusive because they could be given to allies of any race, and they could also be given to infiltrators unwittingly. Created some very memorable RP for me.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:21 pm

I think quarter here does not mean room or estate, but rather district.

With that said, I do think mixing elves a bit more with the rest of the short lived folk (or giving them a reason to) is a good thing.

Shyntree

Post by Shyntree » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Shouldn't the decision on whether to make the Mythal allow non-elves or non-elven-accompanied PCs access to Myon be a decision which is made IC, by the actual government of Myon?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:46 pm

Shyntree wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:07 pm
Shouldn't the decision on whether to make the Mythal allow non-elves or non-elven-accompanied PCs access to Myon be a decision which is made IC, by the actual government of Myon?
Yes & no. This is the Devs world and have the creative rights to change anything they want. In a similar way when the tower was revamped..old players were frustrated they weren't consulted. But, eventually you roll with these changes.

Soulhaven was its own location but when Guldorand was revamped the first time it was moved into the settlement. There wasn't roleplay to warrant it, but the Devs were like "this is cool!"

This world belongs to them & we play in it. Instead of being frustrated if the change is goes through, try to find a way for it to make sense to you.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 pm

Also keep in mind, just because something makes sense In Character doesn't mean it should be done or supported Out of Character. Having flaws, problems, weaknesses in a system can actually be good for making story and fun game.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:22 pm

I think its excellent that guldorand will be getting a district. The cultural friction generated by having knife ears and humans living in such close proximity should generate a lot of great RP, regardless of the quality of the district. Slum (Dragon Age Flavor) or wealthy district (Bright movie flavor), elves are still elves, and any war between Guld and Myon is bound to get VERY interesting.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:54 am

Shyntree wrote:
In an ideal world, yes. What often happens is that a quest plotline will accompany an upcoming change, giving the players (especially those most affected) a chance to slightly alter the outcome and of course for it all to make some IC sense. Sometimes there are parts of the server that have to be changed for design reasons, and the players either lack the means to initiate change (trying to address something that is problematic from an OOC standpoint while remaining IC is very difficult), have no idea they can even inspire such a change, or are unwilling because they have a vested interest in things not changing (e.g. Benwick).

As for my own feelings on the change, while I understand the part about us being the guests on the Devs' playground, I really hope the last 3-4 years of fairly consistent and thematic old Guldorand RP is acknowledged in New Guldorand.

Also, I'm always a little skeptical about thematically hard-coded content -- what comes to mind are the often futile efforts of players to overcome the designation of the Devil's Table as the "Drow Quarter", or the various abandoned sites around the server whose specified factions/etc lack the numbers to occupy them while other would be tenants are turned away due to the overly-particular verbiage of the placenames and the NPC scripts. However, I do like how this seems to be another huge step away from [race]-only settlements. I'm very pleased with that direction and I would love to see a future Arelith where all settlements resemble Andunor: belonging to no-one race or alignment yet are equipped to house infighting and tension.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:33 pm

As for my own feelings on the change, while I understand the part about us being the guests on the Devs' playground, I really hope the last 3-4 years of fairly consistent and thematic old Guldorand RP is acknowledged in New Guldorand.
I hope so as well. I really do.
\

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:45 pm

Marsi wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:54 am
Shyntree wrote:
In an ideal world, yes. What often happens is that a quest plotline will accompany an upcoming change, giving the players (especially those most affected) a chance to slightly alter the outcome and of course for it all to make some IC sense. Sometimes there are parts of the server that have to be changed for design reasons, and the players either lack the means to initiate change (trying to address something that is problematic from an OOC standpoint while remaining IC is very difficult), have no idea they can even inspire such a change, or are unwilling because they have a vested interest in things not changing (e.g. Benwick).

Also, I'm always a little skeptical about thematically hard-coded content -- what comes to mind are the often futile efforts of players to overcome the designation of the Devil's Table as the "Drow Quarter", or the various abandoned sites around the server whose specified factions/etc lack the numbers to occupy them while other would be tenants are turned away due to the overly-particular verbiage of the placenames and the NPC scripts. However, I do like how this seems to be another huge step away from [race]-only settlements. I'm very pleased with that direction and I would love to see a future Arelith where all settlements resemble Andunor: belonging to no-one race or alignment yet are equipped to house infighting and tension.
Andunor works because of it being in UD, if it was on the surface it would be a battlefield like old Wharftown

if when the UD was revamped the sharps had all the spider motif then the sharps would be the " Drow Quarter". Though its been said that it wasnt planned it evolved to be such by the Drow players sticking with what was in a sense the Drow spot, while the sharps looked like the old slums of pit town. And everyone knows only houseless drow would ever live in the slums

From what I have seen about the New Guldorand in screen shots and posts, we should just hold on to our hats because the content will blow our socks off.
Yes I can sign

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:21 pm

This world belongs to them & we play in it
terrible perspective for a world that is by and large run by players with little to no DM intervention whatsoever.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:41 pm

Goblin only settlement when? Should be at least twice the size of Cordor.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 pm

TimeAdept wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:21 pm
This world belongs to them & we play in it
terrible perspective for a world that is by and large run by players with little to no DM intervention whatsoever.
Not really. There's a lot of things going on that involve DMs - they're much more active and involved now than they have been at any point in the game's history, I'd say. 99.8% of the playerbase also don't put in any time behind the scenes to make the game just function - I give them my $20 on patreon every month and a thumbs up and just wait to see what the dev team comes up with next.

They say that if a developer comes out of their den and sees their shadow, we'll have six more months without HAKs.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:22 am

Memelord wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 pm
They say that if a developer comes out of their den and sees their shadow, we'll have six more months without HAKs.
LOL

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Can drow mythal that prevents my elf from entering Devil's Table be lifted at the same time? :D

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:15 pm

Pretty sure that's called an 'Exile'
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:34 pm

A drow mythal in Andunor would probably solve a lot of problems drow factions have been having.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 pm

...or is it finally time for the long-overdue BENWICK UPGRADE?! :P

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:32 pm

CosmicOrderV wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:15 pm
Doubtful, I've never been to Andunor before or really come across any drow to warrant it :)

i remember a year or so ago a dm or dev comment about it that it was due to some black archers camping in Devil's Table

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:40 am

Another approach is to turn Myon into an epic dungeon similar to what Severed Hand is in Icewind Dale.

TL;DR: Something went wrong with Mythal, turn all the concurrent Elves in the vicinity into a form of cursed unlife and frozen in a timeframe.

Introduce the former Elves as the new bosses (littered with generic hostile Elven NPCs like Guards, Archers, Rangers, Wizards, etc.)

There, surface epic dungeon!

Really wanted to also mention Skal, but that'd be off-topic.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:44 am

Freyason wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:32 pm
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Doubtful, I've never been to Andunor before or really come across any drow to warrant it :)

i remember a year or so ago a dm or dev comment about it that it was due to some black archers camping in Devil's Table
There are three elves in Andunor. Two of which are slaves, one is free, all three have access to the devil's table. If there was a block on elves entering the table, its either alignment based, or it was lifted at some point.

Black archers camping the devil's table(and Udos, back in the day) is the height of cheese, and several players have historically been banned for doing it, because they universally were constantly trolling for PvP, especially against lowbies, and it is toxic to the server to allow that to happen in a starter city.

In a material sense, it would be no different than if a lvl 30 drow was camping inside of myon and jumping lvl 5s on a regular basis.

From an RP standpoint, the very idea of an insurgent sitting in the heart of an enemy base, surrounded by dozens of hostile NPCs, and a population of hundreds(or thousands) of unseen but implied hostile creatures is utterly absurd. Just as cordor is mordor for a goblin, Andunor is mordor for an elf. Only the very, very brave elves dare to tread there, and only the most monstrous (Duvain, for example) can hope to live there and be accepted by the local populace. The occasional (well, not so occasional, we kill a snooping elf once every three to four days on average, sometimes more often) elf spy is bold, but elves without shirts casually shopping in the market needs to never be a thing again.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:52 am

Kenji3108 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:40 am
Another approach is to turn Myon into an epic dungeon similar to what Severed Hand is in Icewind Dale.

TL;DR: Something went wrong with Mythal, turn all the concurrent Elves in the vicinity into a form of cursed unlife and frozen in a timeframe.

Introduce the former Elves as the new bosses (littered with generic hostile Elven NPCs like Guards, Archers, Rangers, Wizards, etc.)

There, surface epic dungeon!

Really wanted to also mention Skal, but that'd be off-topic.
I would hate that because it would be very unfair to all the people who RP there, but on the other hand that sounds AWESOME. When can I apply for my elf to be a bad guy in the dungeon?

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:40 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:44 am
Freyason wrote:
CosmicOrderV wrote:

There are three elves in Andunor. Two of which are slaves, one is free, all three have access to the devil's table. If there was a block on elves entering the table, its either alignment based, or it was lifted at some point.

Black archers camping the devil's table(and Udos, back in the day) is the height of cheese, and several players have historically been banned for doing it, because they universally were constantly trolling for PvP, especially against lowbies, and it is toxic to the server to allow that to happen in a starter city.

In a material sense, it would be no different than if a lvl 30 drow was camping inside of myon and jumping lvl 5s on a regular basis.

From an RP standpoint, the very idea of an insurgent sitting in the heart of an enemy base, surrounded by dozens of hostile NPCs, and a population of hundreds(or thousands) of unseen but implied hostile creatures is utterly absurd. Just as cordor is mordor for a goblin, Andunor is mordor for an elf. Only the very, very brave elves dare to tread there, and only the most monstrous (Duvain, for example) can hope to live there and be accepted by the local populace. The occasional (well, not so occasional, we kill a snooping elf once every three to four days on average, sometimes more often) elf spy is bold, but elves without shirts casually shopping in the market needs to never be a thing again.
Must be alignment based then as it kicked me to where I entered zone as I was walking by it. :)

Agreed that campers are silly, guess it got so bad that they banned all G/N elf characters from zone unless E/slave.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:44 pm

Freyason wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:40 pm
Durvayas wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:44 am
Freyason wrote:

Must be alignment based then as it kicked me to where I entered zone as I was walking by it. :)

Agreed that campers are silly, guess it got so bad that they banned all G/N elf characters from zone unless E/slave.
Send down dat boi Amadeo to test it. :P

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:39 pm

Just to give a little more information about about why the Guldorand/Myon thing is delayed, and my own continued absence from Arelith development.

Late last year I told the players that I would be away for a while. Last night I confirmed that I could give a little more information.

The situation is that I was approached by Ossian Studios (the makers of Darkness Over Daggerford and other NWN mods) and asked to do some NWN related work for them. I cannot give details of this, but it is something really rather exciting for NWN that I'm itching to share, and will do as soon as I am able. As soon as it is done I will return my full attention to Arelith, at which time I will pick up this Guldorand project.

I just wanted to reassure our players that I've not forgotten about Arelith, and in fact have rarely been busier. In the next month or two all will become clear, and the frantic update schedule we're used to on Arelith will continue.

I should also take a moment to thank LittleWeasel, Spyre, Morderon and the rest of the staff for really carrying things while I've been gone. It shouldn't be much longer now. I'm really missing this place.