Golems > Defender faction? (Golems in general)

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Mythic
Contributor
Contributor

Golems > Defender faction? (Golems in general)

Post by Mythic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 pm

As far as I know, if a Golem is set to stay in an area, or is unlinked to the control stone by stopping acting as a henchman. They just become passive (Unless attacked by people)

Is it possible to set them to the Defender faction, so they will attack hostile enemies that come into an area? That way they could be set to "guard" A location

Golems as they stand as a whole, requiring level 15 to make as well as Transmutation focus, feel like they would be over the top for lower content, but dont stand up to most higher content. But guarding towns and such, they feel perfect for it

But they dont attack monsters unless they are following you!

Even if a full golem rework is coming eventually, having them set to defender for an additional use would be a huge QoL change!
Howling around all year long

Orian_666

Re: Golems > Defender faction? (Golems in general)

Post by Orian_666 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:59 pm

A golem rework is on the agenda as far as i've been told (contributor told me in a suggestion I made about Golems some time back) so I do look forward to that.

However I think in the interim this is a great, and likely easily doable, idea.

Golems right now are a great feature, certainly something to be expanded upon and rebalanced, but as it is it's one of my favorite and underutilized features on the server. But for the most part outside of pure RP they're useless, lol.
They make for good guards vs low level trash, but by the time you can make them (or afford one, considering the risk of permanent loss if it dies while in your party) they're essentially useless for the content level, except the stone one but as soon as you hit epics it quickly falls into the same category as the iron and bone.

I think having them become "defender" faction upon unlinking will breathe a lot of life into them and grant a real useful functional use for them.

I think this is a great idea and would love to see it happen while we await a full rework (I'll be patient.. I promise :twisted: )

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Maybe ... just maybe ... the golem rework will also come with the surprise addition of Warforged as a playable race? *wink nudge nudge wink*

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:13 pm

Richørd wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:13 pm
Maybe ... just maybe ... the golem rework will also come with the surprise addition of Warforged as a playable race? *wink nudge nudge wink*
Honestly I'd be surprised if you couldn't get one already with a unique 5% request, you'd just need to make sure the story for it was up to par :D

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:22 am

Gah - hope Warforged stays a 5% if at all.

That said, I'm hopeful the rework includes Homunculus and other sub-15 level utility golems. It'd be fantastic if we could also get access to their inventory so they could carry [granite]. I really like the Defender faction, but it'd be grand if the controller to assign a faction while dropping Party (e.g. remove from Party while assigned to -guard a gate object or the Watch Wizard at the gate)
~~~~~~
Badger
Wynn
RIP: Paddy

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:28 am

This is the suggestion I made a good while back with a bunch of potential new Golems and their stats and abilities, both stronger and weaker than our current Golems. I think a Homunculus would also be an awesome addition :D

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14418&p=120253

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:31 am

Looking back at it now there are some changes to that suggestion that i'd make, but it at least gives an idea for potentially new golems in the future :)

Lunargent

Post by Lunargent » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:02 pm

Richørd wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:13 pm
Warforged are unique to the Eberron campaign setting.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 pm

Yea but Arelith is very homebrew in a lot of ways.
I wouldn't be surprised if a 5% warforged was permitted if a strong enough application was made for it.