Ammunition Templates and Essences

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

three wolf moon

Ammunition Templates and Essences

Post by three wolf moon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:04 pm

Having played an archer to 30, I've used my fair share of templates. Overall I like this mechanic, but I have some feedback on it.

Please make spells last longer on them. Even making them give 10 charges instead of 5 would help. This is merely a convenience/annoyance issue, because it just means you're inconveniencing people for longer by holding them hostage to cast an absurd amount of spells on the template. Really, it would just feel kinder to other people to make them have to rest less just to do me a favor making sure I have arrows to shoot.

The temporary templates, I feel, could stand to have 10 or so more charges on them. They usually cost quite a bit to obtain (10k+ for a standard), and are more difficult to keep up with (you have to keep finding people to cast spells/use essences on them). I would like to see them output slightly more to offset the pains it takes to keep it full.

The non-temporary templates which take mostly perm essences are the worst. It costs over 10k for a +4 perm essence, which is not even PERMANENT on a template. If you are not buying them but making them, the materials can be prohibitively costly to make, and you have to sacrifice points in carpentry or tailoring (to make your bow or ranger clothes) to keep making essences to fill the Stable/Basic templates. Please consider making permanent essences permanent, because currently there is no reason to use them over spells, which are cheaper and have more potent effects. It would be nice to have several stable templates with different setups you can fall back on if none of your spellcasting friends are around. Making essences permanent would give Stable templates a place in an archer's arsenal at all. No other class has to buy/make perm essences for themselves with such frequency.

Other than these things, I feel like templates are in a pretty good place.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Ammunition Templates and Essences

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 pm

three wolf moon wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:04 pm
The non-temporary templates which take mostly perm essences are the worst. It costs over 10k for a +4 perm essence, which is not even PERMANENT on a template. If you are not buying them but making them, the materials can be prohibitively costly to make, and you have to sacrifice points in carpentry or tailoring (to make your bow or ranger clothes) to keep making essences to fill the Stable/Basic templates. Please consider making permanent essences permanent, because currently there is no reason to use them over spells, which are cheaper and have more potent effects. It would be nice to have several stable templates with different setups you can fall back on if none of your spellcasting friends are around. Making essences permanent would give Stable templates a place in an archer's arsenal at all. No other class has to buy/make perm essences for themselves with such frequency.
I may be misinterpreting this, but are you saying that the permanent essences on your stable template are running out? I've used the same stable template with permanent essence for at least ten thousand arrows, without any issues.

Are you just not repairing your template, and creating new ones?
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Ebonstar

Re: Ammunition Templates and Essences

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:01 pm

permanent essence is just that permanent, my toon carries a pair of stables to give a wide variety of ammo possibilities. He also carried forge repair kits to keep them at 21 when he has made two sets each to not forget.

Ammo is altered by changing the unstable section with scrolls or essence. They are also repairable, so unlike the standard or complex that yes have only ten charges and are gone after they are, perm essence is still perm.

oh and my toon make +4 essence and for the time used an resources your quite right that it costs to get them, and they are normally 25k plus not near 10k
Yes I can sign