Caravans!

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Mythic
Contributor
Contributor

Caravans!

Post by Mythic » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 pm

The caravan system, while absolutely fantastic for getting around Arelith at low levels for cheap amounts, feels a bit pants compared to the ships and portal systems on the Island!

Is Time-Gated to certain parts of the in game day (Multiple thankfully) unlike Ships and portals available 100% of the time

There is that -Very Cool- Cutscene-esque thing when you are kidnapped by the Caravan-Masters after having bought a ticket, of him riding on a horse to your destination. Which sadly ships and portals do not have, and are instead instantanious

And on the previous point, about being Kidnapped by a Caravan-Master? I've seen it prevalent in Bendir, and I'm sure we've all likely experienced being in the middle of a captivating conversation in game, only to have either yourself, or your chatting partner be whisked away with a simple

*Departs with the Caravan* Floating above their head.

Personally it feels a little out of date. It could do with maybe a small QoL update, Even if the Caravan-Masters bump their prices up from 25 Gold to 50 (like Boats) to start running at all periods of the Day (Though not at Night!)

Do Caravans need a warning before your abducted? Like the accept screen of a -yoink? Who knows, sometimes you may want to stay at your previous location instead of being forcibly stuffed onto a wagon.

What do you think Forums of Arelith? Are Caravans in a rough state? Or are they fine?
Howling around all year long

Richørd

Re: Caravans!

Post by Richørd » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:53 pm

The Caravan Master is a big chungus, according to my book of "Kidfriendly Translations for Insults".

Jokes aside, I think the caravan master should just anounce that "the caravan is about to leave soon!" or something like that.

Even better would be a system where one would have to accept the caravan travel like with the -yoink mechanic.

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:33 am

One of the other servers i played on had an interesting caravan system. Taking it would port you to the inside of a transport wagon along with everyone else waiting for the same transport and depending on the distance you and the others would be inside this wagon for a variable amount of time. While inside you would be able to freely move around inside the wagon and interact.

There was also a chance for the caravan getting attacked en route in which case you would be ported to a random map and had to defend the caravan. The longer the distance and the higher the levels of the players the more likely an attack was to happen and the stronger and more numerous the attackers would be. Oh and sometimes the caravan would be attacked multiple times if you were unlucky.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:08 am

Vrass wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:33 am
One of the other servers i played on had an interesting caravan system. Taking it would port you to the inside of a transport wagon along with everyone else waiting for the same transport and depending on the distance you and the others would be inside this wagon for a variable amount of time. While inside you would be able to freely move around inside the wagon and interact.

There was also a chance for the caravan getting attacked en route in which case you would be ported to a random map and had to defend the caravan. The longer the distance and the higher the levels of the players the more likely an attack was to happen and the stronger and more numerous the attackers would be. Oh and sometimes the caravan would be attacked multiple times if you were unlucky.
Was that Mistriven Falls? That system sounds suuuuper familiar.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:41 pm

I want to comment that those who consistently use the caravan system include surface players who are trying to hide their mechanical identity by avoiding road mobs. Random encounters would hurt the game for those that have invested the time to keep their characters secrets secret.

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:30 am

I think the server was Thay. Never heard of Mistriven Falls?

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:32 am

I used to play on a server with a "coach" systerm somewhat simillar. You had a coach "stop" where you had to wait for the coach to arrive (represented by a glowy-disk like our portals w/o the light-shaft) -when you boarded, you had little couches to sit on, and when the coach would leave, the territories it would pass through on its route, you could jump off at any point and land in the middle of the road of that territory.

Longer trips cost more gold and took physically longer, and it was not uncommon to ride with strangers.

On this server there were no "attacks" by bandits... but if you jumped out mid-trip somewhere, it was very likely that where you jumped off would be near an encounter spawn, and so jumping off always carried a bit of a risk (depending on the particular route you were traversing)

-also, if you were in a territory that had a coach-route, you could see the coach as it passed through and jump "on" it mid-trip too (provided you could pay full fare) which meant PC Banditry was a thing too.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen