Writ level restrictions

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Sea Shanties

Re: Writ level restrictions

Post by Sea Shanties » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Slow(er) progression and epic writs can co-exist. Daily writs to patrol a settlement's area could give some minimal XP, just good enough to motivate you to log in and something. Weekly writs to epic dungeons could require a party to complete them and turn them in and give more generous rewards, but you actually have to work for them.

I also feel a massive loss of purpose at epic levels. I think so many people here know the server inside and out, it seems really tough to put a party together to just go explore for the sake of exploring. Going to get this or that ore, sure, or maybe go grind in one of the known best spots, but actually adventuring in epics? In two years since I've returned I've been on only a handful of classic D&D-style epic level dungeon crawls. I think epic writs would do a lot to inspire people to actually adventure.

Doesn't have to mean you progress as fast as you do from 1-20, just gives people who aren't driven 100% by political, settlement or crafting RP some ideas where to go.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:22 am

What if epic writs gave random runic materials instead of XP/gold?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:46 am

could be some epic writs that can only be done once per character after lvl 21.
like:
kill bosses at red dragon isle once.
kill paush and other abyss boss once.
ect.

Ecthelion

Post by Ecthelion » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:15 pm

Seekeepeek wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:46 am
could be some epic writs that can only be done once per character after lvl 21.
like:
kill bosses at red dragon isle once.
kill paush and other abyss boss once.
ect.
Even that I'd be against, mainly because I don't ever want to be spoiled things like Paush by an OOC Writmaster saying it to me.
Finding it IC was way more fun and attractive.
Arelith is nice because it does not give you all the keys to the world. I think keeping it that way would be nice.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:40 pm

I think it'd be nice if some of the level 16-20 writs were moved up. Aurilites, the Orc Citadel and several others are not ones your general party is going to accomplish by level 20(23) unless they've played a lot on other characters and know what to expect. I've seen level 30 parties get wrecked in some of those areas, no matter ones with new players.

I agree that writs shouldn't include every possible dungeon, but it'd be great if there were writs to boost the reward (gold/items) of large parties going out to do hard areas - and then if you're over level 20 you just don't get xp for the writ. That way you can help out your level 20 friends but you aren't writ-speed leveling.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Ecthelion

Post by Ecthelion » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:57 pm

WanderingPoet wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:40 pm
I think it'd be nice if some of the level 16-20 writs were moved up. Aurilites, the Orc Citadel and several others are not ones your general party is going to accomplish by level 20(23) unless they've played a lot on other characters and know what to expect. I've seen level 30 parties get wrecked in some of those areas, no matter ones with new players.

I agree that writs shouldn't include every possible dungeon, but it'd be great if there were writs to boost the reward (gold/items) of large parties going out to do hard areas - and then if you're over level 20 you just don't get xp for the writ. That way you can help out your level 20 friends but you aren't writ-speed leveling.
Yeah I'm all up for moving those writs in upper levels or at least give a good warning. Because well, when you go alone to the Malar Temple with your level 13-15 for the first time ... Well.

Lord_Nick_Bee

Post by Lord_Nick_Bee » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Ecthelion wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:57 pm
Yeah I'm all up for moving those writs in upper levels or at least give a good warning. Because well, when you go alone to the Malar Temple with your level 13-15 for the first time ... Well.
Oh god... the Malar temple... just getting there and being sniped by archers and beast spikes is a nightmare I won't forget...

As for the subject at hand, I'm new to the server and love the writ system, my highest char is lvl 17 and reading through here made me scared of reaching 21... I mean, I have a char that can't really solo, and finding help to do writ is already really hard. Having money is already something really hard also. I have to solo low level dungeon... I had hoped it would be different passed 20... but it seems I'm in for a whole lot of exploding bodies while I run through a low level dungeon for lunch money :(