Lenses change

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

flower

Re: Lenses change

Post by flower » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:14 pm

How exactly are lenses making epic transmuter redundant?

Can portal lens create portal out of nowher?
No.

Can portal lens improve ZOO buffs casted on character?
No.

Does -teleport and creating portal cost 3 000 gp?
No.

What are you trying to balance? :roll:

Edit: and if THAT is an issue, lets remove summons? They make warriors redundant. :cry:

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:16 pm

Sorry, but epic transmuters are not redundant at all. Not only do they get +2 to all zoo buffs (that is gold!), they can -teleport anywhere for free (3-3.5k is not much to some, but significant to others to save time in unwanted travel...namely those with RL time constraints), or they can create a functioning portal source anywhere without having to travel elsewhere.

Epic transmutation is something I "almost" consider more important than epic conjuration nowadays, to be honest, and i know others feel the same way.

As far as exploits go...sorry, that is another thing that should be fixed, but if not, then DMs should be informed so that bans/deletions/other hopefully incredibly harsh and permanent punishments can occur to those who use exploits for their own benefit.

Edit: Heh...Flower put it better than i did I think.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:24 pm

Epic Transmutation is probably the single best focus for wizards right now if you don't care about PvP power, and is one of the best focuses even then.

Your proposed change adds additional steps to a process solely in the name of stopping an exploit, punishing regular players for something you should be reporting to the DMs so they can ban those people anyways. Nothing stops any of this supposed "RP generation" from happening when you teleport wherever it is you want to go. All this does is add an undue burden to people who have either limited daily playtime, or might have to leave for any reason.

To use your own arguement: Preloading lenses is already against the rules, and already an exploit. People will, per the DM team, get punished for that.

Don't punish the rest of us for it.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:39 pm

When you're making around 10k per writ run at level 8, what sort of maniac isn't walking around with at least 3 lenses at all times? No one needs a portal source on the ground when you've always got them in your pocket. 3k gold (2k in some places!) is NOTHING.

Also, I said "a feature" of ESF:Trans. And pretty much the only unique feature of ESF:Trans, because guess what? At GSF, you can do everything else. You can make golems. You can -teleport. You can roll 6 on your zoo spells (which is all you need, if the person you're playing with built smart and didn't leave any odd numbers in their stats). ESF at that point is just the +7 for the people who regularly use skleens to make the most of that extra stat point (I say this knowing really everyone should skleen because Ultimate Power Game but I'mma be real, that's too much effort for me personally), and the DC bonus for, uh... y'know, that Transmutation spell everyone uses! I can't think of one, but I'm sure it exists and I'm sure it's good.

Don't get me wrong, the zoo spell bonus is awesome, I'm not stupid enough to come out here in front of the whole internet and say ESF:Trans is useless. But everything other than the zoo spell buff is absolutely 100% useless, because if you want cool companions you're going to go Conjuration, and if you want to give your friends portal access you're going to just carry extra lenses.

EDIT: That's all I have to say on all this, and it's kinda off-topic, so I'm going to stop responding to this thread unless explicitly asked a (non-condescending) question, lest we fall into the feedback forum's usual pit of talking in circles. These are just my opinions and I hold them close to my chest - I understand that people disagree, and I understand why! People have brought up good counterpoints (like the no server crossover bit, didn't think about that!), but I still believe the change I proposed is worthy of consideration. Honestly, I'm just glad it's being genuinely considered. Whatever happens from here is just gonna have to happen.
Last edited by magistrasa on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Folk only use lenses for a few reasons:

1) To quickly return to a safe location, whether because they need to log off, or do not want (or cant) proceed with a dungeon;
2) To get an easy out of a situation they dislike (usually RP that might lead to PvP);
3) To quickly travel a specific location.

I have found that 1) and 2) are far more common than 3). Very few people will actually break a lens just to save some time getting somewhere, they are far more likely to run there, or to the closest portal source, despite what their current gold situation might be.

The suggested change changes nothing for 1) and 2) in fact. You just can't preload your lens, which is good. Seriously, it can be against the rules but people will still do it. Just how many times have you filed reports you have a feeling got lost in the ever growing pile of reports? Less reports are good for everyone. Happy DMs equal happy players.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:24 pm

Honestly, the presented change doesn't actually do anything except mildly inconvenience people, and make certain respawn points annoying to be attuned to (the ones miles from a portal source).

Honestly, in my experience, lenses are less about escaping from trouble and more about moving more rapidly towards it, intentionally. They're my means of responding to speedy messages while out in the wilderness and a long way from a portal, not a means of escaping from potential consequences of pvp.

All this change does is add five minutes of walking to everything. Something utterly and totally unnecessary.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:26 pm

magistrasa wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:39 pm
When you're making around 10k per writ run at level 8, what sort of maniac isn't walking around with at least 3 lenses at all times? No one needs a portal source on the ground when you've always got them in your pocket. 3k gold (2k in some places!) is NOTHING.

Also, I said "a feature" of ESF:Trans. And pretty much the only unique feature of ESF:Trans, because guess what? At GSF, you can do everything else. You can make golems. You can -teleport. You can roll 6 on your zoo spells (which is all you need, if the person you're playing with built smart and didn't leave any odd numbers in their stats). ESF at that point is just the +7 for the people who regularly use skleens to make the most of that extra stat point (I say this knowing really everyone should skleen because Ultimate Power Game but I'mma be real, that's too much effort for me personally), and the DC bonus for, uh... y'know, that Transmutation spell everyone uses! I can't think of one, but I'm sure it exists and I'm sure it's good.

Don't get me wrong, the zoo spell bonus is awesome, I'm not stupid enough to come out here in front of the whole internet and say ESF:Trans is useless. But everything other than the zoo spell buff is absolutely 100% useless, because if you want cool companions you're going to go Conjuration, and if you want to give your friends portal access you're going to just carry extra lenses.

EDIT: That's all I have to say on all this, and it's kinda off-topic, so I'm going to stop responding to this thread unless explicitly asked a (non-condescending) question, lest we fall into the feedback forum's usual pit of talking in circles. These are just my opinions and I hold them close to my chest - I understand that people disagree, and I understand why! People have brought up good counterpoints (like the no server crossover bit, didn't think about that!), but I still believe the change I proposed is worthy of consideration. Honestly, I'm just glad it's being genuinely considered. Whatever happens from here is just gonna have to happen.
ok im asking something, what is a preloaded lens?, because when i skimmed the whole deal i missed that and still dont have a clue what it is
Yes I can sign

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:29 pm

Shadowy Reality wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:46 pm
Folk only use lenses for a few reasons:

1) To quickly return to a safe location, whether because they need to log off, or do not want (or cant) proceed with a dungeon;
2) To get an easy out of a situation they dislike (usually RP that might lead to PvP);
3) To quickly travel a specific location.

I have found that 1) and 2) are far more common than 3). Very few people will actually break a lens just to save some time getting somewhere, they are far more likely to run there, or to the closest portal source, despite what their current gold situation might be.

The suggested change changes nothing for 1) and 2) in fact. You just can't preload your lens, which is good. Seriously, it can be against the rules but people will still do it. Just how many times have you filed reports you have a feeling got lost in the ever growing pile of reports? Less reports are good for everyone. Happy DMs equal happy players.
forgot number 4 to leave a dungeon end or plane end or something similar that doesnt have an end exit portal. Yes they still exist
Yes I can sign

Mythical

Post by Mythical » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Lady Astray - The apology is nice but I also found the comments highly offensive. I'm not sure what horror stories you are hearing but perhaps have some first hand knowledge before you start bashing a large portion of the player base from just rumors and other people's opinions. Comments like you slung out in anger frustration or worry are a big reason why I don't advertise who I am ooc on any character I play or why I tend to reply so infrequently to things I have an opinion on. It would be greatly appreciated if thought was put in first before a post is made in haste. I'm very sorry to single you out but in this case I'm not sure how it wouldn't have.

As for the change? I personally am not a fan but wasn't planning on saying anything and seeing how it actually goes. As a UD player I request a respawn point in the Treadstone. So if for any reason I may be on surface (and no I have not been a part of all these raids everyone has been protesting) and have to go because of a RL reason I don't end up standing by the arcane tower.

Sadly this does put into my mind that perhaps I should start running from point to point like I see so many other people do and skip any rp that could be had in between just so I can get somewhere safe when I have to log.
Last edited by Mythical on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:38 pm

If someone uses the Epic Abjuration command "-ward teleport" or if they enter combat with you, you cannot use a lens. "Preloading" a lens means, as soon as you see someone you don't like, or you get the sense that something bad is going to happen, you right click the lens and open up the dialogue box, but continue roleplaying with the person you think is going to attack you. Even if they -ward after that, even after they attack you to prevent you from escaping, you can still teleport away because the lens was already used. It's considered an exploit because it subverts mechanics put in place to restrict lens use.

Most people aren't aware this is an exploit, I don't think, because I see it happen kinda often. Heck, I've done it when I was a newer player - on recommendation from other players no less. So even though it's against the rules, people might do it just because they're not aware of that fact, or if it's done against someone they might not know they should report it.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:48 pm

ok its the phrasing that threw me thinking it is a macro or some 3rd party auto load function

if you find yourself having the notion to use a lens to escape a situation, just use the dang lens.

in regards to your wonky gory torture comment, its way off base. I myself have had toon who do torture and yes its gory and nightmarish BUT, its always done with consent and never continued if that consenting player says stop or enough in a tell.

making a change because it might come about without fact that it will happen, is like not leaving the house because you might be hit by a car.
Yes I can sign

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:24 pm
Honestly, in my experience, lenses are less about escaping from trouble and more about moving more rapidly towards it, intentionally. They're my means of responding to speedy messages while out in the wilderness and a long way from a portal, not a means of escaping from potential consequences of pvp.
Yeah, I don't have as much time these days, and I use lenses to get to the place where the RP is so I don't have to waste 5-10 minutes walking or going through ferries to the nearest portal.

I've only used a lens once to "escape" PvP in recent memory, and it was by running away on foot until my pursuers were out of range, and then lensing. I could've just kept running. There was no great advantage to it.

It already takes like an hour to herd a group for any kind of outing. I don't like the idea of being punished even more for having other things to do.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Hellfire

Post by Hellfire » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Lady Astray wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:09 pm
4. Consent

Just hearing about some of the torture and slave RP that goes on makes me squirm. Quite frankly I will never consent to it and you can't force me to. Not through in game mechanics. I keep -unrelent on so if you ever do corner me and force me into PVPing you the worst you can do is make me lose some XP and say you beat me up or killed me or whatever. There are plenty of players willing to engage in that stuff and plenty of newbies who get forced into it because they can't afford a portal lens or don't know about the -unrelent command. It's not my cup of tea though and I'm not doing it. If portal lenses are nerfed pretty soon I'm sure a bunch of people are going to start crying about -unrelent and saying they should be able to tie my character up and chop her ears off and stuff. Know what my response will be when -unrelent gets taken away? I'll log off. I log into the server to role play an epic hero, to escape from real life and indulge in my own power fantasy. Not to satisfy your BDSM/Gore Fetishes. I'm not going to be your play thing in RP no matter how much you cry to the DM's or the devs to change the rules and game mechanics. Deal with it.
Lady Astray wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:09 pm
I apologize for offending some of you. Not trying to sling mud or insult anyone. I worded that part poorly.
I expect to draw some ire for this, but I feel the need to make two points about your statements here. Consent first, since you are speaking of torture RP, slave RP, and PvP that leads to it then I will address them in that order.
  • Torture RP is 100% subject to consent. No player is required to simply roll with whatever another puts inside of an emote. If you don't agree that it happened then to your character it never happened.
  • Slave RP is also 100% subject to consent. The only way into slavery is for you to voluntarily give your character that condition at creation or through an NPC dialog that warns you of the choice. In addition to this there are multiple mechanics for either removing the clamp or even revoking ownership of your character before you even bring the DMs into it.
  • PvP Consent is a bit less cut and dry. When you log on to play in a server that includes PvP, you are implicitly giving consent to the possibility of that conflict (within the rules). The rules require hostile interactive RP before the PvP starts and you are always free to try and escape, but you are not guaranteed that your character will never get beat up by anyone that you don't pre-approve, that just isn't what this server is.
As for forcing you into any of the above, the most another player can 'force' you into is PvP within the rules. And even then, if they kill your character, no character involved in the fight against you is allowed to revive your character for capture/slavery/torture/questioning/apology without your expressed approval to wave the 24 hour rule following the PvP. Anyone ignoring that is subject to report to the DMs.

Secondly, your statement was intentionally hostile and aggressive. If it stems from personal experience then those instances should be reported to the DMs and Admins. If it does not, in my opinion, you owe those that you are coloring with such a broad and accusatory brush more then "I worded that part poorly".

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Gobbo Champion Inc wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:24 pm
I am stunned. Not because I think people should be forced to become slaves or be tortured, or that constant pvp is a good thing, but because of that mindset there. That players are entitled to their power fantasy without obstruction, and anyone who threatens that is bad, and needs to go away. Or worse is slandered as some kind of deviant. If its easy to be an epic hero, if one does not need to confront harrowing evil to claim that mantle, then what is the purpose? Why play arelith over co-op, or some bioware singleplayer power fantasy?

What happened to the mindset presented here? http://wiki.arelith.com/When_Bad_Things ... dventurers
You have it all together. You have a heart full of ambition. You have a purpose, a cause, a star to follow, and nothing is going to stand in your way! Then life drops a fireball at your feet.

You lost your death-bringing sword to a pickpocket, you ran into a party of marauders, someone called you names, or things just didn't go as planned. Buck up, young adventurer, all is not lost! Even the bad things that happen to you may lead to new opportunities. There is much more to do than sit and curse the gods or bemoan cruel fate.

Instead, you could: Take it in stride. Take the matter to a city official. Start a movement. Use it as an opportunity to build ties. Band together with a group for mutual support. Join a pre-existing organization for support. Redouble your determination. Develop a sympathy for the suffering of others. Spread the word and warn others of whatever it is that happened to you. Go along with it. Build on it.

Don't just ride with the current, propel it! See how far the ripples reach. Remember that your character is not you. Think about who your character would actually turn to in need. A friend? A mentor? Himself? If needed support or sympathy isn't there, how does that affect them? Keep asking, now what? And answer!

Avoid angst. Everyone wants to be angsty because it's so dark and impressive and makes everyone love you... only not. It's really not that special. There's more to you than that. Who can afford to spend all that time brooding, (and hours upon hours of brooding are required for angst) when there are monsters to be splatted, governments to build and topple, intrigues to make intriguing, gods to please and appease and generally a lot of stuff that's far more fun and interesting for everyone involved? Keep things in perspective. Lost a bit of gold in a robbery? Well, you escaped with your life. Got smacked down? Well, you just learned not to tease an ancient dragon about its age. And, c'mon, admit it. It makes the game fun and interesting.

Remember that you are an adventurer. Adventurers live dangerous lives, full of all kinds of risks. Something bad will happen eventually. Plan ahead. Don't do things unless you're willing to accept the consequences. Realize that the consequences might extend to things you haven't planned for. And, when bad things do happen, look for tangles of cause and effect. Why did it happen? What led to it? Is it not fair, or just not something you wanted? Is it the result of a dangerous world? Is there a good story hidden in it? If then what?

If then... if then... what if?

Take it in stride.
bad things happen yes, but portal destinations are place for access to these places. Lets bring up something that has not been mentioned yet.

Casual players who have taken the time to gather portals when they had more time log in and now find they have to walk or take a ship because they cannot use the lens or portal destination anymore.

The hour they had to play is now over, and their time is deemed not worthwhile because they dont have hours upon end to play like everyone else.

Any change that takes the casual player out of the mix is a bad change, because sometimes we can only make an hour to play and we sure dont want to watch everyone else rush off to kill the dragon, while we sit and waste our short time because portal and lenses dont allow swift travel anymore

Edit Midget brought this into light as well
Yes I can sign

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Hellfire wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:57 pm
Lady Astray wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:09 pm
4. Consent

Just hearing about some of the torture and slave RP that goes on makes me squirm. Quite frankly I will never consent to it and you can't force me to. Not through in game mechanics. I keep -unrelent on so if you ever do corner me and force me into PVPing you the worst you can do is make me lose some XP and say you beat me up or killed me or whatever. There are plenty of players willing to engage in that stuff and plenty of newbies who get forced into it because they can't afford a portal lens or don't know about the -unrelent command. It's not my cup of tea though and I'm not doing it. If portal lenses are nerfed pretty soon I'm sure a bunch of people are going to start crying about -unrelent and saying they should be able to tie my character up and chop her ears off and stuff. Know what my response will be when -unrelent gets taken away? I'll log off. I log into the server to role play an epic hero, to escape from real life and indulge in my own power fantasy. Not to satisfy your BDSM/Gore Fetishes. I'm not going to be your play thing in RP no matter how much you cry to the DM's or the devs to change the rules and game mechanics. Deal with it.
Lady Astray wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:09 pm
I apologize for offending some of you. Not trying to sling mud or insult anyone. I worded that part poorly.
I expect to draw some ire for this, but I feel the need to make two points about your statements here. Consent first, since you are speaking of torture RP, slave RP, and PvP that leads to it then I will address them in that order.
  • Torture RP is 100% subject to consent. No player is required to simply roll with whatever another puts inside of an emote. If you don't agree that it happened then to your character it never happened.
  • Slave RP is also 100% subject to consent. The only way into slavery is for you to voluntarily give your character that condition at creation or through an NPC dialog that warns you of the choice. In addition to this there are multiple mechanics for either removing the clamp or even revoking ownership of your character before you even bring the DMs into it.
  • PvP Consent is a bit less cut and dry. When you log on to play in a server that includes PvP, you are implicitly giving consent to the possibility of that conflict (within the rules). The rules require hostile interactive RP before the PvP starts and you are always free to try and escape, but you are not guaranteed that your character will never get beat up by anyone that you don't pre-approve, that just isn't what this server is.
As for forcing you into any of the above, the most another player can 'force' you into is PvP within the rules. And even then, if they kill your character, no character involved in the fight against you is allowed to revive your character for capture/slavery/torture/questioning/apology without your expressed approval to wave the 24 hour rule following the PvP. Anyone ignoring that is subject to report to the DMs.

Secondly, your statement was intentionally hostile and aggressive. If it stems from personal experience then those instances should be reported to the DMs and Admins. If it does not, in my opinion, you owe those that you are coloring with such a broad and accusatory brush more then "I worded that part poorly".
Just want to actually back up part of this statement, (though I remain neutral on the last bit.)

No one who pvped you should be raising your character without your EXPRESS CONCENT to wave the PvP rule.

If they do so without your concent, please report it.

If you feel that your character is being subjected to some sort of graphic none PG13 situation, REPORT IT.

For the record though - I actually like lenses as they are and would be sad to see them change. Firstly because I think it would result in a lot more successful pvp deaths- which would result in a lot more sore feelings.
Secondly because like Rambeling Midgit, I don't always have a lot of time to play, and I enjoy the quick transport that a lense provides.

And the Pro arguments for it are a bit weak.
*It will prevent people escaping PVP!
'Yes, but attunement potions are still a thing. And really it'll just make more -deaths- in pvp. It won't (shouldn't!) be forcing people into any sort of narrative consequence. And more deaths tend to just mean a cheepening of death.

*It will make Epic Transmutation more useful!
'But it's pretty darn useful as it is. Aside from the obvious ability to teleport ones self, to make portals, to have enhanced zoo buffs, and other small Transmutation enhancements, Transmutation also allows for Golem Grafting. Which isn't a huge bonus, but it still a bonus. Transmutation is far from rendered obsolete by portal lenses.

* It will encourage people to walk more!
'Eh. I'm not sure. You can still hop between portals quite easily, it'll just mean that people needing to go places in a hurry are a bit more stymied. And as much as I don't mind nature travel, if I want to be awed by beautful scenery and lonely, sweeping landscapes a play Skyrim. I play Arelith for the rp.'

Another aspect that worries me a little, is won't this muddy the water between 'Respawn' and 'Teleported.'
E.g. - Let's say there's a big battle between the Drow and the Arcane Tower lot. Well, if your respawn point is the Arcane Tower, then how will the Drow players know if you've teleported there, or you've respawned there? Would it be much fun to say, die in PVE, respawn at the Arcane Tower horribly weakened, and then get immedatly killed again by a raiding party? I can just see an amount of messyness occuring because of that.

Also lore wise, why would you be 'teleporting' to a place where souls go when they die? Isn't that just a bit strange? It just feels like an odd thing narritivly to me.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Lady Astray

Post by Lady Astray » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:10 pm

Yeah I apologize. I have no issue with it I guess.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:11 pm

one more part of the suggestion, that all respawn bind points are near a portal source is incorrect.

Bendir no source
Andunor if in the UD and not an outcast UD race etc you would appear where nearest portal is to haul backside through multiple trans to the outpost
Guldaland area have to go the weatherstone.
Brog area your near a boat not a portal source
Ruined Wharftown no portal only a boat

These alone and im sure there are more out there that i dont know about make the suggestion moot for lack of fact behind it
Yes I can sign

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:20 pm

Lady Astray wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:10 pm
i played a toon that was being the epic hero and during a walkabout with another we got jumped and my toon was captured and put in a cell and had to wait for rescue, which was filled with tons of great Rp during and after.

using -unrelent after someone takes time to subdue you is ignoring the time and effort they are taking to create a story, Not allowing the other team to make stories as well by saying I will log off, is a bit selfish as you have to have the villain to be a hero.

Even superman has his weakness, and has been captured from time to time.

Oh and last thing, you state you refuse to be the pawn of being tied and captured, What if we decide that we wont be the one for your hero to be so heroic about by acting the same way.
Every story has two sides, if everyone is refusing then it will be an awful empty sandbox to play in
Yes I can sign

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:40 pm

I don't know, I'd happily have any respawn point work other then the Arcane Tower. Being sent to a tower where you have to run a gauntlet just to reach the portal source is like the worst place you could ever be sent. What is worse is most of the alternative respawn points don't even seem to work.

Lady Astray

Post by Lady Astray » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:44 pm

I was a bit emotional about the last part of that post because some of the stuff I've heard sounds pretty gruesome. Long as game mechanics allow us the option to somehow avoid torture/slave RP I'm fine with it. I don't mind being forced into PVP and having my character killed in battle every now and then, long as they can at least die with some dignity. I'm not trying to insult anyone who is into that stuff, just saying it's not something I wish to participate in. Maybe someday I'll be more open minded with another character, who knows. So again, I apologize to anyone I offended, it was not my intent to do so.

flower

Post by flower » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:47 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:20 pm
Lady Astray wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:10 pm

using -unrelent after someone takes time to subdue you is ignoring the time and effort they are taking to create a story, Not allowing the other team to make stories as well by saying I will log off, is a bit selfish as you have to have the villain to be a hero.

Even superman has his weakness, and has been captured from time to time.

Oh and last thing, you state you refuse to be the pawn of being tied and captured, What if we decide that we wont be the one for your hero to be so heroic about by acting the same way.
Every story has two sides, if everyone is refusing then it will be an awful empty sandbox to play in
We do not play superman. And it is free choice of any player to decide if wished to be captured with character or not. And noone is forcing you to make someone else a hero. You were angered when pointed at players of villains yet you point too at all people who set unrelent because captivity (least in given form) is unpleasant experience or thing They do not wish to také part in.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:18 pm

flower wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:31 pm
Own experiences with villain characters? Také it as you would
I take it as highly insulting, we don't say. "All X-Player ever does is one line of RP before he instant lenses. That's why he is defending lenses in this thread."

Yeah, some criminal players would like it if epic leveled people actually walked places so we'd stop catching level 15s in our fishing schemes. We don't want to screw with lower levels either, we just don't want to break our characters or exclude people.

Most villians I know, don't bother even doing anything capture based because the general consensus is /They are just going to lense or get summoned./ and I won't lie, it's true. Anytime I hear about anyone doing anything without my epic abjuration character 90% of the time it fails due to lenses or the person in question being summoned away.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:29 pm

I feel like this thread qualifies as "massive objections".
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

flower

Post by flower » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:31 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:18 pm
flower wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:31 pm
Own experiences with villain characters? Také it as you would
I take it as highly insulting, we don't say. "All X-Player ever does is one line of RP before he instant lenses. That's why he is defending lenses in this thread."

Yeah, some criminal players would like it if epic leveled people actually walked places so we'd stop catching level 15s in our fishing schemes. We don't want to screw with lower levels either, we just don't want to break our characters or exclude people.

Most villians I know, don't bother even doing anything capture based because the general consensus is /They are just going to lense or get summoned./ and I won't lie, it's true. Anytime I hear about anyone doing anything without my epic abjuration character 90% of the time it fails due to lenses or the person in question being summoned away.
I had bad experience with captivity from past from both sides, even if people got captured They did not play like it and when my character was captured, i did not enjoy it myself. Yet i gave it a try and made agreement with old friend for battle of our characters and if They would win, They would keep mine in captivity for unspecified time, to allow things develop.

I lost the fight, and my character got dragged into a jail. Yet came people, third party, who pushed themselves over. They overruled friend's character even if were not in position to do it and it ended with my character being killed after 10 minutes in the jail, waiting like 2-3 hrs when They were trying to sell off body and decided in the end to bash it.

Since that day i play with -unrelent. Oh well, does it make me less good rper in eyes of Ebonstar? I am fine with that, really. And i disagree with you in one point, level of character should not determinate if gets killed or not. No, i personally have no issue with that, the ongoing thing should not depand on levels of people (bar camping area on purpose for low level characters that is something else).

All these suggestions in past weeks, to nerf lenses, to prevent people to escape from pvp, or other suggestions to force pvp on others or even harsher consequences for being killed, or nerfing portals so there are more pvp encounters, maybe only my feeling, but it goes in really bad direction.

Lady Astray

Post by Lady Astray » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:18 pm
Anytime I hear about anyone doing anything without my epic abjuration character 90% of the time it fails due to lenses or the person in question being summoned away.
Kind of what I meant when talking about the balance part. The fact your character is an epic abjurer makes them useful. If lenses get nerfed then any level 15 ogre barbarian can just hang out at low level respawn points and collect slaves all day. Again sorry if you felt I generalized players of evil characters too much. Not trying to offend anyone, just pointing out that forcing people PVP isn't going to force good RP out of people. If a villain warded against teleportation and trapped me in spider webs I might play along for them to spout some exposition but at the end of the day my character isn't going to submit to yours unless you bring some really good RP to the table and give them more reasons to than a quick forced PVP.