Signs, signs, everywhere a sign.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Cerk Evermoore

Signs, signs, everywhere a sign.

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:54 pm

Blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind. Do this don't do that, can't you read the signs?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22072

On a more serious note, how do you people handle fixture placement? I notice some fixtures seem to stick around year and after year but others seem to get smashed by PvE encounters with AoE. Are the massive amounts of signs a problem? and how do people like to set up their fixtures so they don't accidentally get smashed?

Hazard

Re: Signs, signs, everywhere a sign.

Post by Hazard » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:55 pm

I consider it a public service to remove/recycle signs that are old and unused. If I need a new sign, rather than making a new one .. I just go grab one that's advertising for that shop that stopped existing about 4 RL months ago.

I'd prefer signs and stuff be taken care of IC. If they're in annoying places, just move them and maybe leave a note saying why they were moved. We don't need OOC/mechanical enforcement for everything.

An IC thing that has worked in the past has been governments setting rules on where signs are and aren't allowed, and how many. Unauthorized signs are removed. Simple enough.

They can be annoying, and I think it's a little rude to spam your sign all over the place and just expect no one does anything. Hey- you're allowed one act of vandalism/theft per 24 hours, why not use it to make the world a better place?

... Did my alignment just shift towards chaotic?

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:07 pm

I been thinking the same. Apart from milestones, the history of road signs goes back to mid-1800s, means far later than Arelith.

But, then again ... it's just a game. And it doesn't ruin my fun.

Cheers

;)

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Hazard wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:55 pm
Arguable that you're shifting toward Lawful, as you are, in a sense, seeking to make the world more orderly.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:54 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:07 pm
Hazard wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:55 pm
Arguable that you're shifting toward Lawful, as you are, in a sense, seeking to make the world more orderly.
Ew :c

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:03 pm

Seems like an IC thing to me. If your character doesn't like the signs, they should remove the signs. A chaotic character might do this by stealing or vandalising them. A lawful one might do this by petitioning to the local government.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:36 pm

Lots of signs make the world feel bustling and alive to me. I'd rather see them than not and I've definitely made use of the information on them. Every sign means somebody made an effort to do something and that's a really good thing.

Perhaps they can get to be a little bit of an eyesore in some places but such is civilization. Please don't start making server rules about this kind of thing, though of course settlements can and should police themselves.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Sea Shanties wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:36 pm
Perhaps they can get to be a little bit of an eyesore in some places but such is civilization. Please don't start making server rules about this kind of thing, though of course settlements can and should police themselves.
The rules are already there.

One per day. Be Nice.

The shadow rule here is the sense that we shouldn't remove signs, because it would interfere with another player's RP and that's mean. That needs to be dispelled, with RP, common sense, and simple courtesy taking its place.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:48 pm

If my character doesn't like a sign they bash it. More often than not they don't get repaired because the thing they were advertising is long past. If you think there's too many signs, take out some of them. It's only a problem if you let it be one.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:48 am

Simple; sign shaming!

I have a character that took a sign, painted over it, and left a message that more or less said "Stop cluttering our lawn and put your signs in places they make sense"

The message was recieved and the sign was moved! No idea what was going on with the statue associated with the sign. That was smashed before I got there.

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:38 am

Oh god here comes the 70s music lol.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:42 am

I actually would enjoy a mechanic that would cause any outside fixtures to deteriorate. It could be a hidden mechanic where every tick a fixture takes a certain amount of Fixture Damage (FD for short), depending on the weather of that tick. Perhaps throw in the -balance level of the area to affect it as well.

Obviously, stone, marble, and metal fixtures would have way more Fixture Health (FH?) than wooden ones. It could be argued that some fixtures take real life years to even reach half their Fixture Health, like altars and statues, for example.

A colored text could be added to the description when examining a fixture that has less than half its Fixture Health, stating that this fixture has begun to deteriorate (maybe with a simple Intelligence check?).

Fixtures that reach zero Fixture Health are destroyed, but they would allow for repair, just like any other fixture. And naturally, when -investigating the fixture, it would reveal itself to be destroyed by deterioration.

The Fixture Health would be saved to each fixture (if such a thing is possible), so even picking it up and putting it back down doesn't reset its FH.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:12 am

The solution is obvious. Put up signs complaining about signs!

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:59 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:42 am
The Fixture Health would be saved to each fixture (if such a thing is possible), so even picking it up and putting it back down doesn't reset its FH.
This is genius.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:26 pm

There are a lot of really old fixtures that are cool and add to the setting though, I like the history of older objects. Rather than risk destroying them, people could just take it into their own hands and remove unwanted signage. There's a lot of active players. We all get to remove 1 sign per day. Just go and make cleaning up litter part of your morning routine in game.

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:14 am

Sounds like a perfect way to increase revenue.

All signs placed along public roads as advertisements must be registered. Any sign placed on a public road placed as an advertisement not registered with the Corridor Clerk's Office is subject to removal and the owner (if identifiable) fined (more revenue!)

The Sign-Tax would be collected annually, with the sign-owner delivering the tax. After the first of the year, the annual "Sign-Brigade goes out with a list of sign locations (as it is the responsibility of the sign owner to provide that information) and anything -not- on the list gets bashed to bits.

Perfectly IC solution... and very cathartic too.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:29 am

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple signs you could purchase much like property quarters.

TroubledWaters

Post by TroubledWaters » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Liareth wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:03 pm
Seems like an IC thing to me. If your character doesn't like the signs, they should remove the signs. A chaotic character might do this by stealing or vandalising them. A lawful one might do this by petitioning to the local government.
It's kind of scary to go and try solve a problem like this IC because people have been banned for this kind of behavior with fixtures.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:10 pm

TroubledWaters wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:00 pm
It's kind of scary to go and try solve a problem like this IC because people have been banned for this kind of behavior with fixtures.
You're not going to get banned outright for anything like this. You get banned for doing it repeatedly without justification and refusing to listen when you're told to stop.

That said, we now have a system in place to handle fixture destruction. I wouldn't go around smashing everything at once, but if you see a sign that doesn't belong somewhere, (probably not counting the ones in cities) smash it. It'll stay there as debris, and if someone is actually maintaining it, they'll fix it. Nine times out of ten, it's going to get left until the rubble is cleaned up automatically.

TroubledWaters

Post by TroubledWaters » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Without going into specifics on the forums, people have received bans of one month or more without warning for smashing fixtures IC.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:37 pm

They would recieve such bans if they did it in a griefy manner-- i.e did not follow the rules for destroying fixtures. If you are in doubt, simply ask a DM for permission ( and maybe take a screen shot of that permission just in case). smashing fixtures in and of itself will not get you banned. it's why you do it and how often.

Another solution is to tell the dms about an area you think has too many signs. I assure you if a dm or higher admin person saw an area with too many suigns to the pint that it's a nuisance they might warn people to remove them and if they didn't, then the dms would. ( I have seen this done before whre a area had so many fixtures that the then server owner hellballed them into oblivion.)

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:15 pm

TroubledWaters wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:16 pm
Without going into specifics on the forums, people have received bans of one month or more without warning for smashing fixtures IC.
Punishment happens to players who go out of their way to smash fixtures that took a lot of effort to put together as often as they possibly can. These cases tend to occur when all of the destroyed fixtures belong to one person or group of people who may feel as if they are being harassed. If you're already a problem player with a history of doing bad things, a month-long ban for "the straw that broke the camel's back" seems like it may be appropriate. I doubt any punishment would occur for the typical player unless the case was particularly malicious. At the end of the day it's about following the Be Nice rule - if you find yourself engaged in a bash/repair cycle on the same fixture once per day for weeks on end then you'll probably end up on the wrong side of the law.