Haks: Clothing/Armor We'd Like To See

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Blood on my Lips

Re: Haks: Clothing/Armor We'd Like To See

Post by Blood on my Lips » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Who says it's denim? They could just be slacks. I used the term "slacks". Now I feel old.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:22 am

Yeezys when?

Dunning-Krueger

Post by Dunning-Krueger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:56 pm

You should consider Project Q. Their stuff is pretty airtight as far as quality and bugfixing goes, and pstmarie (curator) declared it open-season to cherrypick what you want out of it for your own purposes.

Nikko
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nikko » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:10 pm

I'm happy the team here is in favor of looking at things piece by piece and not the whole CEP from what I've read. From playing on other servers who jumped on the whole HAK in one bite I'd like to offer some thoughts on the clothing available:

1. The cloaks are bad- someone mentioned their stiffness and problems above.
2. Some helmet models look good but are smaller than any human head model, so when you put them on your head shrinks... then your head is not in proportion to your body and looks a bit off.
3. Some tabbards look good but have some awful clipping issues with other bits of armor (this happens with cloaks and armor now so not the biggest issue- with free armor customization you can fix it in game youeself).
4. Hats always looked out of proportion to head size to me and use the (I believe - cloak slot instead of helm? Maybe that was just on one server).
5. Some textures are much more detailed than standard equipment (there are actually 2 helmets in game that have a higher detail than the original ones so maybe this isn't an issue) which turns out is less "awesome" and more "that looks really out of place, like from a different game or something"
6. When you introduce something people will flock to it. I remember logging into one server after new clothing was added and within an hour I was like, "oh look, we're all the same but now with HATS."

I guess what I'm saying is there's a ton of testing that needs to go into every single item before you just drop it in. You have to see if it works with all races/models, if it looks out of place in your current areas, if it affects performance for anyone...

I do like some of these as a RP payoff (some people will hate this and I may be in the minority I know): tabbards or special helms for official factions- super awesome outfit for Cordor Guards or Officials in Bordenstein. This helps new players (like me) know- hey this guy works here, I should listen to him. That's a real RP reason to have a piece of new clothing. I know we all like to play dress-up with our characters, it helps us feel attached if we think they're cool, but I'd still wade into this slowly.
Vicko Tannel, First Knight of Darrowdeep
You know there was always that one kid in your class that maybe liked horses a little too much? That's him.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:07 pm

CragOrion wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:40 pm
Just a quick note that they don't HAVE to be jeans. Just change the color of the pants and suddenly they're not jeans!

Huzzah!
It doesn't matter. They're still hideous. You can colour them however you want, and nothing will change that.

I'm gonna have to agree with a fair number of people here. Dumping CEP clothing options here is bad. Bar a few exceptions, everything I've been shown from CEP has been ugly poor quality content. Some of it due to poor execution (most of it) and a fair bit due to simply being a bad idea (random belts on legs and pointy witch hats).

The bit that baffles me is that people keep showing poorly made content and saying it is good and desirable.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

TroubledWaters

Post by TroubledWaters » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:16 pm

I think sensible clothing for women would be high on the priority list. Just about all the vanilla options have bizarre WoW-like chest cutouts.

Niffie

Post by Niffie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Plenty of decent looking stuff in the CEP pack, if you take your time to go through it. And some stuff is even vastly superior to any of the clunky generic vanilla outfits. And the beauty of it all, is that you're able to remove the stuff from the pack itself that you don't think meets any sort of level of standard that you may have. It's "just" a matter of going through it all, and sorting out the bad apples. Not sure why anyone would be against more customization in general. I highly doubt anyone on the Aralith developer team has any intention of lowering the standard of quality here.

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:07 pm
I'm gonna have to agree with a fair number of people here. Dumping CEP clothing options here is bad. Bar a few exceptions, everything I've been shown from CEP has been ugly poor quality content. Some of it due to poor execution (most of it) and a fair bit due to simply being a bad idea (random belts on legs and pointy witch hats).
I am very inclined to agree here. Sure, CEP has some good stuff, but that's... 2 or 3%, at best. Not sure how big it is these days, but curating and pulling some stuff from there might not even be worth it, considering NWN:EE comes with a new graphics engine. It's entirely possible that this narrow selection of good stuff isn't optimal for the new framework.

CEP has always been an eyesore to me, the quality, style and detail of its assets is just so vastly varying. And don't get me started on hats ^^

I think I'll download CEP and see how it's all made :-)

EDIT: Does NWN:EE work with OpenGL, or am I mistaken there?