Haks: Clothing/Armor We'd Like To See

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Haks: Clothing/Armor We'd Like To See

Post by CragOrion » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:39 am

Irongron suggested we start a feedback thread screenshotting things we'd like to see and naming where we found that particular outfit. Didn't see one started yet, so figured I would get it going.

There are quite a few items I'm hoping to see...

Several things that I believe came from CEP:

All manner of dresses, the short poofy sleeves, regular length fancy baggy sleeves with fancy baggy forearms to match, fancy straight sleeves and bell-bottomed forearms to match, the handheld fan, the ponytailed head(I'm not sure, but the head might actually be from Myth Drannor's headpack)

More dresses, fancy smoking jacket, various handheld flowers and holy symbol

Brestplate, sleeves, forearms, jeans/slacks

Blouse w/vest

Fancy vest (I believe this one is a robe appearance)

All manner of tabards (there's a whole bunch in CEP, and all of them good), glaive appearance for halbeards (like the head, this might have come from a weapon hak from Myth Drannor), and the cape, which in CEP I believe is not a regular cloak appearance. It might be a backpack model, I can't remember

Belted versions of the jeans/slacks, straps on the biceps

Tatoos (as clothing parts)

Shirt, sleeves, and boots

Battlemage robe, see-through baggy sleeves, and a head that might also be from Myth Drannor's headpack

Gloves, belt, thigh-high boots

Gloves, boots, short sleeves, cape (you have to look close, but its a little fancier than the standard ones)

Unless stated otherwise, everything in the above pics are from CEP. On the possibility that it's not in CEP, then it would have to be from one of Myth Drannor's haks

From a weapon Hak for Myth Drannor, but you can also find these in a popular katana/rapier override, I'm sure you know the one:

Katanas

Rapiers

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Nitro

Re: Haks: Clothing/Armor We'd Like To See

Post by Nitro » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:26 pm

I'd de-recommend most of those because the textures look clunky and bland, or have very thick, stiff models. Of the ones you posted I think the last one on the right of the first ones, the sixth one and the tenth one are the only ones that actually look good. Except the weapons, the weapons look fine.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:11 pm

I hope that metal armour will remain with outlook of metal armour and so on.

the last thing i would personally wish to see would be platemail with appearence of T-shirt,,,,

Huschpfusch

Post by Huschpfusch » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:32 pm

From left to right and all from CEP image would show:
1, some sword
2, robe26, lower arm 015, hand 026
3, robe27 and head042 (female pointywitchhat is headmodel)
4, robe68 (musketeerhat is robe mechanically)
5, pmHO-Head138 and some sword
"Oh look, an unidentified magical wand - let`s just see what it does by randomly using it in battle!"

The Incredulous Bulk

Post by The Incredulous Bulk » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:37 pm

Some of them are nice. I do like the dresses in the first pic. I would definitely not like to see jeans on Arelith, though.

three wolf moon

Post by three wolf moon » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:20 pm

HAUBERKS

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:19 pm

I want to reply to this in more detail later, but for now just let me say that CEP cloaks are awful. They're a neck model with no regard for the laws of physics. They always jut out from your character's neck at a 30 degree angle, regardless of animation - as opposed to the cloaks added later in the base game that actually respect character animations like sitting, crouching, bowing, etc. CEP cloaks were great when they were added, since there wasn't a cloak model, but now? No.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:01 pm

In general, the CEP clothing options are vomit inducing. We should avoid them generally - they're almost universally bulky and poorly made, with low quality and weirdly stretched textures.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:52 pm

Memelord wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:01 pm
In general, the CEP clothing options are vomit inducing. We should avoid them generally - they're almost universally bulky and poorly made, with low quality and weirdly stretched textures.
can you say this louder for the people in the back
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:58 pm

I'm looking at the examples so far, and disliking 99% of them.

All I want is battle skirts, tassets, and other proper lower body garments/armor. There must be a better way to do that than CEP.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:27 pm

I mean, at some point, you have to understand that this was a game that was made for 800x600 resolution. It can do better, but when it came out, that's what most people were using. It's old, and even the vanilla stuff doesn't have great textures and can be blocky. This isn't about improving the graphics. That's what Beamdog is working on with the reskinning Aribeth stuff. I won't deny that CEP has some really really ugly stuff, but the clothing that I've posted is at least on the same quality as vanilla NWN. The point is that it gives us more options.

And the weapons I've posted are loads better than what you find in the game.

You have to remember what we're working with here and manage your expectations. Ultimately, can you suggest something better?

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Twohand
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Twohand » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:12 am

I'll have to agree with The Rambling Midget. I personally think that most of the designs here don't go well together with NWN's art style, for example, the weapons and the dresses. As simple as NWN's art is, there must be consistence. Again, personal opinion, others will disagree. But here are some CEP models which I like:

The chainmail in this one.

The skirt thing.

The boots and pants are from CEP, but their design is very similar to some found in-game. The bracers are nice too.

I don't know about the tabard, but the right pauldron matching the left one looks good... as long as you don't wield a two handed weapon.

I really like this surcoat, like already shown a few times on the first post, but I'm conflicted. I think its higher quality clashes with NWN's one.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:32 am

Dragon, why is that man in the 4th picture wearing a table cloth? :D

On a serious note though I'm with Crag on this one, these are clothing skins and textures that were added for a game made more than 15 years ago, until an actual graphical overhaul or 3rd party creators start taking advantage of the new EE engine happens then our options are limited within the quality of 15+ year old game.

I don't love all the examples posted here, but at least it adds some variety and I can sure as hell agree that some of them look better than a lot of the nonsense options we currently have. Options being the key word here, and i'm all in favor of having more options even if they're only of similar quality to what we have, we'll get better quality in time, and what's been posted here is definitely for the most part either similar or better quality than the vanilla options.

I think most of you need to be a bit less picky, reassess your priorities based on the fact that it's a very old game, and understand that even if you don't like something all that much that maybe most other people might and it could be a good thing for the server.
At the end of the day though I have complete faith in the dev and admin team to really look at what options we have, test them out, and give us plenty of new options which they've determined best suits the server :D

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:02 am

My standard is pretty simple: I want any content added to be as good or better than the content in the base game. Some CEP content is, some is not. It is wildly inconsistent. Most of the higher-quality content seems to be the robes, hauberks, and weapons. A few examples, including ones you posted:

Excellent robes.
Robe on the central guy.
This hauberk/tabard/whatever.
Not those jeans, augh, no my eyes, BUT the torso on this model is actually a robe option that's quite decent.
And another great robe. The sleeves are... kinda meh.

Some of the older content, the above included, proves that it is possible to create stuff that looks good, or at least comparable to base game content, even on the old NWN engine.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:40 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:02 am

This hauberk/tabard/whatever.
Terminology!

A 'tabard' is a sleeveless tunic or jerkin, the term is synonymous with 'surcoat', especially when worn as a decorative piece of outerwear atop armor.

A 'hauberk' is explicitly a suit of maille armor which covers at least the chest and upper arms, and is also applied to later suits of maille that cover the legs and the entirety of the arms. In this case, the term 'byrnie' is used to describe what hauberks originally were, a suit of maille that is either sleeveless or only covers the upper arms.

What we see in the picture is a plate cuirass protecting the chest, with attached - something? The armor is 100% ahistorical and unfunctional and scale was never really used that way. It could, presumably, be just an extension of a more complete suit of scale contained beneath the cuirass, but that's a little excessive when you consider that there's also a hauberk underneath that - and presumably a gambeson/aketon (padded jack) beneath that as well.

The more you knooooooow.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:10 am

Looks cool af tho

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm highly skeptic about such additions, to be quite honest.

Except for a very narrow selection, all of these options would completely fall out of the general look of the game. Yes, it's old, I get it, but a homogenous look is extremely important. These detailed and elaborate assets would stick out massively, not only because of players being used to the look of NWN but also because they're made with a vastly different approach than what the original NWN creators had in mind.

NWN is relatively low-poly, with simple shaders and textures. If we go for more detail, one must also take into consideration performance issues. If you play on an Intel integrated GPU and the server is loaded with very detailed stuff, you will very soon experience a bottleneck. My PC has a GTX1080 GPU, NWN on an SSD drive and all that shtick, yet I very seldomly see more than 100 or 110 fps. So while there's a new graphics engine, that does not necessarily mean an implementation of haks should go without thinking of client-load.

I'm not an expert in the field, but I could see ways and means to play to the strengths and advantages of this new graphics engine (in that case, it would make a lot of sense for Beamdog to completely remake the assets!), so... maybe, just maybe, one could aim to raise the looks and options of the server to the next level by introducing a standard and guidelines for models that must be fulfilled. Otherwise, I am afraid the server will soon look like a serious clustershnuck of differently detailed and styled models. I genuinely dread that.

Also, I believe we should keep in mind that probably 95% of all content created up until NWN:EE was made to work with the old graphics engine. Which may very well mean that they're not optimal for what we have today.

Anyways, that's just me rambling about my 2 cents ^^

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:42 pm

We already have broken models in game and people dont seem to notice? Monster races cant properly interact with all kinds of objects already. Give me some wicked customization options

Brandon Steel

Post by Brandon Steel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:42 pm
We already have broken models in game and people dont seem to notice? Monster races cant properly interact with all kinds of objects already. Give me some wicked customization options
The shaman goblins even have their loincloths completely messed up, pieces flying off to the side by 2 feet :lol:

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:42 pm

Brandon Steel wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:48 pm
Cerk Evermoore wrote:
The shaman goblins even have their loincloths completely messed up, pieces flying off to the side by 2 feet :lol:
Can you PM me screenshots? I can fix things like that, and fixes work just as well in haks as new stuff does.

Brandon Steel

Post by Brandon Steel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:26 pm

DM Symphony wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:42 pm
Brandon Steel wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:48 pm
Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Can you PM me screenshots? I can fix things like that, and fixes work just as well in haks as new stuff does.
I'll try to get a few for you, the model is kind of a mess in general really. Sometimes pieces of it are just in odd positions or off of the model completely. No idea what causes it.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:41 pm

Helmets and Armor!

These helmets are colorable, they just happened to come grey and gold as a default.

Hornet Helmets
Veiled helmets
Faceless mook sallet helmets
German sallet helmets.

Ooh baby let me have the tools to look this fresh on arelith!

All of these courtesy of Amia's collection of haks from when I briefly tried them out back in 2014. The haks are still current.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Huschpfusch

Post by Huschpfusch » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:08 pm

Just realised that there are helmet-options that look like monsterfaces - doesnt matter if from CEP or other pack - these could make RP-ing costume festivals more interesting, and bank-robberies and other disguise-RP-moments.

e.g.: Andunorian Peacekeeper Captain to simple guard who just let a kobold-mask-wearing surfacer through the door:"Think, Dumbo, THIIINK, have you ever seen a 2meter KOBOLD?!"
"Oh look, an unidentified magical wand - let`s just see what it does by randomly using it in battle!"

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:40 pm

Just a quick note that they don't HAVE to be jeans. Just change the color of the pants and suddenly they're not jeans!

Huzzah!

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Rooshi49

Post by Rooshi49 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:20 pm

CragOrion wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:40 pm
Just a quick note that they don't HAVE to be jeans. Just change the color of the pants and suddenly they're not jeans!

Huzzah!
Wait you know that IRL there are non-blue jeans as well right XD? If they're blue they're blue jeans. If you change the color, they're still jeans