Spell swords

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Nymann

Spell swords

Post by Nymann » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:23 am

Hello DM team and reader!

Considering the massive influx of Spell swords lately, it has become quite a bore to watch the same class over and over. Considering the very few builds, its almost always the same build. The Class is incredible fun, so I do understand them being one my self. But when most RP out hunting right now is "ohh you are a spell sword, and you are a spell sword, we are all spell swords"
Except for one to two groups the past two weeks, I have met at least one to two additional Spell sword players, sometimes even three additional.

Is it possible to have them changed slightly to give more Spell sword diversity (I have a few ways it could be done) or locked behind a token. To reduce the amount of people heading for the same class?

Best Regards
Nymann

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Spell swords

Post by Irongron » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:14 pm

This suggestion isn't specific enough, and should ideally have placed in the feedback section. Will move it there now.

Disciprine Come From Within

Re: Spell swords

Post by Disciprine Come From Within » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:17 am

Why Spellswords are similar or How I learned to stop worrying and love the Hellball.

Spellswords are a really neat extra option that has the same problem a lot of the new changes and "paths" have. They are not designed for different building styles. Almost off the bat they are designed for a small subsection of builds to take advantage of and this usually hurts class type variety. And spellswords are really fun being in that mid space of a Battle Bard and a Battle Cleric with it's own unique toys to work with. It steps on the toes of wizards a bit but not too bad since the current design doesn't encourage DC type casting most of the time. But, this does go to a big problem. Most are going to ditch Enchantment because it's the school that loses the least out of what the class does. It's built to demand Evocation, Necromancy, Abjuration, Illusion and Transmutation. You can't remove Conjuration, so that leaves Divination and Enchantment as the potential dump schools. True Strike, See Invisibility, True Seeing and Promonition are really important spells compared to Protection from Spells and Mass Haste.

As is you've got two general stat types. Dex and Str with their own subtle differences and tradeoffs. There are some weird niche combos to use to get weird, sometimes borderline cheating bonuses. I wish there was more reason to learn more into casting and Int beyond the minimums. The other issue I have with Spellswords is that the Imbues are either really overpowered or really underpowered with one that can remove the other debuffs you put on others. I have a few ideas on the tweaks I'd like to see to the class to encourage diversity in build types and styles, but I get the feeling that there are more important things in the works.