Staters: Discussion

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Memelord

Re: Staters: Discussion

Post by Memelord » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:30 am

Dirac wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:28 pm
There are already many things that can be used as alternate forms of currency during RP such as gems, adamantine chunks, or elf heads.
Any gem worth carrying around to use as a currency source will typically also have a secondary role in crafting, and thus have a wildly fluctuating value depending on who you ask. Adamantine can be seen in a similar light, since there's no standardized value for it (just look at a selection of shops on the surface - some places sell it at 50k per ingot, 60k per ingot, 70k per ingot or up to 100k per ingot.) It's also quite hefty at 5 lbs per chunk, making it less than desirable for lower STR people. Elf heads, same issue.

Staters have a fixed price that is agreed upon by every party (since they serve no secondary purpose as a crafting resource), are readily available at any gemscale, are light weight and are both easy to transfer and easy to convert to other forms of currency.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:20 am

Memelord wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:30 am
Dirac wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:28 pm
There are already many things that can be used as alternate forms of currency during RP such as gems, adamantine chunks, or elf heads.
Any gem worth carrying around to use as a currency source will typically also have a secondary role in crafting, and thus have a wildly fluctuating value depending on who you ask.
Not exactly. These gems may have a fluctuating value, but only in an inflationary sense due to supply and demand. Their value never decreases below their baseline (what you get for putting them in the gem scales); so while you may, given the market, have gems worth more than you can get for plinking them in a scale, you'll never have gems that depreciate below a set of expected values. In a sense, this makes them the best bet for alternative currency, because you can only ever profit if you are not breaking even.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:26 am

I'm not sure if I'm having a deja-vu moment or if all of this I have seen before.

Rooshi49

Post by Rooshi49 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:03 am

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:26 am
I'm not sure if I'm having a deja-vu moment or if all of this I have seen before.
What do you mean? :shock: