Writ Level Restrictions in Parties

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Writ Level Restrictions in Parties

Post by Twily » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:25 pm

I feel like it might be time to bring up this topic again.

As is, if anyone in the party is three levels over the maximum level of a writ, then the person with said writ can not progress on it with them in the party, or if they are being -guarded.

In theory, this isn't a bad idea, it does prevent high levels carrying low levels through things, which I'd assume was a problem if this was implemented in the first place. The spot where this becomes a huge issue for me is that some of the dungeons writs exist for are not solely pre-epic dungeons.

----------

The Orc Citadel comes to mind as the largest culprit of this. Mobs in there are quite strong, and many people who go into that place are already L23+.
Even a group of L25s would be faced with a significant challenge here, and some would even wipe once they get to the boss(depending on their ability to tank and manage the offensive spells).

The Undead Battlefield and Minmir Manor are two more examples of places that I can still go to at L26 and be faced with a decent challenge and still getting good XP. These again show that these areas are meant to welcome a wide range of characters and levels, including epics.

----------

Several times now I've been in these areas and found myself having to drop party and try to juggle tanking a boss while someone else tries to land the killing blow(AoOs are a thing), having to waste tons of supplies on keeping them alive since I can't -guard them, or simply not joining groups that are in or heading to the same area as myself due to the fact they have a writ and don't want me there if I'd block it.

In these situations, this restriction has actively preventing roleplay with others from occurring, and has kept me out of areas that are right inside my character's level range(based on area difficulty and XP reward).

----------

Now, I'm not saying the level restriction should be outright removed. I get why it was put in, and I assume it was addressing a problem that was existent if it was implemented. It's been a few months now though, and no changes or adjustments have occurred, which is why I bring this up once again.

It is pretty clear that the devs don't want writs to exist for epic levels to be taking, so I won't suggest that be changed.
However, I do think it'd be nice if the level tolerance is fine-tuned on a per-dungeon basis based on the difficultly and intended level range of said dungeon.

In the case of the Orc Citadel, allowing people up to L28-30ish to be in the party with progress still being made, for the undead fields and the manor, maybe around 25-27ish.

There's nothing inherently wrong with wide level ranges grouping up so long as it's a genuine party, not one person steamrolling it for the other.
Once you get to these higher level dungeons, even if a higher level tries to carry a lower level through, the risk/reward will be far worse than if the low level simply grabbed a writ such as the King's Tombs and went through that with equal level party members, so I really don't feel that it needs to be prevented.

Example: In the OrcCitadel, there are several mobs that can kill an L16-20 in less than a round(basicaly every mob there as 34+ AB), not including the hasted bosses HorridWilting and Evard's spams. In the Minmir region, there's frequent wights that use SaveVDeath touch, and inside the manor chances of finding Babaus, a demon with over 40AB and 4 APR. These areas clearly aren't meant to be solely for pre-epics, and these mobs could easily kill most L16-20s extremely quickly.