Fixed dispel checks

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

flower

Fixed dispel checks

Post by flower » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:22 am

With the issue of mundanes immune to dispels and casters overly vulnerable, why not tie dispel checks to fixed values. It will make everyone even.

Something along linie:
Lesser dispel removes effect on roll 18+
Dispel removes effect on roll 16+
Greater dispel removes effect on roll 14+
Holy sword 18+

Now, abjuration feats would each lower it by one, epic by two. This means greater dispel would dispel effect on 10+ for epic abjurer (same disjunction plus breach effects).

Arcane defense would increase difficulty by two up.

By this semi casters are more difficult to dispel while mundanes become more vulnerable (but still it is 50:50).

It would also open more building options for all casters because now various hybrids would be viable.

Hunter548

Re: Fixed dispel checks

Post by Hunter548 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:34 am

This would probably take battleclerics, spellswords, bards and some paladin builds, and forcibly toss them into the trash. I also don't like the holy sword nerf.

That said, the idea of a "fixed" dispel check has merit; I'd suggest doing it the other way; If 10 or more of your levels are in a caster class, you have a dispel "dc" of your CL. Otherwise, your dispel "dc" is (some number). You'd need to fiddle with the math to ensure mundanes could lose, say, death ward or w/e if you wanted to dispel them, but not so bad that it'd be a sure enough thing that they can't fight casters reliably.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

flower

Post by flower » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:09 am

Hunter548 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:34 am
This would probably take battleclerics, spellswords, bards and some paladin builds, and forcibly toss them into the trash. I also don't like the holy sword nerf.

That said, the idea of a "fixed" dispel check has merit; I'd suggest doing it the other way; If 10 or more of your levels are in a caster class, you have a dispel "dc" of your CL. Otherwise, your dispel "dc" is (some number). You'd need to fiddle with the math to ensure mundanes could lose, say, death ward or w/e if you wanted to dispel them, but not so bad that it'd be a sure enough thing that they can't fight casters reliably.
Right now, battlecleric with 23 lvls is
12+23 vs 26+d20 ...outcome is 9+ roll on d20.

In the fixed way they would get better by being 10+. If abjuration defense, then 12+ instead of 11+. Fully caster builds would become a bit more dispellable but you could now go less levels of caster.

The holy sword would receive ABJ bonuses. So fixed value woudl be around 16+ on hit (that is a lot, you just need to hit ).

I forgot to mention. That Scrolls and wands and other non caster sources would have lower value, to be a lot less effective (breach is untouched by this suggestion).

However numbers are here presented only how the system could work. Their ranges can go different.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:38 am

Any solution that'd make the "undispellable mundanes" nonsense go away and rectify it to the correct "mundanes lose UMD wards to stiff breeze" works for me.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:33 am

-XXX- wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:38 am
Any solution that'd make the "undispellable mundanes" nonsense go away and rectify it to the correct "mundanes lose UMD wards to stiff breeze" works for me.
"Mundanes lose UMD wards to a stiff breeze" just creates the inverse problem; suddenly barbarians and WMs or what not get eaten alive by casters without a caster friend of their own. That's not any better of a design paradigm.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:14 am

I believe that we can both agree on this fairly accurate statement taken from another thread:
flower wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:34 am
Save or loose spells are already in bad spot. Most characters gearing for PvP on epic lvl will have saves nearly equal to DC or even at same value. Those who do not gear for it do not matter (because, if you focus on that you can negate these spells).
We might then conclude that the design paradigm seemingly aims to attain balance without taking UMD into account whatsoever.
In that case non-caster classes should be probably grateful that they are even allowed the access to any spells and magical wards of any quality at all.
That being said, I feel like I must insist that I find the notion of melee classes having access to superior wards by the sheer virtue of them being non-casters as absolutely ridiculous.
I can't help but wonder why and how is this still a thing TBH.

flower

Post by flower » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:56 am

Hunter is right in that if magic becomes irrelevant for mundanes it would break things.

But if all, casters and mundane, were same in difficulty to dispel, it would be fair.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:04 am

-XXX- wrote:
I second this.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:49 am

Hazard wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:04 am
-XXX- wrote:
I second this.
Yeah how are wards from a wand just as strong as a ward cast by a level 27 wiz....get that 5 umd on a WM and you are a wizard that crits for 130 a hit...makes no sense.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:42 pm

flower wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:56 am
But if all, casters and mundane, were same in difficulty to dispel, it would be fair.
Absolutely this. I've questioned time and again why it hasn't already been implemented.