The state of stealth

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Miskol
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: The state of stealth

Post by Miskol » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:32 am

Ninjaturtle wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:22 pm
I personally like what the team has done with the hide and ms. Classes that are capable of reaching a decent hide and ms, but are traditionally skill starved, have been circumvented with additional skill points, and with new spot/ listen based classes such as the rogue. Both of these opposing parties are able to reach around 100 in their categories without investing feats and with the right gear.

However, I personally feel like all of this was undermined by keeping the true sight aspect of true seeing. Why should my rogue carry around all of this listen and spot gear when he can just pop a true seeing scroll with the additional benefit of sneak immunity? Why ward and area prior to your top secret meeting if you can just drop a level 6 spell? Admittedly, I do not understand everything though and maybe this easily obtainable item is still needed for balance.
True sight only lasts for one round on Arelith, 5 rounds if you have all three divination foci. After that, it gives +15 spot at round/level. So unless you're planning to cast a true sight every 6 seconds during a meeting, this isn't really an issue.

monkeywithstick
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by monkeywithstick » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:42 am

Miskol wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:32 am
True sight only lasts for one round on Arelith, 5 rounds if you have all three divination foci. After that, it gives +15 spot at round/level. So unless you're planning to cast a true sight every 6 seconds during a meeting, this isn't really an issue.
The trick is to close the door before casting fyi.
Characters: Izzy, short for Isabel. Shaena Ash.

Miskol

Post by Miskol » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:52 pm

A smart sneak wouldn't be standing in the open, they could easily listen from around a corner. Also with monk speed and the stealth movement speed changes to rogue, it wouldn't be too difficult to move behind a corner when someone begins casting or reading a scroll.

monkeywithstick
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by monkeywithstick » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:56 pm

Miskol wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:52 pm
A smart sneak wouldn't be standing in the open, they could easily listen from around a corner. Also with monk speed and the stealth movement speed changes to rogue, it wouldn't be too difficult to move behind a corner when someone begins casting or reading a scroll.
I don't think it's a problem. But all of that still makes closing the door a powerful counterplay.
Characters: Izzy, short for Isabel. Shaena Ash.