Make Sencliff Relevant

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Make Sencliff Relevant

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:13 pm

Rooshi49 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:26 pm
If there were to be multiple ships, I think it would be a cool idea to take a page out of RL history and make it an oligarchy of ship captains that rules over sencliff. Where the political power lies with the heads of the various crews, not some sort of democracy.
Basically take Luskan's way of ruling. Yes, I think that would be a good idea indeed. Five High Captains who rule the infamous island.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:47 am

All of the evil people being isolated on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere?

Thats a Wharftownin.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Ramza

Post by Ramza » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:00 pm

Except this time we have a lot more guns.

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:08 pm

I don't think there should ever be a surface settlement that's mandatory evil. it should go the way of rp. Wharftown, Guld, Cordor, Bendir have all had dark times. But should be no town on the surface that has to be evil.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Wharftown was less of a reaction against evil settlements and more of a cautionary tale of reactions have consequences. It certainly could have been avoided.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:27 pm

As a comment, you could pretty much redirect your base population issues to the Shadow Plane. A few players have tried to get PC activity there in the past with the idea of having it be an elf ok and drow ok settlement without it being a gross Drow heavy settlement.

The Shadovar Tradepost is already a seriously historical meeting location on our server, so Shadovar protected neutrality is not a new concept to the world.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:39 pm

I totally agree with the original suggestion.Also i don't understand why evil based settlements can't exist on the surface,same with good based settlements (See the Light Keep being destroyed).

I fee like Wharftown was destroyed not only because of RP reasons (because it was just a fishing village going agaisnt a big city that is friends with Amn for like the 50th time) but because somethings were getting out of hand in there (like monster races suddenly being accepted,it was what i heard around the time Wharftown was gonna be destroyed) and Benwick for the good side,it was for RP reasons as well as a few things getting out of control or so i hear. (Like making people try to walk through the pillars of truth thing and killing the ones who couldn't and thus were evil).

But good side settlemensts shouldn't be a priority either way since most other settlements act with good attitudes,evil side settlements are needdd though,and Sencliff has potential,as long as people don't let things get out of hand.

EDIT: Also,pirates have always been like that on tons of fictional works,being recognized by their tatoos,but they keep doing it since it seems to be a tradition (Pirates like to be famous,even if it's not practical on their line of work) . I don't get people complaining about a pirate being marked and the othet evil characters don't,pirates are different.

EDIT 2: Pirates should not try to be subtle imho Pirates are loud drunken bastards that like to sing and rob others and getting known for those robberies and feared wich the tatoos help with,they also are used to only having a few safe ports to sell what they robbed.
Last edited by Cybernet21 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm

If feathery pirate hats are added in a hak, I guarantee an increase in Sencliff's population.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:02 pm

People forget, that settlements are aligment neutral but Myon.

But even then.

If most dwarves were evil and thane was evil aligned person, it does not mean They would be hugging criminals, murderers or underdarkers.

The evilness of town would show off in crude attitude towards non dwarves.

Myon ruled by evil elf in no way means elves working together with evil drow. They would still hunt drow, but also show openly xenofoby versus non elves. They would not like non elves in forest, chasing them out. They would not hesitate to kill trespassers. But no, They would not support criminals because of it.

This is a thing many people forget. There are evil dwarves in Brogenstein, and yes, They are part of dwarven society. Being evil is not equal to being hugging worshippers of dark gods, murderers, pirates and goblins.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:48 pm

flower wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:02 pm

The problem though is that a leader with a good alignment can get elected and run anyone he deems evil out of the city. Where do these people have to go? Housing outside of settlements is very limited. They also need a place to trade and mingle.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:20 pm

Blood on my Lips wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:48 pm
flower wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:02 pm

The problem though is that a leader with a good alignment can get elected and run anyone he deems evil out of the city. Where do these people have to go? Housing outside of settlements is very limited. They also need a place to trade and mingle.
Same happens, when evil person takes over. Then usually paladins go to pack.

I just try to imply you are not going to notice what aligment has the settlement leader. Even when he is evil, he may tend to protect own group (race, faction) and banish others.

Edit: people are not forced to pack and leave because of aligment. Usually because of own deeds done. If you are a known murderer, pirate, you cannot expect cordorian officials to ignore you meddling around.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:17 pm

reading this makes me genuinely wonder, is there that much demand for pirate pcs? i'm not saying don't help out sencliff, but making it a sort of surface evil settlement seems a little too restrictive on concept. andunor's lure is that you can play any sort of aesthetic, background, class, archetype, and still be more or less believable due to its cosmopolitan nature.

focusing overmuch on a very specific archetype as a way to give surface villainy a place to flourish seems either disingenuous or, ironically, a step backwards, to when sencliff was pirate in terms of NPCs only, and was for years a supervillain guild whose main exports were war crimes, doomsday devices, and infernalists.

also, for those saying settlements exist, that's very true, but really only cordor and guldorand are "blank slatey" enough to withstand that sort of a takeover sustainably, now that we lost wharftown (the ultimate game of good v evil pass the parcel), and cordor is a Whole Thing and guldorand is a refuge from the Whole Cordor Thing.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:52 pm

One thing I think would help Sencliff immensely though it would take some work.. A set of pirate-only writs. Make it so you need tats to get on the ship to get to wherever they are.

Let pirates level up among their own kind and without being hassled by epic do-gooders. Maybe not all the way to 21 but at least to a point where they can handle themselves.

Having to go back to Cordor to level (with no explanation in-game that this is what you are supposed to do) after starting there was probably the biggest letdown to me about the Sencliff changes and why I dropped my pirate character. I think people would stick around and feel more ownership of the area if they are actually able to start and stay there until the mid-teens or so.
Last edited by Sea Shanties on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:55 pm

The writ issue certainly is one, or maybe a special writ giver in the Crow's Nest that gives sea related writs to both sides. Not boarding ships but like killing mud crabs and harpies.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:59 pm

Yeah, but I think it would need more than that. The tats have to mean something and even though low level pirates are evil bastards they need protection from pirate hunters. I think some pirate-themed quests and a couple of locations you need tats to board a special ship to access (again, I love the idea of raiding a "good" seaside town that paladins can't access, or at the very least some NPC ships from Amn or something) would go a long way.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm gonna echo Kuma here and say that if you wanted to make Sencliff relevant, it would be better to expand it beyond pirate RP, not making it more pirate friendly.

I vaguely remember there being some grief when Sencliff first arrived, because it was originally intended to be a pirate den.

Instead, they got the equivalent of the Legion of Doom. And that made some people upset. It was really active in its heyday, though, and generated a lot of interesting things. RP, items, etc. When it got reverted to a "NO, PIRATES!!!" location, that pretty much...disappeared. And "be a pirate" is a very niche sort of villian-esk rp.

"Be a pirate or Sencliff isn't for you" isnt going to help with drawing more people in.

Mirw
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Mirw » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Few thing to add:

- Voting system: i would not recommend it to apply to Sencliff, since the flavour of the missing central power and rule which makes it unique, and the system can be easile abused which have seen many many times. However a limited settlement system could improve the local life perhaps, a leaderless system with basic prices-tax, with or without custom resource clerk. Could give the same chest system for Sencliff inhabitants (inked pirates or what would be the system for that)

- Ships: i think this two current pirate-only ships are nice, but there should be another permanent ship perhaps which could be rent for 5 years, and like land auction system, the highest bidder could take the ship, kinda Queen of the Pirate fleet.

Many others have great ideas over the improvements, but i havent been around on sencliff before long, so i could just say, these were my best weeks of arelith since a long time around, so i find this place very living and eventfull.
"Burn Them All!"
Plays as Ret, the pyromaniac tribal wargob

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:41 pm

Mirw wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:20 pm
- Ships: i think this two current pirate-only ships are nice, but there should be another permanent ship perhaps which could be rent for 5 years, and like land auction system, the highest bidder could take the ship, kinda Queen of the Pirate fleet.
That's a really cool idea IMO