The state of Andunor

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

reighbo

Re: The state of Andunor

Post by reighbo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:03 pm

ched nasad: (free: drow 97.7%, human 1%, orc 1%. slaves: goblin 40%.)
menzo: (free: drow 98%, human 1%, orc 1%.)
sshamath: (free: drow 98%, human 1%, deep imaskari 1%)

Id wonder, as to what the racial population's percentages are of the city of Andunor.
(just curious as we know Duneshine = away)

And even just by how much the population's percentages might have changed ... off/on
(more lately, as to bring about this the OP's thread)

But most of all, i think id wonder the most about, how the Underdark city would be, while under Outcast/Human rule.
(as Drow have done so "at times")

As by that i'd really, and actually only mean : 1 Outcast-human elected within the Sharps & not less than 2 elected within the Devil's Table.
(as Drow have done this very thing, now and then)

As close as that would ever come thus far was : 1 Outcast-human elected within the Sharps & the Devil's Table vassaled to it.
(even tho it did not not last)

So in effect I'd wonder now more and more about Andunor, under the above conditions of effective Human "elected" rule of both Districts, totally possible as the Drow have been able at times ...

Then after a while of : 1 or even 2 tours of elected office within both at the same time Districts, RE-DO the population's percentages, as Drow have been able to do this as well : and for up too NOT less than 2 tours of Office.
(minus the population's percentages done to show any effect).

I cant really say the Drow rule of both District, had much of a population changing effect, tho it tends only to ever get so popular for the Drow themselves, as the other UDer races tend to wish a place to "elected" rule as well ...

As, if Andunor is a truly a, METROPOLITAN CITY, the racial population's percentages should NOT be effected at all .... Right ?
Even after 3-4 terms of Total "elected" human-Outcast Rule ... should still be "no real effect" .... Right ?

As i feel they have, or will gain the population before too long, to be able to do just that ...
Not even considering the other UD-racial support they may have IE. Orogs & Drow & Goblins & Kobolds. etc etc that will vote for them.
As it seems the over all human population is much higher than any other race ... let alone the mixed "other" races of the underdark ...
making the above more totally possible, if even never so likely to actually happen ...

Still i am left to wonder ...
Any others ... ?

DM Atropos

Post by DM Atropos » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:19 pm

monkeywithstick wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:00 am
DM Atropos wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:40 am
If you see outcasts ambling about Cordor? React. Handle it IC. Ask *why*.
How do I react to that? I am a human and not an outcast. Unless I spend a lot of time sneaking around Andunor to see who else is there, or play an underdark alt take stock of the names I see and metagame the knowledge, I simply do not know that any given non monstrous character is "outcast from surface society"

The only IC obtainable "tells" I can think of would be speaking undercommon and inability to use some portals.

Inversely surfacers in the UD need to learn to speak undercommon to pass there RP wise without raised eyebrows (learning to speak undercommon being a much heftier investment in time and energy than typing -- when you reach the surface) and likewise have some portals deactivated.
If your character doesn't know, spending your (the player's) time worrying about it seems like a bad investment. There are ways to find out. Outcasts rarely remain a secret. Use the ingame methods at your disposal to find out who is an outcast (or in any other way an Underdark hanger-on), or conversely relax and accept that your character simply may not know. Other characters, similarly, simply may not know. We should not assume that because WE as players know Bob is an outcast, our characters do. Maybe he's doing a good job of hiding being a murderous demon. Maybe your character simply isn't up on political intrigue. Maybe he's disguised but our disguise system is broken. There are a myriad of "maybes".
What is woven will be.

flower

Post by flower » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:32 pm

Nitro wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:53 am
flower wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:34 am
So please, share them with us? What is downside of playing an outcast? (regardless of race, human, half orc ...etc).
Laurick won't interact with you (which often leads to your outcast status being revealed when people start questioning why you're avoiding laurick for the umpteenth time instead of just taking a boat ride with them), you can't own surface property or partake in surface settlements as a citizen. Sure you may not be as openly shunned as a drow or kobold coming up to the surface but that makes sense give that they are literal monsters. In tradeoff, you can expect to get bossed around in Andunor a lot (Especially by monster characters) unless you find someone to suck up to until you're powerful yourself.

You also can't trade with the skull coin merchant, which means that technically, as far as mechanical limits go (with the killscripts being gone), outcasts have more mechanical restrictions on them than monster races do.
Oh really?

Lets compare that to:
* restrictive racial play enforced by DMs
*half of monsters have sensitivi rule in place (farewell, running in daylight)
*no monster can use Laurick (or most)
*no monster can enter surface city without disguise, unlike outcasts, and even in disguise are to be subject of DM inspection
* even monster races are bossed around in Andunor if low level. This is not OUTCAST thing. My new drow were repeatedly bullied and harrased by humans in Hub (humans who lived in Sharps) without my drow doing anything. (I am talking about harrass play not harrass by players)
*no monster can own property in surface city like outcast, and be part of elections :D you should not even enter town with them. And if you are with some who can like duergar, try to walk around as duergar without disguise. Unless outcast makes it hard for himself he faces literary no opposition on surface.
*no back up settlement or place to go for evil monster. You cannot hang out in Sibayad, you cannot live in Sencliff in long term. If you are chased in Andunor you are nearly done.
*most monsters have no gifts.

Outcasts have few of limitations put on monster races. Yet they have free access everywhere (unles make their own fame for it). They have no racial policy and restriction to act in boundaries of race. They have no day light restrictions like some monster races. Half orc gets good feats for free, human has free feat and skill points, and both on top get gifts, gifts which offset subraces of monsters. All of these together make them very popular and easy choice.

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by LittleWeasel » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:39 pm

I think this thread is now turning into a contest of who has the harder, more difficult time on the server.
Several DMs have given their input and information on setting and clarification.

We'll look at Outcast mechanics and will decide as a team on whether changes will be necessary and warranted.
In the meantime, please adhere to DM advice as given.

I have received several requests for this thread to be locked, so I am going to do so. If you have further constructive feedback for this thread, feel free to let me or anyone else of the team know and we'll consider re-opening if needed.
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*