Divination Foci for Clerics

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Rooshi49

Divination Foci for Clerics

Post by Rooshi49 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:54 am

Is there a single thing that Clerics gain mechanically from taking this focus? It seems rather . . bare.

My friend game to me and told me that he took Divination Foci for Clerics and was telling me how useless Divination Focus was. My first gut reaction was: "But what about Feeblemind and the Power Word family of spells!?"

. . . Turns out clerics don't have those spells. Turns out they really don't as far as I know gain anything from taking this feat other than the ability to Scry and increased timer on True Seeing.

Can there be some love to clerics with Divination Foci? I totally get that not everything needs to be able to use everything and it be viable, but as a spell casting class, for there to be next to no nothing seems kind of bad.

Diilicious

Re: Divination Foci for Clerics

Post by Diilicious » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Ive had divination foci for about 2 years and a half on my cleric.

It gives no benefit whatsoever besides from the -scry ability.

some would say thats enough on its own, but those people would be wrong. :P
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:14 pm

A minor thing, but divination focus does buff the effects of True Seeing for Arelith.
- Divination foci add to the rounds of True Seeing granted by the Truesight spell. Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus add one round each, while Epic Spell Focus adds two rounds.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:50 pm

Part of the problem is clerics don't actually get any divination spells (Other than True Seeing) outside of Knowledge Domain.

As far as I know, changing that needs haks.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Rooshi49

Post by Rooshi49 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:12 pm

Hunter548 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:50 pm
Part of the problem is clerics don't actually get any divination spells (Other than True Seeing) outside of Knowledge Domain.

As far as I know, changing that needs haks.
:c

There could be something though! It just needs some attention.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:24 am

A potential solution could be for taking divination focus to give a PC a widget in their inventory from which they can cast certain divination spells x/day. Just need to make sure that the item is nontransferable.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 am

Miaou wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:14 pm
A minor thing, but divination focus does buff the effects of True Seeing for Arelith.
- Divination foci add to the rounds of True Seeing granted by the Truesight spell. Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus add one round each, while Epic Spell Focus adds two rounds.
This isnt the case, truesight only lasts 1 round, with 2 rounds at extended. it gives see invisibility but thats already turns/level. divination foci do not affect the length of this.

Epic divination should give turns / level true sight for clerics.

flower

Post by flower » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:59 am

Diilicious wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 am
Miaou wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:14 pm
This isnt the case, truesight only lasts 1 round, with 2 rounds at extended. it gives see invisibility but thats already turns/level. divination foci do not affect the length of this.

If a divner each feat prolongs TS by one. So in theory extended is 2 + 3.

Not sure if it stacks with metamagic or even works as described.

Greater divination tho grants infinite see invisible.

In general i would like some minor tweaks to clerics as they feel now as poor relatives compared to paladins / spellswords.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:51 am

The invisibility purge spell already gives you see invisibility though.. as well as removing the spell from everyone in the area to boot. and is turns per level. and is level 3 spell instead of 5, 4, or 6.

5 rounds of true sight is nothing, I could understand clerics that dont have any divination foci not having a long lasting truesight, but you get nothing for divination foci with a cleric besides scry.

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Diilicious wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 am

Then I suggest you report this to the bug forum if you have experienced this! It worked for me in the past with no issue.

Even though it is a minor buff, it is still something gained besides Scry. Could there be more? Sure. But there is something.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:11 am

It would be nice if any cookies given to divination clerics were also given to divination druids. They're in the same boat.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:43 am

Hazard wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:11 am
It would be nice if any cookies given to divination clerics were also given to divination druids. They're in the same boat.
Except druids are generally in a better boat overall than clerics.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Rooshi49

Post by Rooshi49 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:07 am

I would say that druids should get something as well. IMO taking three feats to get divination as a class shouldn't be a penalty for just RP reasons. I always am of the mind that mechanical and RP aspects should work in harmony.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:32 am

Not all feats offer mechanical incentives. You shouldn't expect every feat to benefit your character from a mechanics perspective. Clerics do some things well, & divination is not one of them. It is a conscious decision to choose that spell focus & know it will only give you one cookie, scry.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:49 am

Honestly, I think the reason people want more 'cookies' for Epic Divination focus is because -scry is in such a sad place right now. It definitely needs to last way, way longer than it does.

I'd say a minute per epic caster level would be a fair increase in its usefulness.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:47 am

Arguably druids and clerics may have a benefit since it's usually easier to regain 5% piety than 5 spell component charges. Failed scries and useless attempts really stung on my wizard, I just shrug it off on my cleric.

Still I could see clerics with divination having an extra divine scrying RP tool, like maybe being able to sense clues about the deity someone worships (within reason and counterable somehow) or being able to "see" what's happening around a consecrated altar

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:11 am

If scry lasted longer I don't think anyone would mind taking 3 whole feats for it.

Would be nice if it was increased to something like 5 minutes. Maybe a -scry command to open a little menu that lets you pick between 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 minute long scry, or just making it 5 minute and able to exit at anytime.

Revelations

Post by Revelations » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:50 pm

I'd rather not be stuck for 5 minutes watching someone AFK real hard or engage in cyber light stuff.

For me the problem is rather how buggy / dangerous (-ward teleport) and easy to counter -scry is.

IMO, cool things to add would be:

-being able to locate characters.
I guess it would be difficult to implement cardinal directions, so perhaps just giving the area they're in as text output works. Limited uses per day?

-being able to sense presence.
If there's someone in the area stealthing, invisible, scrying, what have you, you can sense that "someone" (perhaps how many?) is there without spotting them. Put it on CD?

-other stuff like this?

This isn't exclusive to clerics, though, of course, so idk.
Be faithful in the face of death
And I will give you the crown of life

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Scry location instead of character? Must be some place you visited first and within a reasonable time, but then you can watch who comes and goes from elsewhere.