Why can't I rest while wearing armor?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Tarkus the dog

Why can't I rest while wearing armor?

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 pm

What is the point behind this?

I think that you should be able to rest while wearing armor.

Because it's vexing to take it off every time you want to rest.

And you want to rest very often.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Why can't I rest while wearing armor?

Post by MalKalz » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 pm

How comfortable would you be in full plate? Not comfortable enough to get sleep in.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:08 pm

Spyre wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 pm
Tarkus the dog wrote:

How comfortable would you be in full plate? Not comfortable enough to get sleep in.
As a LARPer, I see it done all the time. Literally all the time. XD
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:13 pm

True, but when does this really matter?

When few roleplay actually sleeping.

I have seen more characters roleplay tying down their shoe laces than doing anything even remotely close to resting.

If we completely look at it from the roleplay perspective too, then what rest/sleep can one even get from such a short period?

Am I meant to roleplay that the rest is longer than it is presented in the game?

I do respect the rules of logic here and especially in a roleplay environment, but at the same time this is a game. I personally don't like feeling annoyed when I am trying to enjoy playing one. That's all.

Intrepid42
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Intrepid42 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:42 pm

If you're ambushed while resting, the mechanic means you wake up out of armour.

As to the resting in armour debate, eventually you have to take the helmet off to eat, go to the toilet, or unstrap that shield from your arm and stretch those joints. It's an imperfect mechanic, but only takes a few seconds, and can be taken to represent those moments of vulnerability. This is a server that has an assassin's guild, and no-one is arguing that assassins have it easy in Arelith.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Intrepid42 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:42 pm
If you're ambushed while resting, the mechanic means you wake up out of armour.
You wake up and put your armour on, because you have several seconds until the perception scripts fires on newly spawned npc's and puts you in combat. (Unless of course, you are new and it catches you out. Or you are very slow and you can't do it)

There's very little that it does do, aside from be an irritation.

As for why it's like it? It's probably a hold over from when Arelith was less mechanically savvy (MSR on Armour era) and focussed more on realism than QoL.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:27 pm

Spyre wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 pm
Tarkus the dog wrote:

I have slept in my full suit of plate armor IRL before. Sure, it gets sweaty on the inside depending on the weather and I can't really lie down, but I can take naps in it, even with the arming cap still on.

Sit on a bench near a wall and have padding on the buttocks and it's possible to rest that way.

Being clad inside a well-padded plate armour is actually very comfortable, provided the set of armour is well-fitted and isn't bulky.

Although I'll say that it might be hard to get good quality sleep that spans 8-hour long, I haven't tried that. Naps and an hour or two rests are definitely possible.

The Kriv

Post by The Kriv » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:18 am

Durvayas wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:08 pm
As a LARPer, I see it done all the time. Literally all the time. XD
I imagine then, you come home from a hard day of work... or school... or the gym, and go to relax on the couch and watch your favorite series or program.

...and before you do, you go to your LARP bag, pull out your full suite of armor, don it, then go lounge around comfortably on the couch. *wink*

I don't doubt if you are tired enough, you could sleep anywhere, in literally anything. But would you wake up refreshed? Would you have the SAME quality of sleep that would enable you to perform at your absolute top peak performance? Doubtful.

Be glad you don't have to carry a sleeping pad in your inventory because resting on that cold, hard, (maybe most) ground won't give you a decent night's rest either. but yet, we do that in-game as well.

The Hunger-Thirst-Fatigue system that's in place is super-light on the realism. As well as adhering to actual D&D rules for resting.

You seriously have it super easy on Arelith.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Rooshi49

Post by Rooshi49 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:40 am

I for one would love to be able to rest in armor, it would free up a bit of my inventory from having to carry clothing to swap off to to keep in character.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:26 am

The Kriv wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:18 am

I don't doubt if you are tired enough, you could sleep anywhere, in literally anything. But would you wake up refreshed? Would you have the SAME quality of sleep that would enable you to perform at your absolute top peak performance? Doubtful.
Happy middle ground would be to have resting in armor simply restore less of the rest meter than resting without. That way, when you're somewhere your character would NEVER consider stripping to rest (A dungeon in the lowerdark, a city street, a town hall meeting, etc), your PC can still plop down and get away from being absolutely at the brink of death by exhaustion without removing the need to get good, restful sleep later.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:08 am

While there's some good points made why we should be able to rest in Medium and Heavy armors, no one actually proposed a suggestion to a solution.

How about this: Instead of restricting rest in Medium and Heavy armors, add an AC penalty to any characters who are resting and wearing Medium or Heavy armor if they get ambushed while resting. The penalty should naturally match the base and bonus AC (if any) on the armor.

The penalty would disappear after combat ends.

It's not the -not- wearing armor when waking up that is inconvenient. It's that any time you want to rest, you have to take your armor off. And most of us don't want to be seen naked in the streets, so we keep a spare set of clothing in our inventory - which takes up an entire six slots of that premium inventory space.

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:28 am

You can rest in light armor fine but anything heavy no.

Umskiptar

Post by Umskiptar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:56 am

Remember the movement speed in medium/heavy armor change? That was a QoL change with arguably more mechanical impact on the game. This won't change anything but be a QoL/convenience thing for anyone wearing medium/heavy armor.

All The Sinners Saints

Post by All The Sinners Saints » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:02 pm

You are far more likely to get a restful nights rest then you are trying to sleep without painkillers while injured, badly injured, or near death, but no such limitations apply there. Its not a question of realism so much as it is of choice. I personally don't care and am not effected by it ig. It adds little to no immersion but on the other hand is no great nuisance either. It just seems like on odd and inconsistent thing to insist realism on.

flower

Post by flower » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:06 am

Nearly all my characters wear heavy armours and I do not feel bothered by time taking it off and on. Neither limited on inventory. You still keep cloths in or do you wear armour on character 24hrs a day on to sever...? Oh nevermind.

Is 30 secs spent on clicking on single item such a bother to the player? I do not think so. As same as I do not think that rping actual rest in game is something so shameful people have to type in they tie shoes. Is this even legal way to role play it after all since you are expect to play out sheet with numbers and class but not resto g where your character mechanically sleeps?

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:10 pm

https://youtu.be/qzTwBQniLSc - Realistic armor expectations.

If anything, it should give you some support while you sit and sleep!