Some feedback from old player.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Heavyline

Some feedback from old player.

Post by Heavyline » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:00 pm

Last time I played in Arelith was in 2012-2013. I can't remember the exact time. But it was +5 years ago and now that I've decided to come back and play on this server again after countless hours of Witcher 3, Dark Souls series, Binding of Isaac, Civilization games, Skyrim etc. I just want to give some feedback about the server experience. Compared to what it was 5 years ago...

Iam having way too much fun on this server and it feels amazing to play here again!

Why? There are so many improvements I've seen here and I'd like to list them.

Skaljard
I started playing in Cordor and it felt really empty for me as a low-level character. Finding people to role-play with is easy, but someone to travel with? Not so much. Sewers, iron mines, frontier, archives... for some reason are very uninteristing places for me unfortunately. Also, I remember when I roll a new character, it's been always a struggle for me to create a backstory for character and why my character decided to sail towards Cordor from his/her home.

Skal? I fell in love with it. At first I read some negative things about it on the forums and I was very intimidated by it. Heard it was rough and unenjoyable. I gave it a try, the very first thing I got from Skal was a backstory for my character and how did he ended up in Skal. There are so many reasons you could think of why character could end up in Skal. Searching for new life or adventure? Betrayed or ended up in wrong ship, when they wanted to go to Cordor instead? Storm in the ocean that led them there? So many choices, it's very inspiring just to look at it! Finding people to role-play and adventure with in Skal is very quick and easy and has been alot of fun. Sure there are alot of people that have no idea how the server works and don't role-play very decently, but with some patience and guidance you can help them to improve and they start to understand what Arelith is all about.

Writ system
When I saw this I felt it was really weird, but now Iam finding it really fun and useful. Especially in Skal. You can easily say that you "work for the Mayor" and there are now other IC reasons to go to places other than "just want to go for exploring and adventuring" or getting a specific material for crafting. Rewards are great and it connects people together in Skal. Although, I think the low-level writ system in Cordor (or maybe the entire server) could use some boosting. Like asking the registry-guy are there any other people currently (online) doing this writ and you could send them a message via Speedy Messenger. Set a meeting and offer companionship for the dangerous writ. In the end, you can sign the writs with name or anonymous. Which pretty much gives you choice do you want people to know in public what writs are you doing at the moment.

XP, gold, death
If I understood correctly. The ridiculous XP penatly from dying is now replaced with timer that people have not been happy about? Years ago, I thought the xp penalty from dying and respawning was one of the most punishing things I've ever seen in a video game. Iam very happy about the timer, even if I haven't died and set to wait for 20+ minutes to respawn. 20 minutes pass quickly. You can take a shower, eat something, drink coffee, clean your apartment. Timer is perfect to take a break after dying in PVP or in adventure! Not only you lost all your gold you carry, but ridiculous amount of XP as well. The XP loss felt like a punch in the gut especially if you spent alot time roleplaying. Nobody wants to see their progress being slowed down. Everyone loves to see their character getting stronger and not being stuck in one spot for too long. XP penalty in the past was too much, because there were no adventuring xps, writs and stuff like that to level up faster. Leveling up in Arelith used to be so much slower, but now that I've seen that leveling up in Arelith is alot faster, Iam very happy with this change. I know Arelith is all about RP, but being low-level character has always been the worst part of the experience every time. Stuff usually starts happening at levels 7+. You start to feel useful and you have a feeling you can finally do something. Heroic or villainous deeds. Getting gold now is alot more easier, if maybe too easy. Quarter locks are ridiculously high with DC (bought a aparment in Skal that already had 100+ DC in lock picking and it only cost like 300 gold/IG month. One last thing is the adventuring XP. I love it. It encourages more RP and less grinding and killing monsters for XP. 10 RPR and 20 adventureXP already gives 30XP every 6 minutes which feels RPR 30. (...and at RPR 30 it's going to be like 50xp? That's amazing!)

There are so many praises about the server right now I can't think all of them.... and I can't think of any negative experiences about the server. The negative stuff has been EE related (crashes), but it dosen't ruin the experience for me.

Fantastic work keeping this server up and improving it even more guys! I have a feeling I'll be having at least +1000 hours on Steam because of this server in the future. Not looking forward to play anything else than Arelith right now.

EDIT: Shoutout to Irongron for being the server owner now. I remember the times when the first player ships were added to the game and I fell in love with them and did some testing with you for some other ship update long time ago. So glad to see how hard you're still working with this server!