Lost Desert / Abyss Party splitting bug

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Rooshi49

Lost Desert / Abyss Party splitting bug

Post by Rooshi49 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:03 pm

So in the Lost Desert and the Abyss the transitions requires you to gather your party before moving on, but sometimes it'll allow certain party members to go on and leave others behind. This can be extremely annoying in these areas because its up to pure RNG as to whether or not you can find eachother again, and specifically in the Abyss there isn't even the option for everyone to teleport out and restart. I know that this might be some limitation of the engine or just some bug that hasn't been addressed, but can anyone think of any ways to mitigate the effects of this bug without breaking the immersion?

The only thing I can think of would be to have some sort of consumable that allowed you to activate it and teleport to your allies through a transition. Other than that I can't really think of anything that couldn't be abused.

Diilicious

Re: Lost Desert / Abyss Party splitting bug

Post by Diilicious » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:54 pm

literally the reason Baator >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Abyss in almost everysingle way.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:18 am

Unfortunately I know little of specifically what causes this bug.

Fortunately, I do know how to prevent it from happening.
It has something to do with people moving and/or clicking the transfer at the same time as others. (although I suspect server lag can also cause this, and these cases while very rare would be less preventable)

I've never once seen it mess up if the entire party stands perfectly still next to the transfer, and if only one singular person clicks the transfer.
Usually when I go to these maps with random people my approach is, get to the transfer before other people, and stand still until someone else clicks it.
If you're with friends or people who you travel with a lot though, you could tell them how to prevent the group split ups, and have a designated 'area transfer clicker' who does it every time and doubles checks to make sure everyone is standing still next it before clicking.

Things to avoid: Spam clicking it until everyone is in range to go instantly, running around a bunch while waiting for people to get closer, transferring by walking onto the area transfer

Dirac

Post by Dirac » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:36 am

With such a huge game breaking bug, why not just allow portal lenses until a solution is found?

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:04 am

Twily wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:18 am

It has something to do with people moving and/or clicking the transfer at the same time as others. (although I suspect server lag can also cause this, and these cases while very rare would be less preventable)

I've never once seen it mess up if the entire party stands perfectly still next to the transfer, and if only one singular person clicks the transfer.
Usually when I go to these maps with random people my approach is, get to the transfer before other people, and stand still until someone else clicks it.
If you're with friends or people who you travel with a lot though, you could tell them how to prevent the group split ups, and have a designated 'area transfer clicker' who does it every time and doubles checks to make sure everyone is standing still next it before clicking.

Things to avoid: Spam clicking it until everyone is in range to go instantly, running around a bunch while waiting for people to get closer, transferring by walking onto the area transfer
Yeah, people moving or walking when someone hits the transition tries to send a movement call when your acton queue isn't empty, and can often result in party splits.

Solution: Designate a 'pathfinder' for the party. They are rsponsible for clicking ll transitions. Everyone else should approach the transition, not enter it, and stand still. The pathfinder then enters. The party should transition with complete success.

Rooshi49

Post by Rooshi49 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:38 am

I guess I know how to deal with it, but the fact that its a possibility makes me not want to go to these places despite me thinking that they're extremely cool. :c

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:40 pm

"It's not a bug, it's a feature"?

At least I always thought so, the abyss has been this way for... I dunno, 10+ years?

Rooshi49

Post by Rooshi49 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:42 pm

If it really is a feature, I feel like it should be removed. The feature / bug essentially requires you to be able to solo the Abyss, which is never particularly fun. Its just aggravating.

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Yeah I always thought it was a feature to replicate sand storms separating party members not staying close or some moving forward to quickly thru paths or passages in the dessert. That's how I have always understood it and rp'd it.

And have always had a designated leader scout that would click the transition to move forward or tell folks to move in closer before clicking the transition.

It's worked well that way since I have been here.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Twily wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:18 am

If this is correct, it should be simple to fix by using SetCommandable() to prevent people overriding the action queue.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.