Suggestion: Pickpocket (Satisfying Experience)

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Vanzan Vega
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Suggestion: Pickpocket (Satisfying Experience)

Post by Vanzan Vega » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:28 am

I am not a rogue, and I do not pick pockets, but during a discussion, an interesting suggestion came up.

What if rogue could pick a percentage of person's current gold based on their Skill Rank, for example:

1-10: 5% of Target's Current Gold
11-20: 10% of Target's Current Gold
21-25: 20% of Target's Current Gold
26-30: 25% of Target's Current Gold

Would make picking pockets more satisfying then getting a flat 50 gold, and may drive more interesting interactions / content.

Apologies if this has been suggested before.

Regards,

Hannibal

Rooshi49

Re: Suggestion: Pickpocket (Satisfying Experience)

Post by Rooshi49 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:07 pm

That would be interesting, but I'd like to see some sort of grace period when going to the banker and withdrawing gold, eitherwise theres going to be alot of people just invis camping the bankers waiting for someone to whisper: 100,000 gold and then insta pickpocket them.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:24 am

When improving pickpocket some years back, I focused on making it better in PvM rather than stealing more in PvP. Ultimately, PvP stealing often leaves a bad taste in the mouth for other players, and is frequently non-interactive.

That you can get XP from pickpocketing monsters means that pickpocket actually provides a whole different way to play the game, that's quite different from normal dungeoneering.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 am

I'd just be happy if it stopped telling people I stole something when I try to pick pocket an item that's too large and succeed. You end up trying to explain to someone that you don't actually have anything that they had.