Timestop Suggestions

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Sockss

Re: Timestop Suggestions

Post by Sockss » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:01 pm

It wouldn't change much after people adapted to it.

The same as not allowing skill dumps. It'd just make build orders slightly more complex and reduce the total amount of skill points across the majority of characters.

UMD is a far cry away from required as it is currently. It's nice to have, but you can still be competitive without it.

Making changes for the sake of making them, without a clear problem to solve (which I don't agree there is one here at all), is not wise.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Wings of Peace

Post by Wings of Peace » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:47 am

All I want from Timestop is a limit to how many times it can occur over certain periods of time in an area. Faction vs. faction pvp grinds to a halt when both sides have multiple casters because it's a daisy chain of timestops.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:15 pm

A true democracy

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:44 am

flower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:12 am
do you think people got 40 UMD?
I don't, but that's kind of the whole point. From a design perspective, Devs have recently introduced items with UMD requirements exceeding 40+, which is a pretty clear directive that in their vision not every character should be able to use every thing with just a 3 level dip and 33 ranks.

I don't think the suggestion that higher level spells should follow suit is that outrageous.
flower wrote:
It would force majority of people to relevel
I think this is much less of an inconvenience than you're making it out to be. In the first place, if you dipped a UMD class, you can most likely literally lose exactly enough XP to be one XP away from 30 and wait six minutes for an RP tick. 33 ranks at 8 charisma will still cover most spells- since UMD dips are almost always finished at 30.

Are we really arguing that non-caster classes become completely non-viable without access to all spells of all levels at 15 ranks of UMD?
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:10 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:44 am
flower wrote:
do you think people got 40 UMD?
I don't, but that's kind of the whole point. From a design perspective, Devs have recently introduced items with UMD requirements exceeding 40+, which is a pretty clear directive that in their vision not every character should be able to use every thing with just a 3 level dip and 33 ranks.

I don't think the suggestion that higher level spells should follow suit is that outrageous.
flower wrote:
It would force majority of people to relevel
I think this is much less of an inconvenience than you're making it out to be. In the first place, if you dipped a UMD class, you can most likely literally lose exactly enough XP to be one XP away from 30 and wait six minutes for an RP tick. 33 ranks at 8 charisma will still cover most spells- since UMD dips are almost always finished at 30.

Are we really arguing that non-caster classes become completely non-viable without access to all spells of all levels at 15 ranks of UMD?
There's a reason no one makes non-UMD builds anymore now that Kensai is gone.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:16 am

TimeAdept wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:10 am
There's a reason no one makes non-UMD builds anymore now that Kensai is gone.
Except for the ton of the people that make non-UMD builds.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:16 pm

UMD & Timestop & Tumble are the literal dead horses of Arelith. We keep pounding away. I think a lot of posts concerning timestop are from the PvP unfamiliar - the majority of Arelith. It's frustrating when 10 timestops go off, but the scrolls do play an important role in balance. It's annoying, sure, but changing anything to do with the scrolls have ramifications. The recent change to timestop fixed a lot of the problem with the spell - I think we're good for another 10 years.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:43 am

Ork wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:16 pm
UMD & Timestop & Tumble are the literal dead horses of Arelith. We keep pounding away.
Don't forget quarter doors, pickpocket, disarm, knockdown and discipline. Our floor is littered with horsecorpses.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.