Passive (Adventure) XP trickle rate.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Passive (Adventure) XP trickle rate.

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:19 am

Just as a point of information:

I don't really know what our 'expected time limit to reach 30' is right now. I don't know if we really have one!

However- when I first started playing the server (Over ten years ago now- dear god) I was told by the Powers That Be that they thought the average time it should take a player to reach 30, given reasonable play times, adventuring, ect, was about 9 IRL months.

That said, this was ten years ago when things were very different.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:42 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:19 am
Just as a point of information:

I don't really know what our 'expected time limit to reach 30' is right now. I don't know if we really have one!

However- when I first started playing the server (Over ten years ago now- dear god) I was told by the Powers That Be that they thought the average time it should take a player to reach 30, given reasonable play times, adventuring, ect, was about 9 IRL months.

In my experience, you can level a half-decent build to 30 within 3-6 months. And that's not a fast rate. You can even play non-combat chars (a pure bard, in my case) to high levels pretty swiftly, but I assume that's mostly due to high player counts these days.

TroubledWaters

Post by TroubledWaters » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Compared to Arelith, other servers I have played on have awarded less XP for killing mobs (or capped max mob XP per day) and more ticking XP for RP.

I liked this approach as I think it promoted more player interaction and less circle-grinding. However, I get that's not the game on Arelith and I can live with the grind.

Droolguy

Post by Droolguy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks for responding Grumpy, I would just need to know what "reasonable play times" meant in actual hours.

As far as 9 months go, looking at the speed of progress for grinding, it seems quite a bit longer than I would expect it to take realistically. We have players in this thread who claim a little over 140 hours, and while I don't like the fact that they used personal analogies to set the basis of their argument, the math was sound.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:42 pm

You can definitely be 30 inside a month. Certainly above 20. You could do it before writs - writs make it easier now. But it's a huge time investment and requires a group of people who know what they are doing and putting in dedicated time at doing nothing but run-circle-grinding the correct areas.

I don't have hard math to give you, sorry, just my experience and the experience of others.

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:22 pm

TimeAdept wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:42 pm
You can definitely be 30 inside a month. Certainly above 20. You could do it before writs - writs make it easier now. But it's a huge time investment and requires a group of people who know what they are doing and putting in dedicated time at doing nothing but run-circle-grinding the correct areas.

I don't have hard math to give you, sorry, just my experience and the experience of others.
Can confirm, but that's brainless grinding and running constantly, as far as I witnessed.

rookie

Post by rookie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:30 pm

I think it would be interesting to have adventure XP trickle at a variable rate depending upon what you're doing. For example if you're in town perhaps it burns at an extra 40 xp a tick or if you haven't gained XP from combat in the past 1-3 ticks it burns an extra 40 xp a tick.

You could even have it where there is some set XP threshold per set time period (whether tick, RL hour, whatever), if you're well under that then your adventure XP burns more per tick and as you get closer to that threshold it burns less and less, down to 0 burned if you exceed it. So if you're circle grinding constantly running about you get 0 xp converted a tick, if you're slowly going through a dungeon and RPing then you'd get some, and if you're not gaining combat XP at all you'd convert an increased rate a tick.

Regionals

Post by Regionals » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:51 pm

rookie wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:30 pm
I think it would be interesting to have adventure XP trickle at a variable rate depending upon what you're doing. For example if you're in town perhaps it burns at an extra 40 xp a tick or if you haven't gained XP from combat in the past 1-3 ticks it burns an extra 40 xp a tick.
Perhaps adventure XP could trickle it at a higher rate when you're inside a settlement you're a citizen of, or the guildhouse of a faction you're a member of?

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:44 pm

I like the suggestion of having a dynamic amount of Adventure xp trickle rate depending on where you are.

In addition, could even have the numbers increase if you're in town AND you're an area near other player characters, which would further encourage roleplay.

Amineh123

Post by Amineh123 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:38 pm

Sorry but that's silly. What about people who RP a lot far away of towns? Where you are doesn't matter, what you do does.

Droolguy

Post by Droolguy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:16 pm

Amineh123 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:38 pm
Sorry but that's silly. What about people who RP a lot far away of towns? Where you are doesn't matter, what you do does.
I agree with this, although the goal is to get as many people into fun RP as possible. So I do believe some consideration should be given to the size of the group in RP, or that it should have some bearing on the rate.

To be honest I am just glad this thread is having a discussion over possibilities though.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:44 pm

Amineh123 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:38 pm
FYI: There's already an XP bonus for being in a [Rest] area, like a tavern.

Regionals

Post by Regionals » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:59 am

If the suggestion was taken- which it likely won't be- it doesn't mean no XP bonuses anywhere else, just a little more when RPing where you're a citizen to make the places feel a little more lived in and give more a sense of "home base."

And it's just throwing out ideas, that's what discussion is about. Don't call people "silly" or worse if suggestions are made in the spirit of discussion. I'm pretty much through with making suggestions around here because it tends to get very insulting quick if someone disagrees. Remember 99% of suggestions don't happen and the ones that do are carefully considered before being enacted. Let the discussions happen, if you disagree be polite about it or let it go.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:01 am

Regionals wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:51 pm
rookie wrote:
Perhaps adventure XP could trickle it at a higher rate when you're inside a settlement you're a citizen of, or the guildhouse of a faction you're a member of?
Love it. Create hubs of activity by bolstering adv. xp in and around major areas. Doesn't preclude people from role-playing elsewhere, you're just incentivising people to roleplay at dependable locations. And by bolster, I'm hoping it's more than 10 xp currently in [rest] areas. Maybe move people 1 step up on the RPR ladder while in the particular region.

Amineh123

Post by Amineh123 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:06 am

I didn't call anybody silly, just the idea, and I keep that opinion. If anybody feels offended by it, sorry.
I am aware of small XP bonus in Taverns, maybe it's good, for sake of gathering a group? I don't know.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:35 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:19 am

My expected time investment to hit 30 is between 100 and 120 hours of adventuring. This could be done in a single week by a particularly invested player, or spread out over the course of two to three months by a more casual player. I've done both myself, but usually I end up taking a little under a month to hit max level playing about 30 hours each week. I think this pace is pretty ideal and is in line with the typical MMO.
rookie wrote:

You could even have it where there is some set XP threshold per set time period (whether tick, RL hour, whatever), if you're well under that then your adventure XP burns more per tick and as you get closer to that threshold it burns less and less, down to 0 burned if you exceed it. So if you're circle grinding constantly running about you get 0 xp converted a tick, if you're slowly going through a dungeon and RPing then you'd get some, and if you're not gaining combat XP at all you'd convert an increased rate a tick.
I think this is a pretty good idea, but I'm a little concerned about encouraging social RP *too much*. I like to reward players for taking risks and I dislike large 'free' sources of passive exp income as a design philosophy. Also, it might make people feel like they have to stay in town to drain their pool which just keeps growing rather than go out adventuring because the passive exp stream might be faster than what they'd expect to receive from adventuring.

What about this: for every RPR tick you're in a 'rested area' (e.g. a town, tavern, whatever), an RPR-tick worth of adventure exp is moved into a "rested pool". The experience you receive from adventuring is doubled until this rested pool is depleted.

Given a 20 RPR player with a full adventure exp bank and ignoring RPR exp:

- Outside of a rested area, they would gain 40 exp per tick.
- No change to enemy kill exp return.

- Inside a rested area, they would gain 40 exp per tick, and another 40 exp is moved from their adventure pool to their rested pool.
- When killing an enemy that would normally give 40 exp, they would gain 80 exp. Their rested pool would then be empty.
- When killing an enemy that would normally give 20 exp, they would gain 40 exp. Their rested pool would have 20 exp remaining.
- When killing an enemy that would normally give 100 exp, they would get 140 exp. Their rested pool would then be empty.
- If the adventure pool is empty and the rested pool is not, exp will be drawn from the rested pool as if it were in the adventure pool during RPR ticks.

I think this system has the same end result as yours, but it further encourages players to adventure between RP sessions rather than rewarding them with the exp during periods of downtime (e.g. when not dungeon crawling). This system would also be open to future expansion - for example, we could add a boost to the rested pool for every hour you are offline up to a 24- or 48- hour cap, which would further help casual players catch up with what limited time they have to play.

edit: More ways to expand this system: resting by a fireplace moves some adventure exp to the rested exp pool. Eating player-cooked food too. Resting on a bedroll rather than on the ground.

Droolguy

Post by Droolguy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:19 pm

Liareth,

I'm not sure how that would reward people who RP, as it would effect grinders to the same extent as people RPing.

In essence the whole system would simply double the amount that people get from RPR when they go through town to restock.

The Roleplay/adventure cycle is a neat idea though that I like.

Spinning off your system, what if the rate that people gained "rested XP" wasn't linear?

Every six minutes, it goes up by 5% (multiplicative, not additive), capping at 20 times (2 hours).

Bonus experience like this... (I don't have a RPR30/40, so am guessing at what their XP ticks are)

Time in minutes / RPR20 / RPR30 / RPR40

6 40 60 80
12 42 63 84
18 44 66 88
24 46 69 93
30 49 73 97
36 51 77 102
42 54 80 107
48 56 84 113
54 59 89 118
60 62 93 124
66 65 98 130
72 68 103 137
78 72 108 144
84 75 113 151
90 79 119 158
96 83 125 166
102 87 131 175
108 92 138 183
114 96 144 193
120 101 152 202

Then simply make it so that a character DOES NOT get the bonus XP tick if they have not typed or emoted in the six minute window, preventing AFKers.

The rate of the XP ramp might need to be tweaked, but this would essentially reward people spending more time roleplaying more than people who spend less, up to a cap to prevent people from just "hanging out".

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:14 pm

Droolguy wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:19 pm
Then simply make it so that a character DOES NOT get the bonus XP tick if they have not typed or emoted in the six minute window, preventing AFKers.
That's already a thing, but I think it's 12 minutes.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:35 am

Being able to use stored XP to re-level would be the best, and I'd love it. Not a fan of the "your character is old, delete it" mentality. I disagree with it. A player should decide when to end their character's story because they feel it's over, not because 'an update happened' or ... 'I want to try something new, but game won't allow it'. Nothing will change my opinion! Ree.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).