Mechanical Changes Subforum

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Baron Saturday

Mechanical Changes Subforum

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:03 pm

Nitro wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:38 pm
Honestly, I don't know why we have a mechanical changes subforum (that was supposed to be kept up to date every time a new update came out) when it's often more outdated than the wiki.
Been wondering about this myself. At this point, that subforum is so out of date that pretty much every category has something wrong with it. This is especially problematic because it's linked to the -manual command ingame, so people who don't visit the forums and wiki may be relying on the outdated info in the subforum.

Wanted to brainstorm some ways this could be addressed. One option, of course, is to scrap the whole thing, which would be easy but wasteful. Another option would be to overhaul everything and get a group of people together who are willing to take on the long-term project of keeping everything up to date, much like the wiki team.

Any other ideas?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

naturaly

Re: Mechanical Changes Subforum

Post by naturaly » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:23 pm

The wiki seem to be made as a result of this problem. Can -manual pull from wiki instead, and we get rid of Mechanical Changes subforum? Is that dangerous?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:26 pm

I don't think changing -manual to pull from the wiki would be dangerous, since our wiki requires a wiki account to edit and not that many people seem to have one. I do question the feasibility of it, though, since the mechanical changes subforum was written in such a way as to be very succinct and easy to display in NWN.

(As an aside, the wiki came first. The mechanical changes subforum was a fairly recent attempt to create a wiki accessible from ingame.)
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:01 pm

The simplest solution, imo, would be to ask someone to volunteer as a forum moderator to update the section and maybe to keep it up to date in future. The wiki has been falling out of date as well. I think I have the access to the wiki, but haven't been arsed to update it, although I've seriously considered it.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:34 pm

An easy solution would be to make updating public reference information, either the wiki or forum, a mandatory step when making changes to the server, then push for a period where individuals responsible for changes update what needs to be updated to reflect the correct information.

I could do it myself, but I do not have high level warlocks/conjurers from which to test reports that the summons listed have the wrong stats, which is why it's important for those who make changes to correctly inform the player base about those changes.
\