Sencliff Discussion Thread

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Cerk Evermoore

Sencliff Discussion Thread

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:28 am

I posted a couple suggestions in the suggestion board about a variety of quality of life issues folks at Sencliff could enjoy. I know it isn't a popular opinion that we add more settlements but I think Sencliff should be considered for a variety of reasons. Folks who take the ink give up on voting in any other elections, so they are completely barred from politics forever.

Playing a villain out of Sencliff also feels very futile. Because the safety of the shipping lanes does not really matter in game, so you can find yourself week after week conducting acts of piracy and never really find any real opposition.

These are some of the reasons I think Sencliff has struggled in the past. Crafting on the island is also a nightmare because you are forced to go to the mainland to get one coal or a piece of wood from a tree. The settlements natural warehouse should stock those things and resources from Sencliff's successful pirate acts in the form of resources naturally spawning in the chests on vessels folks
would routinely board.

I think things like this would make the island more interesting towards players and help encourage them to set up shop there. Sencliff has a lot of great potential, and I know folks may not be very happy with the idea of making Sencliff into a settlement. But I feel folks with the pirate tattoo should at least get one place they can do politics, considering what becoming a pirate means in terms of what you give up.

TimeAdept

Re: Sencliff Discussion Thread

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:46 am

My Sencliff ideas:

1: Don't make it a settlement, but do offer privelege based on pirate rank. A Dread Pirate should have more they can do, even if it's not directly a settlement. The great Pirate Moot of some sorts. Politics should stay pretty light and laid back on Sencliff as far as "voting" goes, imo.

2: Add a warehouse that PCs don't directly manage, but can affect and make better based on piracy writs and actions they perform in game. Attacking Guldorand stuff adds wood products, attacking Brog adds ores stones, attacking Cordor adds cloths and herbs, so on, so forth.

3: In the same vein, being able to "declare war" on a settlement or area of focus as a group-moot sort of thing in Sencliff would be very cool, and if successful, the island would gain some temporary boost or effect as long as it lasted. Maybe a unique fence sells a bunch of interesting Amnish goods if Cordor is successfully warred upon and blockaded, or enemy warehouses suffer, or such. I know the war system caused a lot of NPE in the past, but I believe if any area should have an equivalent, it should be the pirates. There should be limitations to the system, but Sencliff's "leadership" being able to shake a hook and go "Arrr!" at specific people might spike up some naval RP. Shady Cordorians could pay off Sencliff pirates to go attack political enemies in Brog, for example, or Sencliff could expend effort to gain influence in the Crow's Nest by killing rival swashbucklers, or even do something similar with Wharftown's Port and influencing The Boys there.

Brandon Steel

Post by Brandon Steel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:31 pm

I see people saying that the Brog starting area needs some love recently, but if anything really needs it it’s Sencliff. Along with a slew of other problems it’s just a terrible (and at one point bugged with non-respawning mobs, not sure if it’s fixed.) starting area that you need to go somewhere else entirely to level.

brunothenumerouno

Post by brunothenumerouno » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:52 pm

I mentioned this a few times when playing a pirate in the pirate discord, but a few lowbie dungeons around crows nest would do wonders not only for sencliff but the half orcs camp, the dark heart grove, and even people from Cordor bored with the same old local dungeons. And it also saves the devs from having to build an area just for one group that may or may not be popular at the moment.

As far as your point about gathering resources, I actually disagree. Forcing the pirates to hit the mainland for that sort of thing leads to potential conflict. Players need to react to pirates accordingly however. I saw a few pirates chilling on the road into Cordor with their tats out for all to see the other day, and I died a little on the inside. Granted, I didn't say anything either, so Thwwpt on me.

Brandon Steel

Post by Brandon Steel » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:02 am

brunothenumerouno wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:52 pm
I saw a few pirates chilling on the road into Cordor with their tats out for all to see the other day, and I died a little on the inside. Granted, I didn't say anything either, so Thwwpt on me.
Unfortunately there’s really not many other choices as leveling at Sencliff is nigh impossible.

brunothenumerouno

Post by brunothenumerouno » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:28 am

There is a difference between lowbie pirates running around doing writs to get to 8 or so and epic level pirates hanging on the road in. That being said, I didn't stop to talk so I have no idea what they were doing, and it could have been something beyond what it looked like from the outside. Just as a disclaimer there.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:51 am

How about we just remove instant identification markers from descriptions and, hear me out here because this is a novel idea, actually let people roleplay to find things out about other characters?

brunothenumerouno

Post by brunothenumerouno » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:17 pm

I'm not against your point in theory, but pirates get a lot of advantages that other's do not. Also, with bluff borked I'm not sure about this but I -think- it still hides the tatoos.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:11 pm

I like the idea of making sencliffe a pirate settlement or something.

Though I don't know how this would work with the current NPC ruling force of the city.
\