Quarter locks

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

caldura firebourne

Re: Quarter locks

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:27 pm

1. take 20 doesn't work on quarter locks
2. skill mastery doesn't work on quarter locks
3. thieves tools don't work on quarter locks

but yes DC 45 base +5 per 10k quarter price is a very low range achieveable by 3 level dip rogues easily, Also Irongron did say these were not final numbers, it's the theory behind the mechanic he's proposing.

as far as quarter hogging, an added lock DC decay would help mitigate that if you HAD to do the upkeep every few days to keep that DC from dropping
Plays as the monster in your closet

Nevrus
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Nevrus » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:38 pm

My suggestion would be to embrace calling cards.

Make an item only usable by level 21 rogues or 11 assassins that puts a notification on the door of intent to break, that after 3 irl days reduces the lock DC by 50 for the caller only, for 2 hours only. Or make it a command. It provides setup, a limited window of opportunity, and capacity to counterplay. Everyone gets guaranteed story out of it. Unless the player is so inactive they dont know what happened until it's too late, in which case tough luck, bub.
Ganus- Riding the Isle (Active)
Aura Bigstep - Got Out Ahead (Retired)
Egos Ironhide - Shelved
Consult a medical professional before believing anything Nevrus says.

naturaly

Post by naturaly » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Make 80+ dc locks much more expensive to maintain.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:01 pm

I'm not a fan Of IG's proposal. The proposal would simply make cheaper houses unusable, as anyone could break in.

I think the issue here is that I see quarter thievery in a different way, and is one of the server policies that leaves me scratching my head. It's non-interactive role play you can do nothing about and often just can't reasonably react to coming home and seeing your normally full box down to 15 items and the door wide open. With such an emphasis on "inclusive RP" i personally do not understand why you can be robbed by someone you may never see even online due to time zone differences.

I also don't think making some quarters even MORE exclusive with More benefits separating the haves from the have-nots does anything but hurt the server.
\

Regionals

Post by Regionals » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 pm

I still just go back to.. Max out quarter locks at a point where they are just barely possible to open by a typically built rogue with epic commitment. Getting in to a place you shouldn't to ambush, spy, surprise or whatever is great for RP and something an epic rogue ought to be capable of.

But, I think the chests inside should just be locked and openable only by someone with the quarter key. No lockpicking at all. There's so little quality RP generated by anonymous theft and so many hurt feelings, it's better to just remove the possibility.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:30 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:01 pm
I'm not a fan Of IG's proposal. The proposal would simply make cheaper houses unusable, as anyone could break in.

I think the issue here is that I see quarter thievery in a different way, and is one of the server policies that leaves me scratching my head. It's non-interactive role play you can do nothing about and often just can't reasonably react to coming home and seeing your normally full box down to 15 items and the door wide open. With such an emphasis on "inclusive RP" i personally do not understand why you can be robbed by someone you may never see even online due to time zone differences.

I also don't think making some quarters even MORE exclusive with More benefits separating the haves from the have-nots does anything but hurt the server.
you keep saying that there's no way to do anything about people breaking into quarters, you can -investigate, you can look for clues, if they keep coming back you can narrow down when and set up to catch them in the act

(edit) To add a bit of construction, making the cheaper quarters easier to break into and therefore less wanted, will help to make housing available to those who are willing to take the risk for that extra storage, the difference between the "Haves and have nots" isn't really that big on arelith, anybody can grind out levels and gold and go from a "have not" to a "have" with some patience and persistance
Last edited by caldura firebourne on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Investigate? Find out their race and that they were dextrua? Doesn't help. Doesn't work if there has been a reset either.

Hard to catch them too when there is absolutely no way to tell what time they are on.

If I had my way quarters would be un-pickable and pickpocket would get more attention as they way to "epic steal" as it's interactive rp.
Last edited by BegoneThoth on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
\

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:37 pm

it doesn't help certainly if you refuse to try anything with it simply on the basis that you believe it doesn't help

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:41 pm

I have investigated before. I was on the guard in Cordor for a bit. You find out a person may or may not be armored, that a human was pretty beefy, and that a goblin was 'obviously attractive.'

It's no good.
\

Bryce Silver-Wind

Post by Bryce Silver-Wind » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:45 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:41 pm
I have investigated before. I was on the guard in Cordor for a bit. You find out a person may or may not be armored, that a human was pretty beefy, and that a goblin was 'obviously attractive.'

It's no good.
This does need to be upgraded....perhaps something closer to...a male elf in black leathers wearing an adamantine helmet, he looked pretty dexterous.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Beaten with -disguise or a 'stume change.
\

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:49 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:47 pm
Beaten with -disguise or a 'stume change.
IE Some effort has gone into concealing

why shouldn't effort go into breaking that concealment?

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:54 pm

I'd love to see a compelling (read: not just the word 'roleplay') reason people should be able to steal from quarter chests anyway. Into a quarter to spy, sure. But the chest?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:56 pm

One Two Three Five wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:54 pm
I'd love to see a compelling (read: not just the word 'roleplay') reason people should be able to steal from quarter chests anyway. Into a quarter to spy, sure. But the chest?
I agree with this post.
\

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:57 pm

Having played a Fence who would buy stolen items at a markdown and resell them for profit (in person because with shops it was too easy to get noticed by someone who might have had property stolen) I can say there is plenty of reason, roleplay and mechanical one player should be allowed to play their thief as a thief and not just a glorified dungeon delving locksmith

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:01 pm

Do that with pickpocket where there's counter play and interaction and roleplay required.

As opposed to stealing from someone not online.
\

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:02 pm

this is getting way off topic, I'm happy to discuss this in PMs with you

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:11 pm

One Two Three Five wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:54 pm
The more I think about this the more I like it. Add an optional high rent (5,000 more gold a month) option to the security tab of quarter management that makes the chest only open to keyholders or faction members with quarter access permissions.

Then lower the max DC of locks so you don't need to be a walking gimmick to get into a quarter and spy.
\

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:16 pm

5k a month doesn't really balance that though, 5k is obtainable with about 20 minutes of grinding, it doesn't exactly offset the sheer amount of effort that goes into levelling a walking gimmick to the point of being able to attempt it

monkeywithstick
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by monkeywithstick » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Another real pain with quarter theft is going to be timezone maths.

Sure it -can- make for some RP opportunities (limited by NPC presence etc.)
But if I am in say AUTZ, and have the requisite skills, it's easy enough to rob people who are never or almost never online in my timezone. At which point only very minimal RP/conflict is created because with all the best will in the world if your victim is asleep or at work/college reliably when you are out burgling there really is nothing that can be added to that story.
Characters: Izzy, short for Isabel. Shaena Ash.

Bryce Silver-Wind

Post by Bryce Silver-Wind » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:26 pm

monkeywithstick wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:19 pm
Another real pain with quarter theft is going to be timezone maths.

Sure it -can- make for some RP opportunities (limited by NPC presence etc.)
But if I am in say AUTZ, and have the requisite skills, it's easy enough to rob people who are never or almost never online in my timezone. At which point only very minimal RP/conflict is created because with all the best will in the world if your victim is asleep or at work/college reliably when you are out burgling there really is nothing that can be added to that story.
If you suspect your being ICly targeted, hire goons to watch your house....have people that ICly live there with you to protect your assets...lots of ways to get around it.

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:34 pm

caldura firebourne wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:27 pm
How about Daily lock decay 1-3 points per day lock DC on quarters decreases requiring a constant upkeep and activity, if you're one of the players who only logs in once a week you risk being broken into
I'd structure it as a daily 'learning' or 'tinkering' so a Rogue (or several) could gradually lower the DC of any door. It doesn't become a gold sink on top of the gold sink *unless* you have someone trying to break in. Also, fosters that RP that you're on notice someone is trying to break in.

I do like the idea of dropping the DC when quarters are sold and locks are changed. Alternately, leave the DC *and* the old keys valid, reset the DC when you install new locks.
~~~~~~
Badger
Wynn
RIP: Paddy

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:37 pm

the fact that your character essentially disapears from the universe when you log out means that it should be as difficult/impossible for somebody to break into your quarter as is mechanically possible. Because you would hear them opening doors and rumaging around in your chest were your character still to be in actual existance.

Also just because 1 person can open your door doesnt mean one person will be coming in and you can very quickly be cleaned out, the point where quarters are made accessable to those whom it should not be is the point that all quarters become absolutely worthless to their owners and you make sour a very large portion of the playerbase for literally no gain.

I want my healer cleric to be able to cure all of peoples annoying obviously curable "incurable" diseases, missing limbs etc. But just because I want that doesnt make it so. Just because a rogue wants to break into your home doesnt mean they should be able to either.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Bryce Silver-Wind

Post by Bryce Silver-Wind » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:44 pm

Diilicious wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:37 pm
the fact that your character essentially disapears from the universe when you log out means that it should be as difficult/impossible for somebody to break into your quarter as is mechanically possible. Because you would hear them opening doors and rumaging around in your chest were your character still to be in actual existance.

Also just because 1 person can open your door doesnt mean one person will be coming in and you can very quickly be cleaned out, the point where quarters are made accessable to those whom it should not be is the point that all quarters become absolutely worthless to their owners and you make sour a very large portion of the playerbase for literally no gain.

I want my healer cleric to be able to cure all of peoples annoying obviously curable "incurable" diseases, missing limbs etc. But just because I want that doesnt make it so. Just because a rogue wants to break into your home doesnt mean they should be able to either.
Actually...quoted from a robber of old....the best time to break into someones house, is when they are at home eating dinner, as they are generally too preoccupied with their meal to notice things and often dismiss it.

Home thefts are also done quite often with the person sleeping right in the same room, so your logic doesn't really make a lot of sense.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Don't rob a house with someone home in America or you're going to get blasted.
\