Quarter locks

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Nitro

Re: Quarter locks

Post by Nitro » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:41 pm

There is a (or several) player made and lead thieves guilds, but not any:
official server Thieves faction you don't want players being put in the position to say you can or can't join.

Regionals

Post by Regionals » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Sab1 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:17 pm
Also if there was an official server Thieves faction you don't want players being put in the position to say you can or can't join.
I hear you, but there are already many factions like the Arcane Tower that have mechanical benefits and property and are also player-run. They're able to shut people out, yes, but that's part of the game. You can still play a loner or unaffiliated wizard and no reason to think you couldn't play a rogue exactly as you do now if there was a more organized thieves' guild that gave some new abilities to its members.

Anyway in a broader sense I think a more organized thieves' guild faction is a very standard D&D/fantasy trope and something missing here.. think the Mafia instead of little bands of small time crooks like we have now.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:22 am

In my experience, I've rarely ever had a good/fun time when it comes to theft. Either something goes missing from your inventory with 0 RP. It's just gone. Better hope it wasn't important because you're never getting it back, and you'll never know what happened to it. If it was an RP item, I assume it was trashed.

Or .. A fixture goes missing. Same deal. No RP. No way to find it/get it back unless you're very lucky. It's just gone. Better hope it wasn't important. If it was an RP item, it's probably been edited over.

If those two examples of "thief rp" are anything to go by, I'm not very optimistic or excited about someone being able to break into my character's home.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:46 am

Seems pretty straight forwards. If this discussion is about RP theft. Then everybody that has a quarters has the ability to lower the DC of their locks right now if they want to engage/interactive RP. Go around every quarters on the server, those who have their DC set at 127 do not want other players stealing their gear. If you make it so quarters can be broken into then you take the ability away from the player owning the quarter and force them into RP of the theft whether they want to or not...or just lose their belongings which is hardly a fun outcome.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:45 pm

Regionals wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 pm
Sab1 wrote:
Also if there was an official server Thieves faction you don't want players being put in the position to say you can or can't join.
I hear you, but there are already many factions like the Arcane Tower that have mechanical benefits and property and are also player-run. They're able to shut people out, yes, but that's part of the game. You can still play a loner or unaffiliated wizard and no reason to think you couldn't play a rogue exactly as you do now if there was a more organized thieves' guild that gave some new abilities to its members.

Anyway in a broader sense I think a more organized thieves' guild faction is a very standard D&D/fantasy trope and something missing here.. think the Mafia instead of little bands of small time crooks like we have now.
But this is why you see official factions like Assassin guild, Pirates. radiant Heart have a NPC in charge. So it doesn't become a buddy club, where a select few get the benefits while excluding the rest. Things like the arcane tower of Heart wood grove really don't have a lot of special perks if someone joins or is kept out by player. You don't want players in charge of a faction that gives out special perks or bonus to members. Just look at the disaster the Harpers became a few years ago when players were allowed to dictate members.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:26 pm

The grove and arcane tower factions aren't even mechanically empowered in their areas, the grove doesn't have a guildhouse so anyone can make their own grove faction and the arcane tower faction no longer holds monopoly on the whole tower, just the warden areas so you can play arcane tower mages unaffiliated with the 'arcane tower' faction or make your own faction operating out of the tower.

Atlantahammy

Post by Atlantahammy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Regionals wrote:
Sab1 wrote:

...Lmao we have no benefits man, just a building, it's 100% player run, We can't "Shut" anyone out, and that has actually been a problem. So you may want a better example...

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:31 pm

Atlantahammy wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:30 pm
Regionals wrote:
Sab1 wrote:

...Lmao we have no benefits man, just a building, it's 100% player run, We can't "Shut" anyone out, and that has actually been a problem. So you may want a better example...
While it's true, Atlantahammy, that the Arcane Tower and it's members have no mechanical benefits, you CAN shut people out by not granting them membership. You do have the benefit of the big guildhouse and the name, The Arcane Tower. People seek out the Tower for membership and RP and you have a distinct advantage over other player-made arcane guilds simply because of the history of the Arcane Tower and the attachment to the building itself. No other arcane guild on the server has been able to compete and it's not because the RP wasn't good, consistent, or dedicated. The actual structure you reside in, and the name have given the faction longevity.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. Players can be denied membership to the Arcane Tower, and in /some/ cases that's a good thing. I've been on the inside. I know exactly what damage one terrible member can do. But please don't overlook that you do have benefits not afforded to factions that don't have the big stable guildhouse.

That was totally off-topic but I really wanted to point that out. You're in a position now where the downsides of managing the faction are more in-your-face than the upsides.

As for quarter-locks, no one wants their stuff stolen. Having some mystery person come in and take your things while you're not around is not fun in anyway for the person being stolen from. Most thieves don't leave a note, an offer to buy your stuff back, or any opportunity for RP. So it's a really one-sided thing.

A formal Thieves Guild, like the Assassin's Guild that gives some kind of benefit to it's members might be fun. Perhaps more houses and structures (not player owned) that can be broken into by Guild members only could exist and have stored within in it something worth obtaining. Some rare ingredients would be good. Within a dungeon there could be a door to unlock with better spawn and XP, maybe another boss and another chest. This would offer more incentive to having a Theives Guild member in your party, if your morals allowed for such a thing.