Andunor Slave Pit Cage Fights

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Penwize

Andunor Slave Pit Cage Fights

Post by Penwize » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:12 am

Recently Prince of all Thayans put up a post in the Suggestion Box about the cage fights. It touched briefly on the rewards, restrictions and consequences of the pit fighting arena. I wanted to add my own two cents concerning the matter as someone who plays exclusively with an Andunoran character. Offer a local's view of it IC and OOC as well as make a suggestion for how things might be improved.

World information follows so shield your eyes if you're super into discovering the splendid wonders of Andunor for yourself.

For those who are still reading and somehow unaware, Andunor has an area devoted to slave keeping, taming, housing, and selling. In the area is the infamous Andunor cage fighting arena where a character can earn money fighting caged slaves or betting on the fights of others. There's ten fights, each increasing with difficulty and stakes but if you win you get some pretty awesome rewards. Unique rewards that can't be obtained anywhere else and translate directly to prestige of winning the fights. It's a cool detail, an attractive way for characters to prove themselves, and great way for others to make money watching. Nice job designers.

The obstacles.

Interestingly there are snags. As above, the rewards can't be obtained anywhere else; characters have no choice but to earn them by going to the underdark and into the designated city of evil, monsters, and slavery. Which can really be hampered by things like alignment or enemy status (Not really but we'll get to that soon). Makes it difficult or distasteful for many characters to access this content. If these factors are ignored or casually bypassed though it can hurt the roleplay of others playing nearby.

Good characters who see the arena will understand (unless their Wisdom score is like 6 or something) that participating means murdering slaves for money. That the slaves in question are essentially doomed to an existence where they are perpetually killed and resurrected for the entertainment of Andunor. When that entertainment isn't wanted they live publicly exposed in a 5'x5' cage under the sadistic eye of the arena master. Those good characters will understand that if they want even a single one of their ten links of victory they're going to have to become professional slave executioners. To willingly play a part in the eternal suffering of miserable souls sentenced to that awful fate by the city of evil.

The other part of the difficulty is location. Andunor's a tough place right? The city of evil, ruled by to rather aloof drow houses and filled with all manner of wicked beasties. One does not simply walk into Andunor. Spies are hunted for and surfacer lambs are captured and enslaved. Your holy symbol of Tyr is best hidden away in a pocket. If someone isn't welcome in the city, makes it difficult to go there and get those fights done even if they're okay with the part with murdering slaves.

But...

Those two big factors are easily bypassed, ignored. With little to no consequences.

There's no alignment check for the cage matches. No shift towards evil when you participate in or complete matches. This is partly because there's a very prominent Find Out In Game reason for particular good-aligned characters to compete but it also serves as a convenient blind eye for good or neutral aligned characters to participate without consequences. The arena master won't stop them. The Peacekeepers won't stop them. There's no dialogue or warnings for the situation. If nobody sees you go, nobody can give you crap about it right? Besides it's all about sticking it to Andunor isn't it? Murdering slaves isn't the point.

The difficulty of getting to the little arena also happens to be an easily bypassed one. One actually does simply walk into Andunor. Despite (or because of ) the fact that Andunor just isn't defensible there's nobody to patrol the wet city, no players rabidly watching the combat scroll to scry on random logging-on surfacers who're probably just going to Cordor. Andunor itself is extremely centralized which means that no players are going to be "just walking by" the arena when it's two long area transitions away from the hub and not on the way to anywhere populated. Even beyond that there are two non-restricted planar portal destinations within the city (think about that) and one is practically adjacent to the arena. With most underdarker players reflexively teleporting to the Hub it can actually be waaay faster for surfacers with the attunement to get to the cage fights than actual citizens. If you log on during low-activity hours? There's no way anybody's going to notice your fights.

Combine the two above details and you get surface characters who see the opening and are tempted to breach their own characters' morals and behaviors to snag the rewards. Good aligned citizens of Cordor, mayors of hin villages, Frostblades, all feeling confident enough to hustle on down and participate in fights. In some cases the characters gained their portal attunements during large raids and were responsible for the deaths and destruction of Andunoran PC's, NPC's, fixtures, and resources. Raid one day, duck in and make a tidy profit at the arena the next. The mechanics of the server won't punish you. The NPCs that you murdered won't bother you because they aren't programmed to. It's the perfect crime. Beyond town criers announcing the deed, what's done is done. If you want to keep it a secret don't tell anyone about your visit and don't add the (in)famous consequences to your character description.

Why that's a problem.

In-Character participation in the Andunor cage matches is evil, one way or another. It's a unique blood sport sanctioned solely by the city of evil, a never-ending humiliating death sentence for the slaves that are trapped there. Participating for money, fame, magical items, the mysterious FOIG reasons, or just to give Andunor a middle finger all means your character is perpetuating a someone else's private hell for your own profit. This should be an important factor in any character's involvement but it isn't implemented at all. Yes characters can roleplay uncertainty or regret after participating. Yes characters can react with horror upon seeing someone else holding a champion's ten links. But character's don't. There's no reason to, no culture for it.

This easily turns into Out-Of-Character frustration for players who perceive the above as metagaming and betrayal of a character's true nature. If the mayor of Bendir can waltz into Andunor (mere days after destroying half of the Sharps district), go ten-for-ten in the arena, and then make her way back up to her quiet peaceful village like nothing happened then what's keeping our underdark characters from doing similar opposite things (Hint: the fact that there aren't un-secured planar portals in any other settlement borders)? We're supposed to be the evil ones. What's even the point of playing in Andunor if we could just start somewhere else and do all of the same things and still be allowed on the surface? Then that frustration comes out in negative ways that impacts player fun and immersion. It's not fair to anyone involved - not to the underdark players who feel cheated and marginalized, not to the mayor of Bendir's player who knows that the only way to get those rewards is by applying metagaming, and not to anyone whose characters interact with said mayor and have trouble doing so now that they know that the tiny wolf mum is also a Champion of Andunor and professional slave murderer (and wears the chains to prove it).

Suggestions(finally).

There's a few different actions that maybe could be taken and here's a few suggestions! I don't know Arelith mechanics super well and this is spitballing but hopefully it inspires some change that improves the community.
  • Alignment Review: Have a DM alter a participating character's alignment one step towards evil unless some obvious factor would call for an exception. Like the aforementioned Wisdom score of 6.
  • Restrict Participants by Citizenship: It's possible to restrict other things by citizenship, why not this? It would be a major barrier to fly-by-night gladiators without setting a hard no to anyone, not even by race or alignment. If a character is a citizen of the Devils Table or the Sharps then they ought to be known to the cagemaster and allowed to participate.
  • Restrict Participants by Alignment: Prince of all Thayans' suggestion. It would take a truly dense individual to not realize if cage fights don't fit your religious dogma. Nip the problem in the bud right there and keep good-aligned characters from being able to participate. Not my favorite option but here it is!
  • A New Arena: Another not-favorite option would be the creation of some similar opportunity designed so that surfacers could access it and receive similar rewards. It'll take away some of the already small exclusivity that is underdark roleplay, fail to answer the question "what's the point?" and certainly won't keep characters from just doing both, but there's an idea.
  • Add Unrestricted Planar Portals to Surface Settlements: Okay I admit this isn't something that'll bring joy and happiness and it moves in the opposite direction that the previous bullet point would. But hey - Andunor's got exclusive things that surfacers use and exploit. Turnabout might be fair play if a leyline destination is added to a quiet disused corner within the walls of Brogestein or Cordor or some other surface settlement. Seriously. Anyone can just instantly travel to Andunor any time they want. With all their combat-warded friends. Straight from both the C&P and Surface servers. How is that fair? Imagine a drow war party doing that to Cordor. There'd be a riot.
  • Remove Unrestricted Portal Destinations from Andunor: The opposite and more reasonable suggestion of the above bullet point. Seems odd but Andunor has newbies too. There's even a low-level dungeon adjacent to the cage arena where they go to hunt. Seriously. Anyone can just instantly travel to Andunor any time they want. With all their combat-warded friends. Straight from both the C&P and Surface servers. How is that fair? Imagine a drow war party doing that to Cordor. There'd be a riot.

Nitro

Re: Andunor Slave Pit Cage Fights

Post by Nitro » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 am

Alignment Review: Have a DM alter a participating character's alignment one step towards evil unless some obvious factor would call for an exception. Like the aforementioned Wisdom score of 6.
Having low WIS is no protection from having your alignment changed in D&D. Doing evil deeds, whether you are aware they are evil or not is enough.
Restrict Participants by Citizenship: It's possible to restrict other things by citizenship, why not this? It would be a major barrier to fly-by-night gladiators without setting a hard no to anyone, not even by race or alignment. If a character is a citizen of the Devils Table or the Sharps then they ought to be known to the cagemaster and allowed to participate.
I'd add slaves to an exception here, as they are not allowed citizenship but are often made to fight at their masters whim.

The simplest solution however, would be to remove the reward item from the 10th fight so good people don't have to go down to Andunor to get the one-of-a-kind item that is the most powerful in the module. Either that or make a surface equivalent (Like actually using the Cordor arena for something) so they have no need to go to Andunor for it.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:10 pm

I honestly don't see what's such a big deal. If good aligned paladins are strolling through Andunor to fight the Beast, report.

Rigela

Post by Rigela » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:59 pm

All these so called "good" people do get their names shouted out around the city by the town criers, so enterprising people could likely do something with this information, I imagine.

Doesn't stop people coming down to do it however, and they will keep doing so when the reward is as good as it is. The real solution is to add something on the surface in some manner. Likely Cordor, seeing as it has an arena (that might already have fights you can do, not entirely sure) and isn't involved in slavery like Sibayad is. Have the final fight be some eldritch horror a mage summons or something maybe, the rest being "honourable" fights not to the death or random willing gladiators.
Isabella Isherwood - Priestess of Selune
Piper Barley - Joybringer of Lliira

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:52 pm

They should just add a 'check', bar non-locals from being able to do it.

and then add a surface version.

das ende
🤡

Bryce Silver-Wind

Post by Bryce Silver-Wind » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Red Ropes wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:52 pm
They should just add a 'check', bar non-locals from being able to do it.

das ende
Slaves being the exceptions.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Red Ropes wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:52 pm
Tbh, just doing this alone would mitigate much of the problem.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Lunargent

Post by Lunargent » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Ork wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:10 pm
I honestly don't see what's such a big deal. If good aligned paladins are strolling through Andunor to fight the Beast, report.
It's cruel to kill slaves, who are then raised only to fight again, for sport and your own profit. That's why it's evil.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:03 pm

Lunargent wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:00 pm
Ork wrote:
It's cruel to kill slaves, who are then raised only to fight again, for sport and your own profit. That's why it's evil.
Right, I'm not arguing with that. I'm arguing with the need to enforce that mechanically.

Lunargent

Post by Lunargent » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Ork wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:03 pm
Lunargent wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:00 pm
Ork wrote:
Right, I'm not arguing with that. I'm arguing with the need to enforce that mechanically.
Oh yes, sorry about that. As far as I know, such reports are commonplace, but in my experience it's done little to stem the flow of surfacers to the cage since, if any admonishments have been issued, they have been OOC and private (and thus easy to ignore IC). Having a mechanical restriction with an IC reasoning would be less easy to ignore.

Beard Master Flex

Post by Beard Master Flex » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:17 pm

I don’t really see what the big deal is.

The cage matches are a huge source of RP for everyone, regardless of their alignment or where they’re from.

I’ve seen upstart locals compete as well as surfacers that come down to drum up spectacle for a fight like it was the UFC. I’ve also seen some of those fights get sabotaged by locals and all kinds of exciting shenanigans that wouldn’t exist if the system wasn’t in place. Sure it might not happen all the time; but if people are missing out on greater RP just to make a few gp that’s their loss imo.

I also feel the greater morality at stake is sort of nonissue - sure they’re slaves but the fighters are pretty much all unrepentant evil monsters start to finish.

wheat wharf

Post by wheat wharf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:29 pm

Cordor has a really big arena. Changing the current lackluster Gladiator fights for ten similar fights like in Andunor's slave pits would be, imo, the best way to handle this. The difference would be that these new gladiators are willing warriors, not slaves! It'd still be a complicated affair for paladins and other do-gooders, so maybe Gladiators couldn't die, but instead, just get knocked out at the end of the fight.

And of course, block the Andunor fights to UDers, and block the Cordor fights to Surfacers. To avoid having old surface characters who already defeated the Beast reaping the rewards of the Cordor fights too, block everyone with the ten links chain from fighting. Just let the arena master dude say "Hey, fella, ya got them ten links already, ya too good fer muh arena!".

This is the moment when all hug each others, let's.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Sibayad's arena (and slave culture) could also make it a potential spot for surface fights.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

wheat wharf

Post by wheat wharf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:21 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:57 pm
Sibayad's arena (and slave culture) could also make it a potential spot for surface fights.
I still think that Cordor is a better place for it, simply because it'd allow more good characters to take part in the fights, and Sibayad, imo, is a "softer Andunor" and therefore it wouldn't solve the problems mentioned in this thread. Not that Sibayad can't have its own pit fights, far from it! Maybe we could have a ten fight system for every arena, including wizardry ones in the Arcane Tower. I may have derailed a bit here.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:33 pm

wheat wharf wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:21 pm
Baron Saturday wrote:
I still think that Cordor is a better place for it, simply because it'd allow more good characters to take part in the fights, and Sibayad, imo, is a "softer Andunor" and therefore it wouldn't solve the problems mentioned in this thread. Not that Sibayad can't have its own pit fights, far from it! Maybe we could have a ten fight system for every arena, including wizardry ones in the Arcane Tower. I may have derailed a bit here.
Derailed or not, I think a caster version of one of these would be really cool. I’ve never tried the cage fights myself so I don’t really know actually how difficult they are and I don’t know if a wizard can complete them all. Regardless of whether they could, it would be much cooler and more thematic to have wizards dueling it out for supremacy.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:35 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:
Part of the issue is a lack something which provides similar risk/reward, but for good aligned characters. Tying it into a slavekeeping culture would do nothing to solve the problem of there being no means for good characters to do something which... You get it.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:48 am

So the reward can be seen to justify not to role play your character?

So because the cage fights offer a good item, we can ignore our aligment and just for "sake of rp it generates by cage" be happy? Why to bother with aligemnts at all, lets cancell it. Why put any restrictions after all (if we accept that attitude). Lets pick BG lvls along with paladin levels on single character. Who cares, it generates rp! :?

This thing should be adressed in both, from mechanical point of view, and from IG perspective. PEople who také part in it should face great deal of upset locals in their homes. Unless you are from Merchant city of Cordor :lol:

ALSO i really do not understand why cordorian arena is left idle. There could be regular mechanical tournaments. Once in time it taking place with characters taking fight to different NPC enemies. And no need it to be fought to death.

And aside question, why is even cage fight giving an item? Just put money award.

Edit: Enforce clear dispel on anyone entering the cage. The area is NO MAGIC for a purpose, and going off to get buffed up to hells to run into cage is abusing the systém. Enforce full dispell on people entering the cage (but remove no magic area from area itself) to prevent this abuse. The number of success in cage will drop rapidly down and winning it will mean true accomplisment (making the item rather rare).

Sintarius

Post by Sintarius » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:17 pm

Basically the same thing should be made on Surface, this would end the discussion, it does seem stupid that the "Ultimate" Reward is a UD thing only?
Of course some will seek the reward to even out balance of things..

Make the same thing in Cordor as many already suggested..

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:58 pm

If you make a separate but equal version in Cordor, you would need to add alignment restrictions to the Andunor Cage Fight to prevent team good from doing both.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:51 pm

Or just make it so that if you get the reward from one, you can't do the other.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:48 pm

I'm not sure an alignment check is such a good idea. It could be used to 'out' goodly aligned medium award monsters, which isn't really fair on them.

I think Red Ropes had it right - make it so only monster races, Outcasts, and Slaves can use the arena. Maybe also make it so that Prisoners can use it too. DMs might have to keep half an eye on that - but it should help none the less, or at least make the 'abuse' of it far more blatent.

Making there be a surface aligned version - (and adding in an option wherein one can do one or the other- as soon as you have a chain in say, the Andunor match, you can't have a medal in the surface match) is also an interesting idea.

Lunargent

Post by Lunargent » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:34 am

Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:35 pm
Baron Saturday wrote:
Part of the issue is a lack something which provides similar risk/reward, but for good aligned characters. Tying it into a slavekeeping culture would do nothing to solve the problem of there being no means for good characters to do something which... You get it.
It's almost as if profiting off of blood sport isn't a good aligned action, no matter what.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:27 pm

Penwize wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:12 am
[wall of text]

Combine the two above details and you get surface characters who see the opening and are tempted to breach their own characters' morals and behaviors to snag the rewards. Good aligned citizens of Cordor, mayors of hin villages, Frostblades, all feeling confident enough to hustle on down and participate in fights. In some cases the characters gained their portal attunements during large raids and were responsible for the deaths and destruction of Andunoran PC's, NPC's, fixtures, and resources. Raid one day, duck in and make a tidy profit at the arena the next. The mechanics of the server won't punish you. The NPCs that you murdered won't bother you because they aren't programmed to. It's the perfect crime. Beyond town criers announcing the deed, what's done is done. If you want to keep it a secret don't tell anyone about your visit and don't add the (in)famous consequences to your character description.

[more wall of text]

This easily turns into Out-Of-Character frustration for players who perceive the above as metagaming and betrayal of a character's true nature. If the mayor of Bendir can waltz into Andunor (mere days after destroying half of the Sharps district), go ten-for-ten in the arena, and then make her way back up to her quiet peaceful village like nothing happened then what's keeping our underdark characters from doing similar opposite things (Hint: the fact that there aren't un-secured planar portals in any other settlement borders)? We're supposed to be the evil ones. What's even the point of playing in Andunor if we could just start somewhere else and do all of the same things and still be allowed on the surface? Then that frustration comes out in negative ways that impacts player fun and immersion. It's not fair to anyone involved - not to the underdark players who feel cheated and marginalized, not to the mayor of Bendir's player who knows that the only way to get those rewards is by applying metagaming, and not to anyone whose characters interact with said mayor and have trouble doing so now that they know that the tiny wolf mum is also a Champion of Andunor and professional slave murderer (and wears the chains to prove it).

[even more wall of text]
As an aside to the OP - while your opinions are valid, it is really not cool to callout and try to publicly shame other players. You do not know about their characters, their reasoning, or the IC consequences for their actions and to say people are metagaming because you disagree with something they've done in character is outright mean spirited. Before you post, think of how you would feel if someone else posted such about you or the Dustwroughts - if someone declared that you were metagaming because they disagreed with something you've done in character.

If you believe someone is not playing fairly then report it - don't try to shame.

As an aside, there are plenty of open portals near surface settlements that raids start from on a regular basis - stonehold/minmir near Myon/Brog, Skull crags near Guld, brambles near Cordor, trader's route near Bendir/tower. Andunor is not the sole place of evil on the server, you -are- allowed to play evil and be on the surface (for example Banites). The point of playing in Andunor isn't to 'be the evil ones', and there is plenty of point of playing in Andunor even if evil/non-good characters can start on the surface - as over a decade of people playing down there shows.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Curlydevil

Post by Curlydevil » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:38 pm

I can see the point here, it seems that you don't like people from the surface raiding the UD and that there are people coming down to take on the cage fights whom you feel was wrong to do so for your reasons and then proceed to try and identify them for this, doing so is essentially telling them your RP is wrong fit into my view of it. This may be viewed as wrong however here goes:

A: Its in an out of the way location so there is that, its no where near the hub. So not a lot of people go there to watch the fights.

B: That the IG very good rewards for winning the fights should exist only for the UD players to take advantage of locking anyone from the surface out from going there. (This is essentially locking RP down in my view as a player can never attempt to go outside the mechanical bounds of the character grow and change into something new I.E the suggested player could have had valid reason in their RP to go down. To call them out here for it is bad taste IMO)

C: The suggestion of locking it would need a balance to it thus a similar pit that no UD race, slave or someone clamped could even try and use (Again locking down RP to a predetermined view of how they have to act based on X, I.E A Paladin can't have a bad day and slap a drunk wench in a bar for trying to kiss them... as that isn't something a lawful good person would do right?)

While I don't have any idea for a solution to the issues you have tried to point out I would try and suggest:

A: Trying to consider why would someones character want to do something. Someone comes to your city a week after raiding it. So are the A: Looking for trouble (from their characters perspective) B: Are the potentially trying to spy and see how repair efforts are going C: Maybe they came down to do some shopping / or cage fighting in hopes that the city is distracted enough not to notice them

B: Of all your suggestions all of them are in the form of locking down the cage, or opening stuff that was previously locked down for a plethora of other reason. Is there something you might be able to suggest that doesn't involve totally locking people out based on X and Y

C: In the terms of raids... its easy for the player to get just as annoyed as the character might be (We all do it) but this is part of the game as well. The UD tend to raid a little more than the surface but it doesn't mean that just because there was a raid there must be over x amount of hours no RP ... there are some rules in place for PVP as well but that doesn't acutally lock out RP

I guess my main point is I'd love to see suggestions here that don't name, identify or berate other players or lock out RP. As mentioned by other players if you feel something is done wrong and against the rules just talk to the Admin team they are really nice people with the power of gods :)

flower

Post by flower » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:03 pm

We should not seek for excuses why our good dudes can do it just to get a good item.

And UD players should not have a feeling that item is supposed for them purely.

The main isue here is the award. Too powerful item, allowed to be gained via mechical abuse (going in warded in area supposed to forbidden all magic).

Remove the item. Replace it with only token of prestige and gold. And issue will be sorted even without alternative cage on surface. Why is such item even put into the game like that, should be the main question here.