Brogdenstein for Beginners

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

RedGiant

Brogdenstein for Beginners

Post by RedGiant » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Noticing a problem in Brog for starting characters. The writs start with only two possibilities...sea caves and xvarts. The problem is, after like five times trying, I cannot literally get any of these creatures to spawn on a lvl 3.

Is this just me? Bad timing? Or is this a genuine problem?

I just tried it after a reset too, so...
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Bryce Silver-Wind

Re: Brogdenstein for Beginners

Post by Bryce Silver-Wind » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Try the rats for a little while, they are in the barn structure near the grotto entry.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Spawned six rats...for 4 xp a piece on an ECL 3.

I'm thinking Brog need some starting area love. Even the standard rat schtick is well inferior to the Spider's Web or the two rat infested ships of Cordor.

Bryce Silver-Wind

Post by Bryce Silver-Wind » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:36 pm

RedGiant wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:57 pm
Spawned six rats...for 4 xp a piece on an ECL 3.

I'm thinking Brog need some starting area love. Even the standard rat schtick is well inferior to the Spider's Web or the two rat infested ships of Cordor.
I do agree that it could use some starter area love.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:04 am

Hrm...after playing it a better part of a day...and still not making level 4...a couple of thoughts.

Found repeated epic characters in the littorals to mine salt. While at least they spawned baddies, one cannot party due to writ restrictions. Maybe move salt just outside the exit on the seaboard side?

Also, descended to the Xvarts where I finally was able to get them to spawn...and was one-shotted by the POWER attack Scourge Queen. This on a gift of con warrior.

Brog is definitely hard mode at current.

Moreover, dying sends you to A) the Arcane Tower or B) (if you die in Xvarts) Cordor farmlands...which immediately put me in battle with a flotilla of wraiths, nearly inducing a second death scene.

Regionals

Post by Regionals » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:26 am

There really, really ought to be a low level writ to clear the mill of rats.

You had bad luck with xvarts. I've never had trouble with them spawning on the way too many gnomes and dwarves I've played. For some classes they're very easy (especially if you can summon) and some characters not so much (fighters.) Also FOIG the best way to do it but there's more than one way down there.

You should probably also set a Brog respawn point ASAP since as you saw it's not default.

Starting in Earthkin world really does demand you either know what you're doing and where all the secrets are, or that you're willing to ask for help because it's not exactly intuitive. Still, once you get going it's a great place for low levels to be based out from maybe levels 5 on up. I do think there is (or at least was) a warning that does suggest it's "expert mode" which is probably fine, Cordor is always right there (and just a boat ride away.)

Rooshi49

Post by Rooshi49 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:29 am

I actually think the xvarts are the BEST place to start leveling up. Also its so satisfying hearing them die because the voice lines are so hilarious. The chests in the xvart caves are also one of the best in the early game that I know of. I've found most of the best non-runic chest items there that I've ever found in all of Arelith even after years of playing.

Drakkenstien

Post by Drakkenstien » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:42 am

Problem with the cave is partially due to the fact that there's a mid-level writ from the Crow's Nest for harpies, and the fastest way to get there from the boat is... you guessed it, through the caves. That's probably one of the more popular writs, as well.

Brog does need some love if it's to remain a serious contender for starting area.

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:23 am

I had no problem leveling my second dwarf there, but like people have said it's meant for more experienced players.

I do kinda remember there being a rat writ, as well as crypts one... I used that one since rats were too easy on a level 3.

Regionals

Post by Regionals » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:23 pm

Freyason wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:23 am
I had no problem leveling my second dwarf there, but like people have said it's meant for more experienced players.

I do kinda remember there being a rat writ, as well as crypts one... I used that one since rats were too easy on a level 3.
You can turn in rat tails for 5 gp/xp, pre-writ system style, but there's not a writ from the quest giver. Since there is a writ on Skal with a duplicate of the mill full of rats I think that could be added to Brog if anyone's ever looking at tweaking the earthkin quests.

All told though I don't think Brog (and associated areas) is bad at all for leveling. If you know the area you can level quite quickly, and there's enough traffic to find someone to help if you need it. I actually have a really hard time in Cordor now that I'm so used to Brog and Anundor. Not because of difficulty but because the latter seem so much more streamlined and convenient and Cordor can take forever to get around and do errands.