Repairing Gear and Player Shops in general

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Dirac

Re: Repairing Gear and Player Shops in general

Post by Dirac » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:40 pm

WanderingPoet wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:28 pm
There is plenty of incentive to make repair kits as a tailor, they're not for repairing your own gear!
Where's your shop at bro! I got "easy" money for you!

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:48 pm

ReverentBlade wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:54 pm
Let me phrase it another way. There is no incentive to make repair kits as a tailor. I can repair my own gear without them.

Since I have to source metal from another character (or run around looking through shops), they aren't quick to make. They take time and inconvenience. Time is money. By the time I've done all the boring RP of sourcing metal (and I find crafting RP to be the most boring kind of RP in existence), I could have done -several- laps of a mid-high level dungeon and made a few 10ks of gold.

To represent the value of my time, repair kits in my shop would be priced so high that no one would want to buy them. They are not an economically smart item to produce.
Out of curiosity:

What do you think would be a fair price for a tailoring Kit? What would you be willing to buy one at? And given the current requirements, what would you be willing to sell them for?

This is an open question to anyone on this thread, btw. I'm just curious really.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Bryce Silver-Wind

Post by Bryce Silver-Wind » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Honestly when I made them, I sold them around 2k per repair, so a set of 5 would be 10k, but its painstaking and annoying to make them.

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Just bought them for 1K a charge, I've found them at 800 before. It's no issue for my rich mage, but the Ranger carpenter found it hard to keep up repairs without going broke for the first many levels.

My tailor is dex based Hin, so lugging ingots is not going to happen. If I can find bronze, it's usually 500/ingot, and then 16 Cotton and 16 points - I'm certainly not making those in bulk for 5K, though I'd be happy to knock a few out if someone else provided the mats. Now if the recipe changed so tailors and carpenters didn't need a smith... ;)

It would be good if the NPC tailors sold all them for a bit above the going rate. Downside newbie gear breaks so fast, they are the ones that really need the kits. Same issue for forge kits, but since all smiths carry ore, those are vastly more common in shops.

Why is there no Surface tinker?
~~~~~~
Badger
Wynn
RIP: Paddy

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 am

800-1000 is what I would charge, 1k at max. 2k is highway robbery.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:39 am

A fair price is what the market dictates. (I used to sell mine for like, 2.5k for the five stack tho)
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:44 am

Dirac wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:40 pm
WanderingPoet wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:28 pm
There is plenty of incentive to make repair kits as a tailor, they're not for repairing your own gear!
Where's your shop at bro! I got "easy" money for you!
Sorry, sold the shop several months ago! When I used to sell tailoring kits the price varied between 1000-1500, depending on how fast they sold. I've seen them sell quickly at 2000 each too.

As an aside - 1 point in tailoring will let you repair your own things up until you start getting epic gear - but then money is so easy to get that paying a few thousand to repair everything occasionally shouldn't be too hard. As someone said earlier they can make a few 10ks of gold in a mid-high level dungeon in a short amount of time, so unless you're spending all the gold earned on kits, then you should be able to afford the occasional repair kit.

That said, I do seem to be lucky when it comes to damaged gear (on all my characters), I only ever have to repair my gear every 2-3 months or even longer, while I know someone that lost 5 points in a single trip - so results may vary.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.