Skaldjard Conversation

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

TimeAdept

Re: Skaldjard Conversation

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:03 am

Please do not make Skal the mandatory starting location.
Strikes me as a profoundly bad idea. Skaljard is a very unpopular starting location among veteran players. The XP to difficulty ratio is worse than any other starting location on the server. There's a lack of vendors selling goods, there's no high level players to provide essential services like enchanting, mundane crafting, magical crafting and long-term plots/factions to get involved with right off the boat. Not to mention that once you start there you might be stuck for several IC months which if it coincides with you reaching the level cap of the isle, sucks some major snugglewuggle.

If Skaljard was to be a unified starting area for all surface characters, it would pretty much have to be reworked to be Cordor 2.0.
Yep.

Nevrus
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Nevrus » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:12 am

Let's identify the core problems being brought up in all this:
1. Skal wants to exist without external political manipulation.
2. People going to Skal to cause trouble at high levels.
3. People hating being trapped.
4. People want access to the services of high levels but without being beholden to them.

So, here's my solution to all of this:
1. Skal has an entire region, the southern hill, that doesn't currently exist. We make this region exist, and be epic-tuned.
2. We put the destination for trips to Skal in this region, in a small outpost, instead of right next to Skaljard.
3. We let people leave whenever they want to.
4. We put up a wall between the southern hill and Skaljard/the rest of the island, and require that characters start on Skaljard and hit level 15 WITHOUT LEAVING to be allowed through... Either way.

What this does:
Adds more high-level content to Skal to make it more fun.
Stops Arelith's people from rolling in to wreck up/conquer/etc unless a DM lets them through on business.
Encourages people who want to interact with Skal in the future to start there, and lets those that go through the 'initiation' act as traders between Arelith and Skal, or at least come back to visit.
Adds a place in Skal for Arelith people to do things that's completely isolated from Skaljard, and allows high-level Skaljardians to join in if they want.
Lets people who want to leave, leave whenever they want. We can make trips there only happen during summer months.

What this will require:
More building
Finding a way to make Skal vets be flagged for getting through the gate post-facto
Track that people started in Skal, likely with a plot token, and a way to get a second token for gate-passing
Implement a new boat destination
Mess with the harbormaster conversation to remove date checks for leaving

Thoughts, Mr. Gron?
Ganus- Riding the Isle (Active)
Aura Bigstep - Got Out Ahead (Retired)
Egos Ironhide - Shelved
Consult a medical professional before believing anything Nevrus says.

sad_zav

Post by sad_zav » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:46 am

what's to stop someone levelling up in skal just to come back later and start a mess?

i don't see why skal needs this layer of protection. There's "noob friendly" then there's developing poor habits and expectations
Currently plays Peregrine Gwil and Rick Snyder.

Formerly played Mel Aran, Antoine Moreau, and Zanril.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:33 am

Was gonna write a few text walls, but I'm just going to trim them all down this time, I have like 3 drafts saved up and got no idea where I'm going with those. :oops:

1. Add the aforementioned suggestions to Skaljard:
i. boards and posts to show new players about the etiquettes of sheathing their weapons and don't run around and what not
ii. expand merchants slightly to allow selling scrolls in bulk as well as some arms and weaponry such as bastard sword, dwarven war axe, and trident.
iii. Readjust some of the early spawns to be slightly less difficult, especially the hidden or the poisonous ones
iv. Set up a few on-island-only speedy services as well as few portals to teach the new player base and provide relief to travel fatigue.

2. As suggested by Nevrus: Expand the Southern parts of Skaljard into epic dungeon crawling environment.

3. No restriction on who can go where! Since there is now an incentive for epics to come, I suppose the good, neutral, and evil folks will either work things out or kill each other, a weird sort of balance will be achieved... (I hope? Wishful thinking, maybe?) This might need more discussion on.

4. Expand Skaljard's apartments and lodges without providing any settlement mechanic or faction-sized houses (Except for the two houses in Skaljard). This is to discourage anything major from setting roots in Skaljard without some kind of hassle. No faction housing, no settlement mechanic to eject unwanted tenants or political rivalries (unless DM intervention)

5. Find a way to restrict easy access to Skal, make it you are either here to stay or leave. Allow players to come and go at almost any time, but make the travel only available via boats, no teleportation, lensing, or -yoinking. The travel time for epic characters from boats will be an hour and twelve minutes or two hours and a half (An IG day or half), leaving is the same deal. Allow Skaljard a functioning port like Cordor, Sibayad, and Sencliff.

The boats are not allowed to enter or leave during heavy winter times (Months 12-3), this is an equivalent of around 9 to 10 RL days, so players have to make a weighted decision still, but not as inconsistent as things are now.
Last edited by Kenji on Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cOgnaut

Post by cOgnaut » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi, I'm rather new here, so I don't mean to butt in, but I wanted to bring this to people's attention because it looks like an oversight.

The Entry Door to Skaljard has the following text:
Entry Door
This is an action and adventure oriented start suitable to players new to roleplay or Neverwinter Nights.
I've always thought that text was somewhat incongruous to other posts I've seen on the topic, especially here in this thread. And today, on the Skaljard forum in Discord, Kenji mentioned that:
Before the Skaljard conversation, the screenshot [see attached image] and the Skal option had a giant OOC text indicating that new players should start on Skal are there
After that, they removed the ((indicator)), but didn't bother to change the description since I guess they weren't aware of it
And now, Irongron has a forum post somewhere indicating his focus is on both Myon and Guldorand right now, or will be, after he and ActionReplay are done with working on a premium module for NWN EE
So I imagine Skal isn't exactly on his priority list. Changing those texts is but a treatment to a minor symptom, not the root of the problem if the design
So I wonder if it would be possible to change the text on the Entry Door.

I think saying Skal is explicitly for people who are new to roleplay has a tendency to make all players see Skal as a "RP-lite" server. Changing this text might be a small change, but I think it could make a difference in helping to discourage meta/OOC players, and possibly even griefing.

Thanks!

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:18 pm

How to improve Skal?

Add surface goblins and other monsters there like gnolls!

Give them their own hidden small camp and frozen cave passage they can use to get into Andunor later at summer when ice has melted.
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:59 pm

So I have a character from arelith that migrated TO skal because she was persona non grata on the mainland.

So my two cents, and they aren't going to be about the area design, or the monsters. Those topics have been beaten to death already:

Lack of political engagement:
There is no government on skal, and there also appears to be virtually no quarters as well. This is a blessing and a curse, in that storage for low strength characters is nonexistant, but the lack of available anchors kind of keeps epic goodies and baddies from setting up a base locally and killing whatever ideology opposes them. This is literally why my character came to skal in the first place, because she was going to be murdered if she stayed in cordor.

There DOES appear to be a sort of pseudo government among the longtimers there, and the island has a resident dragon PC or two that seem to (somewhat)keep the peace.

Suggestion: It might not be a terrible idea to build a keep in skal(with a function similar to one of the Andunor district houses) but limit it somehow to local PCs so that people from the mainland can't take it over. Maybe via a series of tasks completable only by being within the level ranges for writs in order to get citizenship to run or get elected. This would, at least in theory, ensure that only skaljard locals participate in their own government, or full time immigrant lowbies from the mainland. It would also provide an opportunity to introduce the new people there to the government systems inherent to the rest of the server. Additionally, I'd posit that citizens of skal should get 3 slots of storage there, simply because the lack of storage is stifling.

Alternatively, people from skal could get some kind of highly visible woad markings that would render them eligable to government and building ownership in skal (a la the sencliff pirate marks) that would wear off if they ever bought citizenship in any other settlement. The highly visible nature of these marks could foster RP and change how these PCs are dealt with elsewhere, as they would scream "I'm from skal, my culture is different" and signal to players that this person is from skal, and might be dealing with culture shock.

Mercantile:
Currently, skal is actually ripe for merchants. There is no adamantine on the island, and while resources are plentiful, there is nowhere to store them. I would actually love to see something rare and valuable on skal worth exporting to arelith, as aside from raw quantity, the island has little to offer.

Suggestion: Give skal something unique to offer from a goods standpoint. It could be as simple as the nomad's imported drink selection, but hopefully not redundant, to foster more mercantile import-export RP (like a salted fish that restores 75% of hunger in one go, or Skaljardish winterberry wine that functions like a temporary 5/ cold resistance essence).

Additionally/alternatively, it might not be a bad idea to give Skal a player owned ship. It takes a VERY long time to get between skal and the mainland, and some locations (kohlingen, for example) are well within the level range for skaljard PCs. Some additional seafaring locations specific to skal, would also be a good idea. This would introduce the locals to the ship systems of the mainland.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:12 am

Durvayas wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:59 pm
I would actually love to see something rare and valuable on skal worth exporting to arelith, as aside from raw quantity, the island has little to offer.

Suggestion: Give skal something unique to offer from a goods standpoint. It could be as simple as the nomad's imported drink selection, but hopefully not redundant, to foster more mercantile import-export RP (like a salted fish that restores 75% of hunger in one go, or Skaljardish winterberry wine that functions like a temporary 5/ cold resistance essence).
something unique to skal would be dope and i'd go as far as making it more valuable than just something that hit the hunger system or whatever. i've nothing that comes to mind and i'm not overfamiliar with what the place actually has, but i'm always a proponent of encouraging import/export RP (something sadly lost from the UD when merchant prices were standardised and temp essences made prolific)

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:22 am

You could just straight yoink some sort of magic ice-craft metal (or whatever) that can only be harvested from perma-frozen glaciers of the far north, and it makes armor or weapons or jewelry with inherent cold resist or cold damage or something.

i dunno

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:04 am

I've been having fun going to Skal to give new players useful equipment, wards before adventures, IC advice and sometimes answering OOC questions through PMs too. Just to help ease people into the setting and expectations of the server setting without being overzealous or hostile about it. It's a fun town with a really nice feel to it, when everyone is being in-character and stuff. Some of the areas are really pretty and there's lots of little touches hidden about that are very cool!

I wouldn't want to see a mechanic that prevents people from going over and and helping, but I think it might be worth having a DM or two really focus on Skal. I'm always a fan of fixing things through IC/in-lore actions, so that immersion isn't broken.

For example making the whole area off-limits to high levels, or simply a no-PvP area would be something I'd protest against strongly, but having a DM float about that encourages the right type of atmosphere through story or private chats if needed is a gentler touch that doesn't make it feel RP-lite.

I know it's a lot of work and we can't expect DMs to do everything. One method is obviously much easier than the other, but I just think it's the kind of thing that's worth doing the right way over the easy way.

Players can help out too. Evil doesn't need to be banned, you just need to bend the RP a little. Same goes for good. Rather than going there to enslave/murder, or going there to purge the filth, just go there to be nice and help.

An example. My druid has encountered characters that openly summon devils, demons or undead. I have no IC reason not to just destroy these summons and attack the person but we're a community and should seek to encourage good RP from others without ruining their fun and we should be willing to bend OUR rp to do that. You can try informing them why it's frowned upon in the setting, you can try offering help so that they don't need those dark powers, and if you're evil you can encourage the opposite! None of which requires your level 30 getting into PvP with a low level.

Don't be afraid to bend RP a bit to make things easier or more fun for a person OOCly. They're new! Go easy. We should all be helping make this more fun for them rather than more fun for us. It's a place for new players.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:58 pm

Hazard wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:04 am
Don't be afraid to bend RP a bit to make things easier or more fun for a person OOCly. They're new! Go easy. We should all be helping make this more fun for them rather than more fun for us. It's a place for new players.
I more than agree with this. And you will often be surprised by how well new players roleplay, like there's a pearl hidden within them that's waiting to come out for the community to enjoy.

But it does take a little help, a gentle push for them to come out with it. Don't disregard players or count them as lesser simply because they're be to the game and/or roleplay. If anything, their newness may bring a fresh breath of air to the table as they collaborately tell their story with us =)

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:50 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:58 pm
Hazard wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:04 am
I more than agree with this. And you will often be surprised by how well new players roleplay, like there's a pearl hidden within them that's waiting to come out for the community to enjoy.

But it does take a little help, a gentle push for them to come out with it. Don't disregard players or count them as lesser simply because they're be to the game and/or roleplay. If anything, their newness may bring a fresh breath of air to the table as they collaborately tell their story with us =)
This is a great sentiment that could really be shared, that and I can not agree more. However, one could also argue that Skaljard might not be a new player friendly place; they might be better off starting in the established settlement to learn from a plethora of experienced players.

At the same time, those established settlements already have this "vibe" and "clique" most of the time. Skaljard is a rough gem to be appreciated where its potential for different approaches to RP can bring a breath of fresh air.

It was a pretty awesome and immersive experience when my mundane fisherman PC approached and knelt before an Umberlant. That and donating fifty gold to her in order to appease Umberlee and receive buffs from the priestess for showing the proper fear and respect for Umberlee.

I imagine this is possible on the UD or around Minmir regions, but you don't often see mundane PCs wandering around those parts to begin with. Skaljard provided this experience for me.

solo

Post by solo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:00 pm

I know this topic is fading, but I did want to give, not so much an opinion on the proposed additions and changes to Skal since I can't offer much in that regard, but an account of my experience in Skal, as someone who's both a new player on the server, and hasn't even seen most of the systems many of you describe since I still haven't even left Skal.

[ EDIT: This is way longer than I anticipated. If you're not going to read through this, I can't blame you. Here are the headlines:
- This server is scary enough as it is.
- I think Skal as a newbie area is fine.
- More NPCs from Arelith in Skal with dialogue options to link Skal to the wider world.
- More DM involvement in Skal.
- Get rid of the minotaur stuff. ]

I tried Arelith many, many years ago. Rolled a toon in Cordor. Got the messenger quest. Delivered one package. Streets were empty other than a couple dudes darting to and from quest givers. Looked for the second location. Couldn't find it. Got fed up and logged out.

Years later, I try again. Roll a toon and somehow end up in the UD. Got the messenger quest. That reminds me of my Cordor experience. Logged out.

More years pass, and I try yet again. Roll a toon in Skal and... that was roughly two months ago. The appeal Skal held for me was its simplicity. Quest giver's in the big house over there. Priest sells potions and heal kits here. Blacksmith has weapons and armours right there. Trade Hall has the rest over here. Stuff that wants to shank you is outside the village.

Simple. I can start playing. Within one or two hours of playing, I can be geared up and outside with some people having fun, exploring the world, get into some RP, and enjoy the game. As a new player, the first question that popped into my mind was "What can I do?" as opposed to "Where the hell do I find the stuff that will allow me to do something, damn it?!" And the second question was "How do I meet other players?" and certainly not "What social norms and protocol do I have to follow in order to not be lynched by the locals?"

I don't think you guys appreciate the amount of OOC information a new player has to deal with.

Upon launching the server and starting a new toon, I had to figure out what this trade book thing was. Then what's going on with those food rations and water? And, hang on... is that a bedroll? And... a tent?! Are you serious? Am I going to have to dig a freaking moat with a full-on palisade every-time I want to rest? And RPR? What is that? Oh man, am I going to have to remember all those chat commands? Just trying to understand the changes with the feats/skills/spells/classes/races is enough of a hassle.

The problem is even worst to someone who's not familiar with the FR setting. I ended up choosing a patron deity purely for mechanical reasons because I got fed up of researching the names in the list given after the fourth wikipedia page - half of which I can't even pronounce. Ironically, turns out the deity in question actually fits the character.

Basically, I wanted to play on Arelith. It took me two days of research before being able to do that. Maybe it depends on the mindset of a new player, but mine was, "I want to play a game. Don't bust my nuts explaining every detail of how you reinvented the wheel.”

Now add to that a further bombardment of information regarding portals that I'll never use until X levels, systems that relate to factions that I don't yet know anything about, social norms and protocols that... I'm quite frankly not interested in putting up with, and it would simply have been too much information for me to remember. And on top of that, it would have been far too intimidating. And though most of you might be oblivious to that fact, this server is already intimidating enough as it is.

It seems to me this topic is trying to tackle two different problems. One, making Skal more interesting to the playerbase as a whole. Which for some reason, seems to translate into making it more alike Arelith. Whether that’s a good or bad thing, I honestly can’t say. Two, making Skal more friendly to new players.

I may be wrong on this, but from what I'm reading, I'm afraid those two goals are not compatible. Let me explain...

I'm a little hesitant to delve too deep into this, because as a new member of this 'community' it's not my place to say this sort of thing, but in the interest of this discussion... I've been reading the forums for a while now, and I've seen a lot of borderline sanctimonious posts from people up on their high horse preaching to mere mortals like myself how we should conduct ourselves, what is considered 'good' RP, what the 'correct' way of treating death is, only to then be de facto categorized as one of the "randoms" on account of being new, and thus unworthy of attention. And if you think I’m being melodramatic, I’ll get you the quotes. And everytime I read these posts, the message I can see between the lines is something akin to "I'm doing it right. You're doing it wrong. My way or the highway."

If it was just the forums, I wouldn't care. But it translates into the game. I know of at least one relatively new player, who got themselves kicked out of Cordor twice in a single week on their first trip to Arelith due to trivial issues that related to a horse in the streets the first time and some other breach of protocol the second. I can't say I'm particularly impressed. I've met immigration officers who are more lenient and open-minded.

If that's the kind of stellar RP that is to be imported into Skal, then know that I would absolutely hate myself for depriving you of such... wonderful... storytelling. So please, keep it, and leave us poor Skalians to our woeful inexperience and inferior rp. We’ll find a way to make do.

On a less cynical note, it seems to me you're going to have to prioritize what you want from Skal. Either it can be the vacation spot for the Arelithian epics to screw around and relax, or it can be a platform for new players to ease into the server. But the former gets in the way of the latter. I remember being challenged several times to duels, and being pressured into accepting said duels, or just being 'bullied' or threatened by epic or near-epic characters while I was still under level 10. So although I would love epic dungeons in Skal, I'm deeply suspicious of anything that's going to attract epic level toons in what is supposed to essentially be a newbie area. And unfortunately, the only reason for me feeling this way is that I ran into asswipes one too many times. Not exactly the best of motivations.

I understand that it's all RP. Which is why I didn't make an issue of it. But if that's your idea of fun in your down time when trying out a new place to play a game, then I suggest you enlist in the military. You'll get crapped on 24/7 by people who are approximately 50 IQ points lower than you. You'll love it.

It got to a point where I was so fed up of these situations that during a player-organized tournament, I was scheduled to have a duel with another character whom I was convinced was a high level toon from Arelith, and since I was tired of getting my arse handed to me by people who seemed to take some kind of perverse pleasure out of it, I decided to buff fully and use my best gear. It turns out she was around level 5 or something, and I didn't even have the time to disengage before she was knocked out. I felt like the biggest dickhead in the universe. In my defense, she spent a little too much time emoting what a badass she was, and I fell for it.

To return to the larger issue, I can't say whether speedy messengers, factions, portals, and other systems would be a detriment or beneficial to Skal RP. I've yet to experience those. But, I am having trouble understanding where that borderline allergic reaction some people have towards Skal comes from.

I've managed to figure out the vast majority of the server's features (at least those I have access to) by playing in Skal and interacting with other people. There's only one occasion where I had an OOC discussion with someone regarding mechanics so they could explain something to me in relation to Ore Veins changing. Everything else, I figured out IC or through research, and would only ask a question on the forums if unable to get a straight answer on my own. So I guess I'm not really seeing what the difficulty is.

I also don't understand why it's such an issue in the first place. There's nothing forcing anyone to start in Skal. As I pointed out at the very beginning of this post, I originally started in Cordor the first time. Got bored, and logged out. No rocket science involved here.

But everything I've said above is really only in relation to introducing new players to the mechanics and easing them into the server. In that regards, I’ll admit that the learning curve is difficult, but not quite so difficult as some posts in this thread seem to be suggesting. In my humble opinion.

However, when it comes to introducing the world itself, I'm afraid I have very little that's good to say on the matter.

There’s a shocking lack of information about the greater world in Skal. A handful of NPCs such as miners from Brogdwarftownstein, sailors from Sencliff, traders from Guldorand, settlers from Cordor, some missionaries from that Banite or Red Knight temple, some wood smugglers from Anduwhatever… the lot of them with only a few dialogue options to introduce these places and how they fit into the greater scheme of things, would already be a major step in familiarizing a new player with the server, and somewhat re-attach Skal to Arelith without too much interference.

For example, my toon, and myself, are both pretty much equally ignorant on… everything related to the socio-political, geographic, cultural, economic, and historical layout of Arelith. I found out Cordor has some dude called Edward as King while reading a lengthy and somewhat vitriolic forum discussion on the relationship between good and evil on the surface. Meanwhile my character was told Cordor is a kingdom, and he was told it’s ruled by someone called Emily. Therefore, in his mind, Emily = Queen of Cordor. Obviously. It’s only logical. If they ever meet, he’ll make a damn fool of himself…

In passing, I’ll mention that at first, the utter lack of OOC information regarding the IC world of Arelith was… cute. Endearing, even. It turned discovering the world into a little game in itself. But after two months of still not able able to find any information, it’s just f-ing annoying.

Luckily, I had the pleasure of RPing with someone who plays a slave in the UD, and they proved to be a gold mine of information. The irony is that my surfacer half-elf character has no clue about anything that relates to Arelith, but is now actually pretty well informed regarding the economic makeup of the Underdark. That's not normal. The only two pieces of information regarding Arelith's economy that I've found are, Malachite is rarer than Greenstone. Gold ingots can go for up to 50-60k. That's it.

My character has also found out that, in light of certain military pacts between various Arelithian factions, Skal is essentially under the protection of Guldorand, hence why there was no pirate raid during the last summer. Is this true? I have absolutely no clue whatsoever. But you’d think people in Skal would at least have some notion of the politics and diplomacy of Arelith. Especially when it concerns them.

Which leads me to the proposals to further isolate Skal from Arelith by having more lengthy winters and cutting it off from portals. I’m not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it makes a lot of IC sense. After all, either Skal is far away. Or it’s not. Right now, Skal could be considered Shrodinger’s Island. It’s both so far away that you can only sail there a couple of months a year and be completely cut off from the benefits of civilization (messengers, portals, factions, etc…), and at the same time, it’s so easy to travel to that characters go back and forth seemingly on a whim of the moment. Some even go there on holiday - because, y’know… when people want to go on holiday they travel to a medieval, frigid ice rock populated by homicidal, axe-wielding, bipedal cows and scores of other monstrosities. But on the other hand, it makes no sense whatsoever on an OOC level to segregate players in such a manner. I would think it completely defeats the purpose of having a multiplayer server capable of hosting as many players as Arelith. But unfortunately, that’s as far as my argument goes. It would make IC sense, but would be an OOC inconvenience.

Most players, myself included, joined the server to play Arelith. Not Skal. Truth is I didn't choose to play in Skal, as much as I stumbled upon it, and ended up liking it. At first I couldn't wait to get out of Skal. People were going on about the ice thawing, and I thought it was just an RP thing, and that you had to somehow activate the portal at the abandoned jetty in order to travel to Arelith. Imagine my surprise when the ice 'actually' thawed and the way was open for ships to sail. Nontheless, I chose to stay in Skal, knowing I would likely miss the window of 'escape' due to a number of reasons. Most of them OOC reasons. Some of them IC.

I'll start with the IC. Basically, my toon had absolutely no reason to leave. People don't just get on a medieval-type ship, putting themselves at risk of storms, pirates, financial ruin, and so on, simply for the sake of adventuring. The whole adventuring thing always made my eyes roll. Historically, what we would consider adventurers had reasons for doing what they did. They might have been traders braving the dangers of the Silk Road, or viking raiders looking to elevate their station through plunder, nomads looking for better pastures to settle in, crusaders risking death in the desert to convert 'heathens' or pilgrims on a spiritual journey to a holy site.

So far, the only reasons I've found for traveling are as follows: 1) Find out what this damn key that half-dragon drops could possibly be. 2) Mine as much gold as I can to sell in Arelith and become rich. For the sake of becoming rich. 3) Go to the Cordor library to investigate that wretched Artificier Tower and find out if anyone's ever managed to do the whole minotaur thing. 4) Go to the Cordor library and use the printing press to copy a notebook listing the locations of the natural resources of Skal that my toon's been working on. 5) Going on a diplomatic mission to Guldorand to try and con them convince them to finance his own personal miltia a miltia that's totally, 100% for Skaljard.

The irony is that those reasons arrived only after the ice blocked the harbour again. So, yeah. I am convinced, however, that if Skal had been more attached to Arelith, it would be easier to find reasons to justify connections between the two islands.

As for the OOC reasons. The main one being that I knew I would have to travel soon - I'm currently writing this from an airport waiting room while on my way for a two-three week long work trip. I didn't want to initiate RP with new people, in a new area, only to then vanish for two to three weeks due to a busy schedule.

The other, is probably going to make most of you facepalm and take the piss out of me, but... whatever.

I actually thought the minotaur thing in the artificier's tower had something to it. I've been banging my head on a wall for weeks trying to figure out how to bring a minotaur to that crystal golem. When that didn't work, I figured it was a puzzle and spent more weeks trying to figure it out. While investigating, some players told me about secret passages behind glaciers and semi-secret bosses and heavily implied that there was a way to pull off that minotaur quest and that there was something of worth following the completion of that quest.

I tend to make any first character on a new server something of a Chaotic Neutral blank slate in order to give me the most flexibility and freedom in exploring the new server, and then allow the environment and events to shape the character's personality. Therefore, I made this "I want to get in that Artificier's Tower" thing into one of the cornerstones of my toon's identity.

It was only about a week ago that another player I was RPing with about this sent me a tell going "Dude... you know it's not there, right? That content you're looking for... it was never added." You know those moments where you're caught between depression and hilarity? Yeah. It was like that.

In any case, the player briefed me on the fact that Skal had been done in record time (good job, by the way), and therefore was still relatively unfinished, and that those rumours of dragon cults worshiping ice dragons hidden behind secret passages that only something small can squeeze into, assuming you find the secret passage behind the glacier, and you've found how to get rid of it, and maybe there's a relation to the minotaur thing, or maybe there isn't, and maybe there's also something going with that waterfall key... was half BS from players screwing with the new guy, and half unfinished content that never saw the light of day.

To be fair, I'm still not sure what is true and what isn't. But I've also noticed that everytime someone posts on the forums to ask a question about the minotaur thing and the artificier's tower, the response is always "Find out IC." Now, I'm not in the habit of asking questions to walls, so I didn't bother posting anything about it, and instead I did what I could to "find out IC." I'm still not hundred percent sure whether I'm onto something, or whether people have just been leading me along, but my suspicions are now on the latter.

If there is something to it, then awesome, and I'm waiting until I get access to level 9 spells to try one last thing. If that doesn't work, then I'll know I got screwed with. Until then, I've slowly been shifting my toon's motivations from wanting to get in that tower, to wanting to make a better golem than the artificiers, parade it around tower, give the artificiers the finger and tell them that he's not interested in going in their stupid tower anyway before sailing off to Arelith. What can I say? I like adding a level of pettiness to my characters. It's fun.

To go back to the proposals of fleshing out Skal further, I should point out that as deluded as I may have been, every character that my toon spoke to about this, showed immense interest both IC and OOC.

I remember sitting in a group of people around the campfire with everyone telling stories - and you know how that goes... there's usually two or three conversations going at the same time and text appearing over the heads of characters left and right every few minutes. When it was my turn and I expanded on my toon's 'research', it would inevitably be met with silence, with everyone drinking in every word as if I was reciting the gospel.

I've mentioned to some characters my suspicions (or rather, my toon's suspicions) of there being secret passages somewhere in the mountains or tundra. The response was an instant call for exploration, right now, to which I responded that I was really just making conversation and I actually had to log out in five minutes. The answer was along the lines of "Yeah, sure, you can log, that's fine. But where is it? Tell us. Now." (I'm paraphrasing. Artistic license.)

There's a person I brought in the loop who for the next couple of days would shoot me a tell the moment I'd log in with "Have you tried X?" and "I just had an idea!" or "What if..." and then spent god only knows how much time scouring every inch of Dun Magog to find a (probably non-existent) clue.

Yet another character whom I told about this who then spent I don't even know how long scouting for waterfalls that might have something to do with a key, and any caves that might be blocked by glaciers.

People who knew about the existence of the half dragon dude in the tundra, would then camp around the spiral, trying the most random things you can possibly imagine to try and activate a portal that doesn't exist. Ridiculous suggestions like "What if we put dragon blood in the spiral, and then burn it, huh? Or, maybe we have to try and pray in each of the four altars scattered around Skal to open the portal?" would be met with a chorus of "Screw it, let's give it a shot!"

One character and I would joke about needing to make money and establish a "scroll fund" in order to make up for the 100,000+ gold we'd busted on scrolls fireballing half the mountain and dispelling the other half.

As you can imagine, finding out that it had all been BS put me in a bit of an awkward position. Hence why I've been trying to distance myself from that RP, and instead focus on manufacturing a golem, parking it in front of the artificier's tower, declare that they can shove a minotaur up their collective arse, and then consider that I've 'completed' Skal and I can move on to... the other 95% of the server.

Now the reason I bring up this minotaur thing, isn't to try and get the DM staff to do an 'event' that would cater to my own personal obsession over the past couple of months, but to point out that there is a genuine interest in RP that goes deeper than just running around dungeons committing genocide left and right, it would seem. I don't know how close to completion the unfinished content of Skal is, but if it's something the dev team has considered, I think it would be a worthwhile investment to finish it. That, or remove every mentions of that 'quest' so that naive idiots like me are spared the frustration of chasing after ghosts. Or, even better still, when someone asks "Is there a way to do this?" on the forums, it would be nice if other players could just... give them a straight answer, for f's sake.

While I'm on the subject of staff, I'll admit that the way staff is presented on here can be a bit intimidating to a new player. The thought of having someone looking over me and watching my every move and then judging whether I'm worthy of 10xp a pop, 20xp a pop, 30xp a pop, or whatever... is a weird feeling. My initial reaction to DMs interacting with me tends to be the same as with cops: "I didn't see or hear nothin', it wasn't me, I didn't do it, and I don't know nothin'."

That being said, I've had nothing but positive experiences with the staff on here so far. In my first week of playing I ended up being stuck in the Artificier's Tower for hours due to a bug (maybe that's where the obsession comes from...), and if memory serves it was DM Wraith who answered my cries for help. DM Spyre helped me sort out a levelling bug and then generously boosted my RPR for reasons that still elude me, though in hindsight, me kissing his arse expounding on how much I loved the server probably had something to do with it. Then I found myself catapulted in the forefront of an event run by DM Wish, even though I barely understood half of what was going on (apparently, mages should know that ritual circles will hold a fiend in place - but my mage is an incompetent, so yeah...). Thankfully, there was another character present who did seem to know what was happening, so I was more than happy to surrender the spotlight.

All that to say that one of the reasons I enjoyed Skal was due to the lack of DM involvement. Basically, it meant I could do my own thing without Big Brother keeping tabs. Turns out I was absolutely wrong about this since from what I've seen, this server picks its staff with great care. I'm still amazed at how Wish was able to keep up and maintain some semblance of order in his/her event considering how chaotic and disorganized we were, not to mention how long we took for something as simple as "go get wood." And I very much hope to see more DM involvement in Skal.

Anyway, I'll stop there because I just realized how freaking long this novel is. Whether any of this is useful, I couldn't possibly tell. I figure either I'm completely off-charts on account of my ignorance, or it will provide insights that most of you are unable to reach due to being veterans on here. Take it as you will.

Apologies for the long winded post, but I can sometimes struggle with getting a point across in English. Also, my flight's been delayed for the fourth time and I'm bored to death...

See you in a couple of weeks.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:31 pm

I can certainly understand and can relate to a lot of your comments Solo and i understand some of your frustrations involving the stigma surrounding Skal.

I think this is a situation where we should ask newer players for their perspective. Sometimes we forget how complex Arelith can be.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:33 pm

just read the post by solo and this goes back to what was posted a while back

just picture that arelith is the east coast of the united states in the 1830s

high fallootin civilized folk in the fancy dresses and tophats is cordor

at the same time you have skal which is dodge city and the wild west frontier

the civilized folk would look down their noses at the savages in buckskin and gunbelts with knives at the ready when the frontiersman went east

this same analogy applies to cordor and skal

if the folks from the wild west want to fit in, they get a change of clothing and put their knife under their coat

skal would leave their horses outside at the stable area and not bring summons inside sheathing their blades and bows

in regard to npcs with info, its a good idea

maybe even stick some red colored portals that only work in skal from hidden campsites in the tundra or atop the mountain leading to a platform in town to show how such things work
Yes I can sign

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:13 pm

Ha. Anyone who says "find out IC" when they should be saying "I have no idea" ought to be strangled. "Find out IC" should mean "you're on the right track but I'm not spoiling it for you" and nothing else. If they're on the wrong track, subtly guide them then say "find out IC."

Skal is a weird addition but consider it was originally a test area for NWN EE totally separate from the main server. Linking it to the main island happened later and it may be a little bit clunky but there's only so much you can ask from volunteer developers. "good enough for now" has to do some times when there's a hundred other things to work on and nobody is getting paid.

Personally I'd have just as soon seen Skal be an "alternate universe" to Arelith with no back and forth, making it a very distant area with more of a rough wilderness feel that happened to use all of Arelith's mechanics but isn't otherwise linked (or at least outside of a DM event or something.) But that's just one opinion.

solo

Post by solo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:00 am

Ebonstar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:33 pm

the civilized folk would look down their noses at the savages in buckskin and gunbelts with knives at the ready when the frontiersman went east

if the folks from the wild west want to fit in, they get a change of clothing and put their knife under their coat

skal would leave their horses outside at the stable area and not bring summons inside sheathing their blades and bows

maybe even stick some red colored portals that only work in skal from hidden campsites in the tundra or atop the mountain leading to a platform in town to show how such things work
With all due respect, there's nothing I agree with in there. I don't want to get any crosswires, so let me be clear that I'm not trying to start a pissing contest with you before going any further, but I will point out what I consider to be flaws in your argument. You're more than welcome to do the same with mine. I'll survive.

First of all, this response sounds a lot like "My way or the highway" to my ears.

I point out what appears to be a systemic problem, and the response I'm given is "if you do this, you'll be fine, and if you don't, you had it coming." Except, if "doing this" was the instinctive choice for everyone, it wouldn't be a systemic problem in the first place.

"Crime is an issue."

"Well, if people respected the law, it wouldn't be a problem."

"...sure."

Additionally, I'm not sure my point got across. I'm not saying that people should look the other way when the "frontier savages" bring their crude ways to the bastion of civilization that Cordor apparently is.

I'm saying, if someone's first solution to a relatively new player's breach of acceptable behaviour on their first foray in their server is to kick them out of the roleplay hub, then I'm not sure that person is in any position to lecture me on what good RP is.

In regards to your Wild West analogy... I get what you're trying to say, and it holds up, but only to a point. In my opinion. Comparing Skal to the Wild West... fine. I can go with that. Comparing Cordor and Arelith to European/Eastern US culture of the 1830s? Not so much.

Ever read a book called Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind? There's a movie too, if you're interested.

The first page of the book essentially begins with something along the lines of "Back then, everyone stank. From beggars in the streets to the Queen of England." I'm paraphrasing. Didn't read it in English.

Keep in mind that book is set in 18th century France.

Point I'm making is that a better analogy would be the Danish colonization of Iceland. The Icelandic settlers were a bunch of brutish, crude, unwashed, bearded, superstitious savages, sure. But to consider the mainland Danes to be refined and cultured aristocrats is a bit of a stretch. The brutish, crude, unwashed, bearded, superstitious savages had to come from somewhere.

Cordor is a city-state. Not a union of colonial settlements established by a world-spanning empire with a vast supply of natural resources and some of the greatest industrial capabilities of the time along with one of the best trained and equipped military forces amongst the major Geo-political players of the period. It's a city-state.

Additionally, it's set in a world where magic abounds. Which means, everyone should be idiots. Look at the earliest civilizations. Ancient Egypt, Sumer, the Indus Valley, the Hans of the Yellow River... What do these places have in common? They're terrible. Just terrible to live in. Everything is difficult. Floods, sandstorms, droughts. It's a freaking nightmare. Which is precisely why civilization was born in these places. Because hardship and necessity dictated that people had to figure out ways to fight back against the elements. No civilization was ever established in places where life is easy.

Look at the modern world. Sailors don't know their stars and constellations, even though their ancestors had to memorize the passage of the stars and the ebb and flow of the tides. We need calculators to do simple sums, despite the fact that for thousands of years people used to sit down in silence and think about how to do an equation. Most people drive and have no clue what's under the hood of their car or how to maintain it, despite the fact that if you owned a horse in the past, you had to know how to take care of the thing. Barely anyone would be able to survive on their own without a shopping mall nearby for food, even though the fact that you're breathing means your ancestors were perfectly capable of doing it.

Why? Because technology and science made civilization incredibly powerful and expanded our collective knowledge beyond what all of our ancestors combined could have ever imagined, but turned turned us individually into idiots as a result of our dependence on it.

A world of magic where some people can create fire with a flick of the wrist, means no one would have ever bothered rubbing two flintstones together to get that first spark. Being able to teleport would have completely negated the need for improving long distance communications, or for transportation. No alphabet. No wheel.

I accept that Skalians are savages, but I don't see how Cordor can be any better. For every Platos, Athens had ten thousand morons who demanded Plato's death the moment he said something that bothered them. For every Archimedes, Syracuse had ten thousand idiots who couldn't understand the concept of taking a bath. Republican Rome conceived one Cincinnati, but it also created a thousand Sulla types.

I don't accept the argument that Cordor is so civilized and refined, that a horse in the street is such an offense as to require getting kicked out of the city as the sole and best solution. Especially when the perpetrator is someone who hasn't yet learned what seems to be the endless list of taboos due to them being in the process of discovering the server.

I'm pleased to see we agree in regards to the NPCs. As for the portals, I don't have enough information to have an informed opinion.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:31 pm

solo wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:00 am
Ebonstar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:33 pm

With all due respect, there's nothing I agree with in there. I don't want to get any crosswires, so let me be clear that I'm not trying to start a pissing contest with you before going any further, but I will point out what I consider to be flaws in your argument. You're more than welcome to do the same with mine. I'll survive.

First of all, this response sounds a lot like "My way or the highway" to my ears.

I point out what appears to be a systemic problem, and the response I'm given is "if you do this, you'll be fine, and if you don't, you had it coming." Except, if "doing this" was the instinctive choice for everyone, it wouldn't be a systemic problem in the first place.

"Crime is an issue."

"Well, if people respected the law, it wouldn't be a problem."

"...sure."

Additionally, I'm not sure my point got across. I'm not saying that people should look the other way when the "frontier savages" bring their crude ways to the bastion of civilization that Cordor apparently is.

I'm saying, if someone's first solution to a relatively new player's breach of acceptable behaviour on their first foray in their server is to kick them out of the roleplay hub, then I'm not sure that person is in any position to lecture me on what good RP is.

In regards to your Wild West analogy... I get what you're trying to say, and it holds up, but only to a point. In my opinion. Comparing Skal to the Wild West... fine. I can go with that. Comparing Cordor and Arelith to European/Eastern US culture of the 1830s? Not so much.

Ever read a book called Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind? There's a movie too, if you're interested.

The first page of the book essentially begins with something along the lines of "Back then, everyone stank. From beggars in the streets to the Queen of England." I'm paraphrasing. Didn't read it in English.

Keep in mind that book is set in 18th century France.

Point I'm making is that a better analogy would be the Danish colonization of Iceland. The Icelandic settlers were a bunch of brutish, crude, unwashed, bearded, superstitious savages, sure. But to consider the mainland Danes to be refined and cultured aristocrats is a bit of a stretch. The brutish, crude, unwashed, bearded, superstitious savages had to come from somewhere.

Cordor is a city-state. Not a union of colonial settlements established by a world-spanning empire with a vast supply of natural resources and some of the greatest industrial capabilities of the time along with one of the best trained and equipped military forces amongst the major Geo-political players of the period. It's a city-state.

Additionally, it's set in a world where magic abounds. Which means, everyone should be idiots. Look at the earliest civilizations. Ancient Egypt, Sumer, the Indus Valley, the Hans of the Yellow River... What do these places have in common? They're terrible. Just terrible to live in. Everything is difficult. Floods, sandstorms, droughts. It's a freaking nightmare. Which is precisely why civilization was born in these places. Because hardship and necessity dictated that people had to figure out ways to fight back against the elements. No civilization was ever established in places where life is easy.

Look at the modern world. Sailors don't know their stars and constellations, even though their ancestors had to memorize the passage of the stars and the ebb and flow of the tides. We need calculators to do simple sums, despite the fact that for thousands of years people used to sit down in silence and think about how to do an equation. Most people drive and have no clue what's under the hood of their car or how to maintain it, despite the fact that if you owned a horse in the past, you had to know how to take care of the thing. Barely anyone would be able to survive on their own without a shopping mall nearby for food, even though the fact that you're breathing means your ancestors were perfectly capable of doing it.

Why? Because technology and science made civilization incredibly powerful and expanded our collective knowledge beyond what all of our ancestors combined could have ever imagined, but turned turned us individually into idiots as a result of our dependence on it.

A world of magic where some people can create fire with a flick of the wrist, means no one would have ever bothered rubbing two flintstones together to get that first spark. Being able to teleport would have completely negated the need for improving long distance communications, or for transportation. No alphabet. No wheel.

I accept that Skalians are savages, but I don't see how Cordor can be any better. For every Platos, Athens had ten thousand morons who demanded Plato's death the moment he said something that bothered them. For every Archimedes, Syracuse had ten thousand idiots who couldn't understand the concept of taking a bath. Republican Rome conceived one Cincinnati, but it also created a thousand Sulla types.

I don't accept the argument that Cordor is so civilized and refined, that a horse in the street is such an offense as to require getting kicked out of the city as the sole and best solution. Especially when the perpetrator is someone who hasn't yet learned what seems to be the endless list of taboos due to them being in the process of discovering the server.

I'm pleased to see we agree in regards to the NPCs. As for the portals, I don't have enough information to have an informed opinion.
the book you mentioned in 18th century France, thats fine but that is putting 1700s France of which only the military and royal circles were considered the peak of civilization atop the unwashed masses that led to the revolution, head to head with 19th century United States I think of the Tv show my parents used to watch Dr Quinn and part where they showed the wilds of colorado vs the upper crust Boston elite

Its not that cordor isnt savage but they are rome vs the britains in the king arthur movie with clive owen and keira knightly with the britains being skal

That your friend was said to be kicked out with his horse in the street, is that he passed a full grassy area and entered a gate where the streets are covered in stone. Now even a rudimentary sense of a 8 int character knows his horse cannot eat rock, so hence lets leave horse where there is grass.

Portals are like transporters from star trek but only certain places can get a lock. There are destinations around the isles but few source points that are one way and few that work both ways.

having a few one way source portals in isolated areas of skal that all lead back to town, instead of getting stuck in the tundra and having to trudge back the whole way, when both player and character would be exhausted and still be facing perils, would simply A get players used to how portals work to a degree, and B help the the quality of life for those who live in skal.

Magic wouldnt stop language or the wheel, because not all are gifted with magic. have to have the farmers and millers and lower class so to speak

But most of this is moot, we as players love to see new players and we are happy to help out because even we were new players just as lost as you at one time. So any way we can help ig be it tells for your questions or direct ig aid, trust me everyone will help if asked.

oh and a small hint, if your character ever does decide to go to the main isles, there is a slim chance he may need his minotaur obsession, but that is for you the player, not for you the character. No more spoilers.

Welcome and just have fun, and ask ask ask, our characters may be death dealing beasts with phenomonal cosmic power, but our players are the itty bitty living space that will never get angry helping out
Yes I can sign

solo

Post by solo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:53 pm

But most of this is moot, we as players love to see new players and we are happy to help out because even we were new players just as lost as you at one time. So any way we can help ig be it tells for your questions or direct ig aid, trust me everyone will help if asked.

oh and a small hint, if your character ever does decide to go to the main isles, there is a slim chance he may need his minotaur obsession, but that is for you the player, not for you the character. No more spoilers.

Welcome and just have fun, and ask ask ask, our characters may be death dealing beasts with phenomonal cosmic power, but our players are the itty bitty living space that will never get angry helping out
Thank you for that. I appreciate it. I'm glad to see the minotaur stuff wasn't a compete waste of time, and I'm happy to know that this server is full of players willing to help.

I respectfully disagree with you regarding the points you've brought up in your post above, but I won't pester you with any further essays on the matter. I feel like we're getting to a point where we're going to be talking at each other, rather than to each other.

But thank you for your patience reading through all that and being willing to discuss it.