Shadowdancers (Opinions)

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Richørd

Shadowdancers (Opinions)

Post by Richørd » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21429

The link above is , as can be seen by anyone who clicks it , a set of changes to the Shadowdancer class.

Your thoughts on this? I'd just like to know what others here think about this.

EDIT 25th of November 2018 : Damn, I'm stupid. Forgot all this time to update the link. Fixxed now.
Last edited by Richørd on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

StrykerMontgomery

Re: Shadowdancers (Opinions)

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 pm

I would like to know what current forums standards are for making a forum of discussion related to your own suggestion.

Personally, i think reduced speed penalties for a shadow dancer would be nice, even if it scaled differently than rogue. Or maybe just give them a straight up speed boost every 6 levels because their shadow walk/running makes them moce faster ir whatver lore you would have.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Hellscr3am

Post by Hellscr3am » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:28 pm

I would like to see a movement speed increase while hidden.

In PnP a SD is even able to "Shadow jump" several feets (scaling with class level) as long as the target area is in shadow. I don't really get why rogue gets it and SD does not.

Maybe to give incentive to play rogue?

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:35 pm

I think the class is super strong but it lacks variety; the only way to build it is with either 14 or 17 levels, which makes it an awkward fit for many classes. Changing the focus of the class from the summon might require quite a bit of work.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:32 pm

I feel like the next things to look at on SD would be Shadow Evade and Shadow Daze and how they work in PvE and PvP. Might as well make sure the existing abilities have a function before adding new ones, right?

In particular, I'd love if Shadow Daze was on a cooldown and/or did more than just daze the target, since daze doesn't prevent item usage, making it trivial to remove. Shadow Evade could perhaps provide a movement speed buff as well?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:12 pm

I'm of the opinion that any X/day PRC ability that doesn't currently have a cooldown attached to it should get a cooldown, regardless of class, so there's that.

Evade giving a stealth movement boost is a cool idea.

Maybe Epic SDs could get something that lets them jump to where their shadow is (with a range limit) like how the shadow can jump to the SD when they attack.

Asmobius

Post by Asmobius » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:15 pm

I like the idea of a stealth movement speed increase, but also see how it could be too similar to what rogues already get. I do think they should get something to incentivise them as the best at stealth, but they already have the + to hide. Putting a cooldown on Shadow Daze is something I would really like to see, as is it's an abillity that I almost never use on my shadowdancers because you can only use it once. Something that might be nice is a long lasting ultravision and a darkness spell similar to the assassin update, but again then we are stealing from the incentives given to other classes, and I'd really like to see shadowdancer fleshed out as it's own thing. Another change I would love to see, if possible, is them getting at least one of the disguise skills added to their class list, as a backup to when they are discovered due to the use of true seeing, and/or the load-in glitch that reveals all stealthers.

Something else that would be really lovely, is if the summoned shadow mimiced the stealth skills of the summoner. If I want to stealth into a place unnoticed I have to either leave my shadow behind, or not summon it at all.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:58 am

Daze on CD. Some sort of shadow jump (teleporting to your shadow is a very cool suggestion!). Stealthed movement speed.

I really enjoy current SD in PvE, but could use more toys/cookies.

I would increase the +1 to hide to a +1 to hide AND move silent.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Shadow Step is in a set of haks myth drannor used as a up to 50 feet step from shadow to shadow point to point teleport as long as it was in direct Line of Sight was 3 times per day but can easily be on a cooldown at level 5 with HiPS

Shadowblade was a weapon made of shadowstuff usable by epic SD with abilities tied to alignment

maybe create a shadow door leading to the shadow plane for the SD only and for epics sort of like create portal for epic trans focus
Yes I can sign

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Evade could be given a shadow mirror image as well, one that doesnt attack or defend but as an illusion to give the oh crap over there effect. Scale it every five levels to add another shadowy image
Yes I can sign

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:57 pm

Shadow Daze could douse the target in shadow that cancels all vision spells and effects for the duration would make it more valueable
Yes I can sign

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:33 am

Bumping this. Totally forgot to update the link when I deleted my old suggestion and rewrote it.