Cordor Elections & Assassinations

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

flower

Re: Cordor Elections & Assassinations

Post by flower » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:33 am

There are people calling more stability as not neccesary or even wanted.

Well, if i was a faction leader Cordor would be the last thing i would ever think of settling in.

It must be great fun to be itchy every day if sudden change in goverment will not happen. If our faction, so far welcome, would not become the one forced to leave. If our estates, yesterday claimed to be secure from this by chancellor, wont be evicted from us because new boss wanna gift it to a buddy or other faction more fitting his ideas.

How can you even build anything settlement related under such conditions? This leads me to a neccesary questions. Are settlements only there to handle housing, or do we want spend time on developing them, getting them to a point they attract people to be part of it? First can be done with unstable settlements, but second requires stability and continuus stream of things.

Now to Dm Grumpy comments. Last time paladins stood up to goverment, they ended in free exile, temple of Triade pushed out of city and replaced with Red Knight.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for assasins. One of biggests downsides is no penalty for a botched job. If asasín fails his contract he should face severe consequences, not just respawn and be like lets try in 24hrs. If asasín fails to kill target, is killed, and his head is handed over by marked person to guild agent in building contract should be terminated and said asasín excluded from the guild for least a week.

And the comments on guards is just outright a joke. PC guards are humans. They sleep, eat, study, work. Or do you really think people playing this game have it as main term job being paid for hours spent IG?

And yes. If there is some famous villain, who raids daily, the faster and cheapest way to deal with him is to put 4 millions on his head even if you are a paladin. It will turn his buddies on himself and make them busy. Is that act evil? Paying to kill the most famous murderer in the world to stop him from killing hardly can be marked as evil act.

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:04 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:27 pm
Working out the 'who placed the contract' thing would have to be done carefully, if only because the main benefit of the system is really the anonymity. Remove that and there's not much reason to use the Guild. Not saying it'd be an entirely bad call, mark you, merely that if done it should be done carefully.

Contracts timing out makes 100% sense though and really should happen. I'd say after one IG year. If for no other reason than to get rid of the ungodly amounts of clutter on the Assassin contract board.

I made a suggestion about the system a while back.

I don't think there is enough player involvement in hits and contracts. There is very little risk. If players were the drivers, and since assassins undergo the scrutiny of the DM team to ensure they're not just going to do lmao pvp and act as executors for stories and intrigues, it'd make a lot more sense for the system to be looked at.

How it sits- I can walk in, put in a contract one someone's head and have it sought after. It is very unlikely someone will catch me, especially considering there are two guild offices where one can operate from. Were the whole 'system' put into the hands of the people who have passed the assassin application- it'd mean we could have people who can establish reputations, brand names, and also betray, out, and otherwise find out who are the killers, who are the buyers and so forth.

It'd be a lot more fun, imo. Your local chapter of the Long Death Order who've been accredited by The Guild would be sought out rather than they just agree to go kill a guy whose name is on a list. They become the people who can put that name on a list or tell you whose names are on a list, or even see your name taken off that list.

I know with the current system people could still sort of do this, but, the mechanics encourage more of a MAD --> MONEY --> MEH chart.
🤡

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:09 pm

flower wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:33 am
It must be great fun to be itchy every day if sudden change in goverment will not happen. If our faction, so far welcome, would not become the one forced to leave. If our estates, yesterday claimed to be secure from this by chancellor, wont be evicted from us because new boss wanna gift it to a buddy or other faction more fitting his ideas.
Honestly, this is why I've lately stayed away from housing and shops in Cordor. Having seen people's homes and shops evicted for ridiculous reasons isn't very appealing.

Having a shop on Skal, on the other hand, feels great because you have the safety knowing no one will be able to one-click evict you impulsively.
Last edited by MissEvelyn on Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Umm it makes no sense if the assassin fails the assassin guild would diviluge information about who posted it. Why hire the assassin guild if they might leak out your information?

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Red Ropes wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:04 pm
DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:27 pm
Working out the 'who placed the contract' thing would have to be done carefully, if only because the main benefit of the system is really the anonymity. Remove that and there's not much reason to use the Guild. Not saying it'd be an entirely bad call, mark you, merely that if done it should be done carefully.

Contracts timing out makes 100% sense though and really should happen. I'd say after one IG year. If for no other reason than to get rid of the ungodly amounts of clutter on the Assassin contract board.

I made a suggestion about the system a while back.

I don't think there is enough player involvement in hits and contracts. There is very little risk. If players were the drivers, and since assassins undergo the scrutiny of the DM team to ensure they're not just going to do lmao pvp and act as executors for stories and intrigues, it'd make a lot more sense for the system to be looked at.

How it sits- I can walk in, put in a contract one someone's head and have it sought after. It is very unlikely someone will catch me, especially considering there are two guild offices where one can operate from. Were the whole 'system' put into the hands of the people who have passed the assassin application- it'd mean we could have people who can establish reputations, brand names, and also betray, out, and otherwise find out who are the killers, who are the buyers and so forth.

It'd be a lot more fun, imo. Your local chapter of the Long Death Order who've been accredited by The Guild would be sought out rather than they just agree to go kill a guy whose name is on a list. They become the people who can put that name on a list or tell you whose names are on a list, or even see your name taken off that list.

I know with the current system people could still sort of do this, but, the mechanics encourage more of a MAD --> MONEY --> MEH chart.

As someone whose main is an assassin, that everyone knows is an assassin, I actually like your suggestion of making the placement of contracts on heads something that registered assassins with the guild have to do. Not only would it make active assassins more visible because you'd have to seek them out for RP(or advertise and wait for them to come to you). But it also adds a layer of intrigue.

You could approach an assassin to see if they know who put a bounty on X character and try and bribe the information out of them(truthfullness is up to the player, and its up to the bribe giver to trust them or not).
After defeating an assassin, there is a MUCH higher likelyhood they know who put the hit out, and can be squeezed for information; so people could try and capture assassins rather than. "Its an assassin! *killbash* Well, thats done. They'll just try again later though."

I really like this idea.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Sab1 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:57 pm
Umm it makes no sense if the assassin fails the assassin guild would diviluge information about who posted it. Why hire the assassin guild if they might leak out your information?
Because they're not going to complete the contract, and they might as well get paid anyways (AKA, the target bribes them). If you really wanna talk about realism.. why hasn't Cordor marched 1000 people through the Shadow Plane portal and just destroyed the building?

Putting realism aside: There's presently zero risk or interaction on the part of the contract-placer. There's no way to find out who did it aside from guessing. There's no continuation of RP or anything like that: Just a notice of "Oh someone's mad at you, better be ready to be pvp'd by a third party unless your character would be willing to buy the contract off" -- and more than a few character archetypes probably won't ever pay the contract off and have it make IC sense, even assuming you won't just get another contract put on you two days later

There needs to be more interaction in the whole system, both between assassins and contract-placers, and some way for the contract target to meaningfully interact with the system and make it a two-way street.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:14 pm

Then it will just go back to me asking player B to go kill player C. You will never know I asked player B to kill you unless they say something. Even then if disguise system was working they might not ever know who really hired them. You will just make it easier to pvp by not using the Assassin guild.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:15 pm

The fact that it's being run and organized by players explicitly means there's more RP avenues, though.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Hunter548 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:52 pm
Putting realism aside: There's presently zero risk or interaction on the part of the contract-placer. There's no way to find out who did it aside from guessing. There's no continuation of RP or anything like that: Just a notice of "Oh someone's mad at you, better be ready to be pvp'd by a third party unless your character would be willing to buy the contract off" -- and more than a few character archetypes probably won't ever pay the contract off and have it make IC sense, even assuming you won't just get another contract put on you two days later
I would love for the opportunity for a cheaper contract, one that involves a 'warning shot'. Basically, the assassin is to warn (threaten) the target that their actions are causing the public to stir against them. That could be through a note, a disguised appearance, or something similar.

That way, you'll have SOME form of interactivity between contract-placer and target, while still maintaining anonymity.

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:17 pm

I wish to add that I vehemently disagree with limits on leadership terms. The length of a leader's service should depend on the choice of the player base, not an arbitrary limit that doesn't always fit with the RP of that race.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:19 pm

I feel it neccesary to clarify something about the 'term limit' idea.

Under Titania's proposed idea, by 'terms' she means 'elections.'

So it doesn't mean that a leader can stand for up to 3 ig years. It means a leader can stand for up to 3 ELECTIONS.

So let's say the elves of Myon really like their leader, Trintiren. He gets in power, and then no one calls an election for 5 OOC months. Then someone calls an election. Trin Stands, and wins again! All is quiet for another 1 OOC month - then BAM! Someone calls an election again. For the third time Trintiren wins. This time no one runs against him for six months, because the elves like him so much! But then Wham! Someone calls an election for the third tim and (gasp) Trintiren can't run! - so in that situation Trin gets to run for One OOC Year, just fine.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

flower

Post by flower » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:23 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:19 pm

So it doesn't mean that a leader can stand for up to 3 ig years. It means a leader can stand for up to 3 ELECTIONS.

So let's say the elves of Myon really like their leader, Trintiren. He gets in power, and then no one calls an election for 5 OOC months. Then someone calls an election. Trin Stands, and wins again! All is quiet for another 1 OOC month - then BAM! Someone calls an election again. For the third time Trintiren wins. This time no one runs against him for six months, because the elves like him so much! But then Wham! Someone calls an election for the third tim and (gasp) Trintiren can't run! - so in that situation Trin gets to run for One OOC Year, just fine.

Why could he not run another time if he keeps winning and only single guy who ould dislike him would keep calling elections? ITs upside down.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 pm

Point 1) he can always exile that single guy
Point 2) One other add on to this supposed system that was suggested was not only can you only 'rule' for three terms, but you can only 'run' for three terms in the same settlment - for a whle anyway. If that was the case, then said guy would also be running the risk of being unable to rule himself for the same reason.
Point 3) The concept of this is less 'for ic reasons' and more to encourage a healthy turnover in leadership.

'But that's not very realistic For Elves!'
'Say, your'e right. Hay how about we introduce a system where if you die and are bashed in PvP You're permadead. I mean that's also more realistic right?'
'No that's not fun!'
'Exactly.'

Sometimes ideas that are brought forward arn't brought forward because they 'realistic' but because they are good for server roleplay as a whole. Is this one such example? Honestly? Yes. I think so personaly. But that's not my call, that's the Devs.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:10 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:19 pm

I think in practice, what that system means is that if a single person opposes an incumbent, they're just going to call a new election every month to FORCE the incumbent's term to be short.

This is still an arbitrary cap, and is still going to deal with the same issues I brought up before, with lieutenants of entrenched, numerically superior factions being used as stand-ins for a single term, before the boss takes control again for another three months. The clarification changes nothing about this.

Flower's post is accurate, in that someone is just going to keep calling elections.

The only place your clarified system works(without being triggered every month) is Myon(and/or to a lesser extent, Brogdenstien), because the entire settlement is effectively one big(figuratively, I'm sure myon STILL has the smallest population of any racial settlement, as it has for years, though the svirfs might have taken that dubious prize) faction anyways, and has suffered from a storied history of stagnation for almost 8 years(It may have changed now that myon can't exile 80 people, but if it has, I've not heard of it). And even with a system that forces the coronal to change every three elections, it still won't bring any real change to Myon, because half of the elves on the server are STILL blocked by the mythal, and good characters don't tend to mess with the status quo in alignment locked good settlements.
Last edited by Durvayas on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:20 pm
Hunter548 wrote:
I would love for the opportunity for a cheaper contract, one that involves a 'warning shot'. Basically, the assassin is to warn (threaten) the target that their actions are causing the public to stir against them. That could be through a note, a disguised appearance, or something similar.

That way, you'll have SOME form of interactivity between contract-placer and target, while still maintaining anonymity.
I also like this.

It builds upon original "assassin" history. Targets found feathers on their pillowcases that let them know they were marked. The spread of fear (terror) among Crusader leadership could be as damaging as an assassination.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:18 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 pm
MissEvelyn wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:20 pm
Hunter548 wrote:

I also like this.

It builds upon original "assassin" history. Targets found feathers on their pillowcases that let them know they were marked. The spread of fear (terror) among Crusader leadership could be as damaging as an assassination.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:22 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 pm
If there is noone else willing to run it or even able to handle it, why force mechanical change when you can gain the change via classic voting?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:32 pm

flower wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:22 pm
DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 pm
If there is noone else willing to run it or even able to handle it, why force mechanical change when you can gain the change via classic voting?
Pardon? Sorry I don't understand. In the system outlined above, someone has to call an election - ergo someone must be willing to run/able to handle it? I think? Sorry am I missing something?

EDIT: If you want a good counter argument- I would say that the above idea would make assassinating leaders even MORE lucrative, as it actually shortens their possibility of running even more! Which may not be a good thing.
This too shall pass.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:35 pm

I agree with GrumpyCats's ideas in this thread. Think they should go in.
\

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:41 pm

It's a tricky situation. While I'm in favor of some form of limit, I can entirely sympathize with the freedom it has now, acknowledge there will be awkward situations, and that a flat limit would be more of a problem.

I will try and elaborate on how I feel about it all. I'll not try and debate every point I write below because it's a lot.

How it is like right now. It allows for most forms of leadership to work under a democratic vote (it's not called that in game and I hate anyone who calls it that in game but it is what it is). There can be leaders that last for IG years for their popularity, and they'll only be rid of that role if a sizable enough force rallies against them, or they decide to step down.

On paper that doesn't sound so bad, but it feels very forced to a setting that shouldn't allow for widespread democracy, even though it is what it's fairest for the players (not characters). A bad leader (for the server/settings) can stay in power for as long as their group allows, at the same time it can easily be toppled by a bigger group (often these groups are OOC cliques).

That situation has created, in the past, the arguement that if a settlement has been bad because of its leadership, that you should change it, people kept saying that on the forums, "be the change you want to see". It's not bad advice but at the same time completely irrelevant to the problem, one shouldn't have to play something IC for something that is OOCly broken. The problem escalates when the leading group legitimately believes there isn't a problem (not every case is a problem mind, this is strictly referring to cases where it was).

We are a few years short from the settlement system becoming ten years old, when upon its implementation it was stated that it was a work in progress, despite being mostly abandoned, clunky and ineffective. With some of its parts even being removed. There are parts that require an overhaul, and I think more freedom in how settlement leadership is one of them.

-------------------------------

A few things that people have suggested in the past, and some of my own ideas, nothing to argue too deeply about (if you like them or not is completely irrelevant end of the day, best you can come up with is better ideas):

Method of Leadership

Absolution

There could be multiple forms of how the settlements can function in political ways beyond democracy. For example, if a faction wins with over 75% votes in their favor, they can impose their rule to be absolute (call it tyranny, kingdomship, hereditary, whatever you like), in this scenario, their rule can only be challenged by someone in a faction with at least half the amount of people(being citizens obviously) that voted in favor of the reigning ruler (this value diminishing every IG year to account for inactive/rolled characters). It could also have the added perk that an absolute ruler could pass leadership to someone else without another election (only triggering it if the conditions above are met, or are assassinated). Obviously, the winning faction doesn't have to impose an absolute leadership if they don't want to.

On the flipside, an absolute ruler could have downsides, such as an assassination disabling them from running for one IG year, or even increasing their respawn timer to a longer period of time (3 days for example, long enough their death will have some meaning, and by then elections are also over).

Standard

I really don't know what to call this. This would be similar to what it is now and is the form of government achieved when the winning faction has less than 75% support.

Council

I'm putting this here because I think it needs a bit of explanation. It's an absolute awful way of leadership even if a settlement could opt out. It has numerous hurdles and obstacles such as leader inactivity, writs, writ abuse, and not being able to do anything without someone you agree with, while the third wheel is left out and useless. This is something that doesn't need adding again, and the Devil's Table would also benefit of being rid of it.

Nobility

To make nobility matter at least something. Nobles could be given perks that function in conjunction with the above systems. Actions against nobles (that are citizens of the settlement in question) could cost gold if it's not an absolute rule, granting and removing nobility would cost gold paid from the settlement treasury (this would also allows nobles to indirectly pay for their nobility), exiling and taking away property from nobles would also cost gold but less than removing their nobility.

To add to all of that, an absolute ruler has reduced costs for granting/removing nobility status, and no costs on exile/property removal. A character with the noble award would be permanently counted as a noble and his status wouldn't be able to be stripped.

To further amplify the difference between an absolute rule and a standard one, there could be a small cost to settlement actions if it's a standard leadership.

The above makes you want to stay on the good side of nobles, they can be a firm support group that isn't easily removed. But it doesn't give them a staggering amount of power over choosing leaders.

wow that was a lot longer than i thought it would be when i first started
:)

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:51 pm

Touching on the topic of the guard doing more guarding- yes. I can't speak for the past few months, but during my character's tenure as a guard, it was a fairly regular practice to have a guard around the chancellor, because often chancellors had contracts on them (or could just simply be assumed to have as much since there's always so much political strife in Cordor).

The chancellor sometimes wandered around unguarded in public in the city, but in a city surrounded by Elite Guards at every corner, this shouldn't really count as "unguarded," and I feel not very great about the idea of assassinations taking place in public in the street with no DM agency to react on behalf of the city. (Note, I am not saying this is what has happened as I'm not privy to details, I am simply saying that in this instance I would see it as being done "wrong," although I am not a DM).

However, sending your chancellor off to a meeting outside the settlement or in a private building that isn't affiliated with the government should, by default, I feel like, be handled with a level of caution and security one might expect for a country's leader, which is, be respectful but take zero chances. No, mister president, you can't open that gift package until it's been inspected, and you certainly can't walk into this building until we've established a secure perimeter and ensured there are no bombs, kinda deal. (Again, not saying this is what happened, just putting out my two cents).
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

flower

Post by flower » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Person starting elections DOES NOT NECCESARy becomes a candidate. IT can be started by anyone trying to simple limit time of current leader even with knowledge this elections will bring no change.

He can keep doing this any month without any chance to get to know his name. (so, no exile and so on).

It can be person who calls elections with no further interest in settlement or even person whos only interest is to screw settlement over by gettting rid of its succesfull leader.

So timer on runs for rule will not bring anything but other things how people with evil intent (as players) can ruin communities in individual settlements, nothing more. Those who are willing and capable of handling settlement can get there even under current conditions.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:12 am

I like what Cortex touches upon between absolutism and majoritarianism, it would be a more flavourful touch.

Really, I think what needs to happen is a major overhaul of how settlement politics works in the densest areas of the server (Cordor), while leave every where else alone. Because all political discussions are usually about Cordor (and sometimes the UD).

The problem is the fact Cordor now has a monarchy (right?), and has a lot of Amnian geopolitics (I think?). I was hoping the King Edward stuff would wipe the slate clean and allow Cordor to "reset" but really it keeps limping along confined by these top-down story arcs that don't jive with the actual Cordor...

... which is a political clusterfuck. It always has been, it always will be, and it's great because it allows the Leadership of the Day to come in and try to craft some political machination in their own image. It's really cool. Settlement politics should be a sandbox that let creative players play politics as the way they (and the community) at the time, fits, and sees appropriate. There should be some broad thematic strokes (it's not a rights-based democracy and leaders are not appointed by the gods) but otherwise, let players define and redefine.

Really, kill the king, divide from Amn (and the majority of continental Faerunian influences), and let players Make Cordor Gr- What They Want It To Be.

edit: like, for example, why can't characters(players) define the ability for term limits? The answer is probably because they cannot mechanically enforce it, so they want to change the entire system to have designated term limits. That's not a good approach. Instead, there should be a lever that allows Settlement Leaders to set their own, and it can be changed, by players. In-game. Everything should be malleable.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:34 am

Really, kill the king, divide from Amn (and the majority of continental Faerunian influences),
HELL YES

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:09 am

I am not certain how big of an impact any potential change of the form of any IG political system could have for as long as the IG political game remains being played by the same people (as in players) over and over again.