Belt of Sustenance

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

WanderingPoet

Belt of Sustenance

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Subject: Belt of Sustenance
Fionn wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:16 am
Yet another Food/Water/Rest suggestion, but I think it's new :) Wish said it was a good idea.

Can we get a (craftable?) erf for a belt that will put a PC into an effective tavern area? No sleep, food or water lost per tick? This would be a god-send for Astra's amazing (long - zOMG how does she stay online so much) lectures. I'm sure there are many other likely valid RP reasons why one might like to forego physical needs like drinking or peeing.
This idea is really cool, the number of meetings/etc that you just fall over half dead because of food/drink/rest or guzzle snacks...

Small point of feedback to make it more balanced:

Have the food/drink/rest continue to fall while wearing the belt but just prevent the negative afflictions from occurring. You'd still need to eat/drink/rest after your meetings, but as long as you wear the belts (and don't hit -100%?) you will remain unaffected. Take the belt off and hit a tick though and you will be.

This way the belt doesn't become mandatory for every town visit.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

ltlukoziuz

Re: Belt of Sustenance

Post by ltlukoziuz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Or you know, just make all the meeting halls with a rest flag, like Burrowhome has it? I was so happy of that when I attended Bendir's meeting.

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Yeah, could even make all the settlement areas rest areas and all wilderness / non-settlement areas so that they deplete the metres. Would restrict the hassle of managing the bars to time spent outdoors on hunts and such.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:00 pm

WanderingPoet wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Have the food/drink/rest continue to fall while wearing the belt but just prevent the negative afflictions from occurring. You'd still need to eat/drink/rest after your meetings, but as long as you wear the belts (and don't hit -100%?) you will remain unaffected.
I don't consider it unbalanced as a magic item taking a slot. -2 ability points is a sacrifice to avoid a housekeeping task. It might need a tweak for Lost Desert or any other area where F/W/R become a plot point.

OTOH, please don't just remove the negatives and let me die without notice at -100%!
~~~~~~
Badger
Wynn
RIP: Paddy

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:45 pm

Fionn wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:00 pm
WanderingPoet wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Have the food/drink/rest continue to fall while wearing the belt but just prevent the negative afflictions from occurring. You'd still need to eat/drink/rest after your meetings, but as long as you wear the belts (and don't hit -100%?) you will remain unaffected.
I don't consider it unbalanced as a magic item taking a slot. -2 ability points is a sacrifice to avoid a housekeeping task. It might need a tweak for Lost Desert or any other area where F/W/R become a plot point.

OTOH, please don't just remove the negatives and let me die without notice at -100%!
The issue is less unbalanced and more how it becomes mandatory to have one. You return to town and you equip it, now your meters stay where they are until you go out again. You're not sacrificing anything to avoid the housekeeping task as you don't need 2 those 2 ability points while in town. The only 'cost' is 2 inventory slots (and even then, you could replace water/food/coffee with it and get back those inventory slots).

There are also plenty of characters that would not need to make use of a belt for 2 ability points, not to mention the item would be enchantable (possibly rune-able) meaning even that 'cost' is removed.

In my opinion making it just stop the negative afflictions gives you most of what you want, while still meaning you actually have to eat/drink/nap. All you have to do is make sure to not hit -100% in any of the stats which shouldn't be too hard?
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:16 pm

I have a revolutionary idea.

1. Remove the food and water system.
2. Keep the rest system, but never allow it to go below 0% (i.e. no penalties).

Because, come on, honestly. How often does the need to click right click some inventory item actually add to your roleplay?

flower

Post by flower » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:24 pm

Peppermint wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Because, come on, honestly. How often does the need to click right click some inventory item actually add to your roleplay?

A lot, when you wander in infinite desert, unable to find way back going multiple times across same area and lacking any lens in the bagpack.

Then any portion of food and especially bottle of water become more important than anything else... :D

Maybe slow the rate it goes down but definately not remove it.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:50 pm

This idea really puts the FEED into feedback!

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...

Serious moment - perhaps rather than a magic belt that stops all rest/food meters, an item that raises food/water to 100%? Usable five times only? Just an idea.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Dirac

Post by Dirac » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:59 pm

flower wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:24 pm
Peppermint wrote:

A lot, when you wander in infinite desert, unable to find way back going multiple times across same area and lacking any lens in the bagpack.

Then any portion of food and especially bottle of water become more important than anything else... :D

Really? By the time they get to the desert, even new players are spamming portal lenses (at least I know I was).

I do agree with toning the rate down a bit. It almost always seems like my character is hungry, thirsty, and exhausted... more annoying than immersing.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:09 pm

flower wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:24 pm

Even this is a non-issue. With just 2.5lbs of weight and 6 inventory slots you can load up with 10 water and 10 food. Even at the harsh drain of the desert it takes a little longer than 2 RL hours to go from full to empty in the water category, and only 8 bottles to go from -100 to 100. So if you can't get out of the desert in 4 RL hours, or somehow not find the caravan with its food/water vendors even once in that time, then sure you might be a little screwed. But that's also easily resolved by just carrying another stack of water for another four hours.

The food/water/rest system is just unecessary busywork with how ubiquitous the items you need to replenish the meters are. There's only a handful of areas that completely deny you the ability to rest and most of them are short pre-boss rooms, and even counting the desert you're never in a situation where a stack of 10 water and a single travel ration will leave you out of food/water for long enough to represent a danger to your character.

So all food/water does is make people stop RP to spam a string of [Character X uses items special power] before resuming like nothing happened, and all rest does is force mages to be alcoholic narcoleptics about to collapse if they want to refresh their spells while mundanes just top off at inns every now and then. I'd be all for removing or at least overhauling food/water/rest and just putting a cooldown scaling by level on resting to keep casters from going nuts with spellcasting.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:48 pm

I wouldn't mind such an item with x charges that restored you back to 100%, though you could also just make sure you were sated before any long meeting.

But the real solution is to be a fairy, who have evolved past the need to die from age and drink water and food.
Please don't feed my sister.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:12 pm

There are many people who occur to run out of water right in desert. It is called Murphys law.

And even of lens. How often my random companions have 0 lenses? Almost always.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:22 pm

Peppermint wrote:

Yes please!
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:25 pm

make food/drink optional but have them provide subtle but long-lasting buffs upon consumption

+2 to con, resistance to cold, a slight speed boost, +1 AC, +1 regen, etc. depending on the food eaten
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Peppermint wrote:

Bingo.

Small buffs could be good too, if only because removing the food/water means no more poisoning wells and water sources is a neat *idea* and I'd hate to see that go away entirely even if it's ... mostly bad and bugged and doesn't work.

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:50 pm
This idea really puts the FEED into feedback!
*groan* Now I'm grumpy ;)

More efficient clickies would be nice, but I was going for the canon Belt so we wouldn't need to do so in the middle of a lecture.
~~~~~~
Badger
Wynn
RIP: Paddy

Umskiptar

Post by Umskiptar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:16 am

Peppermint wrote:

This is the best suggestions I've seen in a long time!

Baseili

Post by Baseili » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:09 pm

I'd like to suggest a middle ground between Peppermint's and Wytchee's ideas.

1. Remove 0% penalties from food and water meters but gain +1 fort if both meters are above 80%.
Food and drink can only raise it to 70% (crafted or named increase it by 40%), spenting time in a Rest Zone passively increases it to 100% (10% per ingame hour).

2. Retain penalties for a negative rest meter but allow characters to Rest based on a timer per level (say 5 minutes between 1 - 5, 10 minutes between 6 -10, 15 minutes between 11 -15 and 20 minutes above level 16?). Resting in taverns, inns or any other rest areas will instantly fill the meter, anywhere else will cap at 60% but will not prevent you Resting if the timer allows it.
If the Rest meter is above 80% you gain +1 reflex.

3. If all meters are above 80%, gain +1 will.

At 2% degradation per 6 minutes, a full meter would grant you an hour's worth of the buff. Easy enough for those who want it though not a big enough of a loss for those who don't.