Underdark (Haunted Cavern) Dungeon & Writ

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Red Ropes

Underdark (Haunted Cavern) Dungeon & Writ

Post by Red Ropes » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:09 am

Could this be redone? You need a +2 weapon to kill the spawns there which isn't garaunteed for its advertised level, its traps trigger weirdly, and its 'puzzles' are behind horrible traps you're not really warned about. It's a giant death trap, please kajigger it.
🤡

Red Ropes

Re: Underdark (Haunted Cavern) Dungeon & Writ

Post by Red Ropes » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:17 am

Also everything there has con drain and level drain and having neg proc isn't necessarily available easily either at its level range.

It's basically a: "only come here with a cleric or some necro summons, haha seeya"
🤡

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:52 am

If this is the same dungeon I'm thinking of, could someone translate the descriptions into English?
20 RPR GANG

Alox

Post by Alox » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:00 am

It is not a typical "farm" writ, but it is fun place to try something different.

Don't make all the writs "farmable".

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:53 am

It's not a matter of farmable.

It has a lot of weird glitchy business in it. It's supposed to be this SPOOKY GHOST DUNGEON, and it has part of that charm- combined with a bunch of poorly done up CR creatures that have too much challenge for their projected level range. This means its an area undesired to actually visit when it would be most useful to visit it.

I have /never/ got to the ending and I never return with higher level characters.

The traps in it are too powerful, there are too many, it's "HAHA GOT YA" door locking scripts are very buggy and I think based on floor triggers. But there's no feedback and no escape but the DEATH EXPRESS.

Aged dungeon, charming idea which I do commend the elder devs for making. But it needs a face lift.
🤡

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:06 am

It probably should be more appropriately set to be a higher level dungeon. (High tens).
Please don't feed my sister.

LongDongPingPong

Post by LongDongPingPong » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:54 am

I actually really enjoyed that dungeon and liked to go there by myself. The traps before the room with levers can be toned down, but other than that I don't think it's that bad. Now if you compare it to that monstrous necromancer in Cordorian crypts... that is indeed a tough one.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:04 am

Red Ropes wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:53 am
It's not a matter of farmable.

It has a lot of weird glitchy business in it. It's supposed to be this SPOOKY GHOST DUNGEON, and it has part of that charm- combined with a bunch of poorly done up CR creatures that have too much challenge for their projected level range. This means its an area undesired to actually visit when it would be most useful to visit it.

I have /never/ got to the ending and I never return with higher level characters.

The traps in it are too powerful, there are too many, it's "HAHA GOT YA" door locking scripts are very buggy and I think based on floor triggers. But there's no feedback and no escape but the DEATH EXPRESS.

Aged dungeon, charming idea which I do commend the elder devs for making. But it needs a face lift.
I've gotten to the ending. I remember it being actually really... disappointing.

The final room is a vast chamber that is nearly completely empty, with perhaps 6-8 mobs in it, total. It has a chasm, and a small island of sorts in the middle. There is no loot, nor resources, in this room at all that I recall. There is not even a boss, if memory serves. And there is a doorway in the back. Its a one-way transition that, if I remember right, either dumps you out behind the waterfall, or in the aboleth area. Its been a year since I decided to masochistically brute force the puzzles and get through it because I wanted to remember what was there. It actually feels incomplete, like it was meant to have more, or go somewhere else, but ended up shoe-horned into dumping out where it does.

This dungeon is one of the few dungeons on Arelith that is NEVER worth finishing. Its a fantastic dungeon on the FL server, being that it is one of the only ways to get into the lowerdark, but on vanilla Arelith, its challenge, its theme, its spookyness, are all utterly wasted, bringing you somewhere underwhelming that you could get to easily before, and yielding nothing of note safe frustration along the way. Its a damned shame, because it is a neat concept of a dungeon, that falls flat on implementation and fun factor.

The dungeon is useful for only two things, Farming ghosts avernus style in the first room, where you have them drop out of the ceiling constantly(of course, this is only possibly with a +3 weapon or a weapon with divine damage on it, generally items restricted to lvls above what the writ demands), and going in deep enough to hit three loot chests. There is no point bothering with the second puzzle room, ever.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:01 am

Also the climbing spot to reach one of the levers can get pretty annoying when you're forced out of the dungeon pretty much before the very end just because your character isn't the appropriate class/build (overall, I consider the climbing spots to be one of the most needlessly infuriating features of the server and its placement in this dungeon just seems too random).

Alox

Post by Alox » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:26 pm

-XXX- wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:01 am
Also the climbing spot to reach one of the levers can get pretty annoying when you're forced out of the dungeon pretty much before the very end just because your character isn't the appropriate class/build (overall, I consider the climbing spots to be one of the most needlessly infuriating features of the server and its placement in this dungeon just seems too random).
This part could use some alternatives to complete, like casting gust of wind, breaking down the barricade or summoning a pet on the other side and let it be able to flip the lever.