Planar Ally/Binding Decoupling

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Planar Ally/Binding Decoupling

Post by Wytchee » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:59 pm

... from conjuration bonuses.

Hey! What's the decision behind this?

Is another buff to these summons in the works? That'd be great! The hours/level duration is super nice but this is still, mechanically, a nerf to these summons who were already largely useless past mid-to-late teens (I am speaking mostly of tier-4 GPB summons *is a biased arcane caster*). Thanks. :)
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Planar Ally/Binding Decoupling

Post by triaddraykin » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:38 pm

For what's it's worth, I was about to create a post like this myself. Even an extended Greater Planar binding didn't last terribly long in combat, and was usually a backup at best. Now... Well, they look cool? Good if you don't have the Elemental summon streams?
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:54 pm

triaddraykin wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:38 pm
For what's it's worth, I was about to create a post like this myself. Even an extended Greater Planar binding didn't last terribly long in combat, and was usually a backup at best. Now... Well, they look cool? Good if you don't have the Elemental summon streams?
Yeah. I'm mostly concerned with the scaling of tier-4 summons in epics. The hours-long duration doesn't matter when they die in seconds. Still, I'll take what I can get if it means more thematically-appropriate summons for my wild mage. EDIT: gosh I sound so ungrateful. Sorry!

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:26 pm

They're great if you only want to circle grind low level area's...

But isn't that the sort of thing we want to discourage?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:27 am

Several new streams are now hidden throughout the gameworld.
I've a feeling like it has something to do with this. There must be more powerful summoning streams out there to draw from that warrant the decoupling.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:05 am

Ork wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:27 am
Several new streams are now hidden throughout the gameworld.
I've a feeling like it has something to do with this. There must be more powerful summoning streams out there to draw from that warrant the decoupling.
That would be super cool!

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:08 am

Wytchee wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Is another buff to these summons in the works? That'd be great! The hours/level duration is super nice but this is still, mechanically, a nerf to these summons who were already largely useless past mid-to-late teens (I am speaking mostly of tier-4 GPB summons *is a biased arcane caster*). Thanks. :)
By 'decoupling,' this is what is meant: The Planar line of spells retain a +2 bonus to relevant stats regardless of whether the PC has Conjuration feats or not. This, combined with their lengthy duration, means they will be useful for casters who did not go Conjuration (and will occasionally be a decent alternate summon for those that did.) The goal was to make Conjuration slightly less mandatory for spellcasters looking to do things on their own.

This was not fully explained in the announcement post, which is my fault. The update had a lot of moving parts and full documentation of it all is still pending.

That aside, ork is correct in that there are new summons available for this line of spells, hidden in the gameworld.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:56 am

yellowcateyes wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:08 am
That aside, ork is correct in that there are new summons available for this line of spells, hidden in the gameworld.
Cool. Can't wait to find them. I just hope they're useful beyond level 17, otherwise everyone will just use the elementals.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Thank you very much for giving us the full explanation behind this. That's truly appreciated and now that I understand it, it's a wonderful decision in my opinion.
yellowcateyes wrote:
Wytchee wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:59 pm

By 'decoupling,' this is what is meant: The Planar line of spells retain a +2 bonus to relevant stats regardless of whether the PC has Conjuration feats or not. This, combined with their lengthy duration, means they will be useful for casters who did not go Conjuration (and will occasionally be a decent alternate summon for those that did.) The goal was to make Conjuration slightly less mandatory for spellcasters looking to do things on their own.

This was not fully explained in the announcement post, which is my fault. The update had a lot of moving parts and full documentation of it all is still pending.

Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Almost makes me want to remake now that conjuration is not super-mandatory. Conjuration never felt right for my wild mage, but I took it anyway to avoid pulling my hair out.

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:47 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:
Wish I could just upvote triaddraykin, but thanks++ for the clarifications :) Will these new streams work with the existing prisms? Can you tell us if they're books or fixed location secrets (e.g. Vampire)
~~~~~~
Badger
Wynn
RIP: Paddy

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:56 pm

New streams will work with existing prisms. The rest will have to be discovered IG.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Alox

Post by Alox » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:59 pm

Thank you for the new content! Really great!

One question:

Now that Greater planar binding is the last long duration outsider summon, would it be possible to have it included into the list of summon spells that is affected by epic levels? Like summon creature IX, Gate (which is short lived), and so forth.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:06 pm

Alox wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:59 pm
Now that Greater planar binding is the last long duration outsider summon, would it be possible to have it included into the list of summon spells that is affected by epic levels? Like summon creature IX, Gate (which is short lived), and so forth.
It is possible. We'll consider the suggestion.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:23 pm

Alox wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:59 pm
Thank you for the new content! Really great!

One question:

I would really appreciate this too!

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:02 am

ty yce