Mage cuffs. Do they need a full set?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Zed

Mage cuffs. Do they need a full set?

Post by Zed » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:04 am

As a recent wearer of mage cuffs, I would like to put forward that I think they either need to be buffed to about 60-70% spell failure, or have a full and complete set that give the wearer an 80%-90% spell failure.

Currently while it is really easy to escape jail anyway, It would go a long way if imprisioned mages could not count on their abilities to escape.

What do you peeps think?

Ebonstar

Re: Mage cuffs. Do they need a full set?

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:21 am

all cells need to be warded to be a null magic zone, then it doesnt matter if they wear cuffs or not
Yes I can sign

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:39 am

Mage cuffs is the most pointless item ever. If anybody wishes to play as they're unable to cast spells, they can do that without an item they have to wear themselves, by choice.
:)

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:21 am
all cells need to be warded to be a null magic zone, then it doesnt matter if they wear cuffs or not

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Anatida wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:30 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:21 am
Find an abjurer - don’t want to defeat the possibility of escape, but there are already existing measures people can take to do this.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:07 pm

The cordor jail area is warded against -yoinks and teleports, i dont see why all other jails cant have this as well.

its such an obvious oversight
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:04 pm

If prisoner is taken with consent, why do you need warded jails...

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:34 pm

flower wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:04 pm
This. It's an RP server, and you have to consent to capture. If you do that, you should also consent to not getting yoinked out.

If you wanted to go one step further in your RP, you could rename a pair of gloves with a description detailing how it prevents the use of magic and summoning of the captive (Vippin once had a pair of gloves like that) and any RPer with their salt will abide by those restrictions.

Players imprisoning others might also want to RP patting down the prisoner and removing their backpack, sword, portal lenses, etc. to give the captive some idea of what tactics are no longer available to him to attempt an escape.

thingsicantdo

Post by thingsicantdo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:47 pm

Diilicious wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:07 pm
The cordor jail area is warded against -yoinks and teleports, i dont see why all other jails cant have this as well.

its such an obvious oversight
cordor op pls nerf

CaptainGuy

Post by CaptainGuy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:45 pm

Blood on my Lips wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:34 pm
flower wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:04 pm
This. It's an RP server, and you have to consent to capture. If you do that, you should also consent to not getting yoinked out.

If you wanted to go one step further in your RP, you could rename a pair of gloves with a description detailing how it prevents the use of magic and summoning of the captive (Vippin once had a pair of gloves like that) and any RPer with their salt will abide by those restrictions.

Players imprisoning others might also want to RP patting down the prisoner and removing their backpack, sword, portal lenses, etc. to give the captive some idea of what tactics are no longer available to him to attempt an escape.
I agree with this idea view, echoes back to what I was told when my PC first joined the Cordor guard. The idea of jail cells is to have a setting to RP with the prisoner. Not lock them in there and forget about them for the next few hours. If they don't want to be captured alive then it won't happen. They're just no way to my knowledge to drag a PC to a cell alive. The only way to force a PC into a cell would be to kill them, take their body to the cell, then use a scroll or spell to rez them. But that to requires their consent, and not telling them that you would be rezzing them in a cell would kind of be a dick move.

So what do you do with a PC while you have them in the cell? Well you can interrogate them. Ask them their life story, why they did what they did. More chaotic and evil characters might go for torture. The point is you can't see the player behind the character as you're enemy, they are you're partner in this RP. You're both there to have fun so at the point where it stops being fun for either of you just cut them loose.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:47 am

Is it wrong if I said that the mage cuffs were meant to be a "show and tell" sort of item and not practical or even expected to be seriously used?