Skal (Dun Umbra) Kurgan - Greater Grave Worm

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Skal (Dun Umbra) Kurgan - Greater Grave Worm

Post by Twily » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:25 am

I feel this mob is a bit too strong for where it's placed.

You go from mobs that have 3-7 AB, and hit for 5-10 damage per hit straight to:

15 AB, 2 Attacks Per Round, DC12 Disease on hit, DC16 InfestationOfMaggots on hit
(which has a duration of 10 rounds + 1 per level, so presumably around 15 rounds or so in this case, causing a chain of Con reductions until they pass the save, with each failed save further reducing the chance of passing it, quite possibly killing the person due to going below 3 Con. For many low level characters, this is equivalent to a low DC death on hit)
Moreover, the Con reduction from Infestation of Maggots can't be rested off, and doesn't wear off on it's own from what I've seen, forcing the low level to find a LesserResto

It also has a 5/? damage reduction that is at least +3, since I had a +2 weapon.

Astegard
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Skal (Dun Umbra) Kurgan - Greater Grave Worm

Post by Astegard » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 am

These also exist in the UD bonefields, and for some reason their -con applied instantly instead of after a while like with other diseases.
I think its the main reason that makes them so strong.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:19 pm

I've had no issue with these spawns on now 3 characters that have traveled through Skal. They are avoidable in the dungeon and act like mini-bosses.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:32 pm

They also exist in Brog's Crypts, and specifically as a boss for you to kill in a writ. They function like a mini-bosses or bosses, and are meant for the low level range. So it is natural it has a jump in power. I'd rank it equal to the half-dragon boss in the iron caves in difficulty. Not as bad as old Sirag, notorious Total Party Killer.

Strategy wise:

Potion of Ironguts, a common potion drop in low level ranges, is your friend.
Partying also makes it very doable.
Most low fortitude classes have some way to get access for a distraction summon.
Please don't feed my sister.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:01 pm

I just came across another one next to a loot container. (which does not give boss XP when killed, ended up coming back with a group that could handle it)

The loot container was inside of a locked room, with no Grave Worm visible.
It wasn't until after I had already unlocked the door and walked into the room that this thing jumped out of the ground in melee range, instantly attacked(and hit) me, and even although I started running immediately I couldn't make it away alive.

The mobs in this dungeon are significantly easier than the mobs in the Goblin Fortress, yet these Grave Worms are notably harder to kill than the boss of the goblin fortress, and ambush you as well.

In total, I've been attacked by these mobs a grand total of 3 times (and by that, I mean 3 attack rolls).
All three of these hit me, even although I have decent AC for my level, and all three inflicted infestation of maggots, 2 of which resulted in dropping below 3 Con.

The first one I found can be avoided.. once I've died to learn where it is.
The second one can also be avoided.. once I've died a second time to learn where it is.

Even the main boss of this dungeon is significantly easier than the GraveWorms(ab of 12/7 vs. 15/10, no damage reduction, no infestation of maggots on hit)

I'm not saying this thing necessarily needs a massive overhaul, but it should be in line with the rest of the dungeon. Having hidden mini-bosses which are notably stronger than the main boss of the dungeon, that ambush you in melee range, is not really balanced.

I think one or two of the following would be ideal:
-Swapping InfestationOfMaggots to an equal DC con reduction on hit.
-Lower DC on InfestationOfMaggots (remember that it's self-repeating, and each failed save increases your chance to fail the next)
-Lowering it's movement speed so people have a better chance of running away before being hit
-Lower AB (making it more in line with the main boss, you could even raise the main bosses AB at the same time)

-Or my personal favorite: making them not pop out of the ground, so someone can see it before being stuck in melee range with it; giving a chance to run away

PS: I won't claim my fort save is great, but I'm playing a monk; so it's not that bad. I get as much Fort from levels as a fighter would.