Abyss OP?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Dr_Hazard89

Abyss OP?

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:44 am

I popped down into the Abyss and seconds after stepping through the portal the mobs had shredded through three ancient water elementals, and I had to turn back.

Um. Is this intentional? Seems OP for a level 30 caster to not be able to step foot in there. Considering I was just there to get a little bit of silver (maybe gold if very lucky) I don't think I'll be returning o_o;
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Cortex

Re: Abyss OP?

Post by Cortex » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:50 am

It's having another bit of tweaking soon, but the abyss is likely to remain more difficult than before. It is THE Abyss after all.
:)

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:53 am

It's not OP, it's just not meant to be soloed. There may, however, be too little reward for the risk.

I can't say I know of anyone who bothers with that seizure inducing slog, so it may not be worth the time.

The only reason I've ever gone there was for adamantine way back in ye olden thymes. I'm led to believe that's gone now. Haven't visited since.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 am

Cortex wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:50 am
It's having another bit of tweaking soon, but the abyss is likely to remain more difficult than before. It is THE Abyss after all.
Understandable, but that's the most powerful base summon for soloing in the game and my character can't get any higher level. All three conj foci too.

Meanwhile my WM can clear the entire area effortlessly :|
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:55 am

PinataPlethora wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:53 am
It's not OP, it's just not meant to be soloed. There may, however, be too little reward for the risk.

I can't say I know of anyone who bothers with that seizure inducing slog, so it may not be worth the time.

The only reason I've ever gone there was for adamantine way back in ye olden thymes. I'm led to believe that's gone now. Haven't visited since.
It's no trouble soloing if you don't rely on summon.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:05 am

Dr_Hazard89 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:55 am
Sounds like it's not OP, then.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:12 am

Sounds like it's just not ideal for a pure caster. I recommend grouping up.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:15 am

PinataPlethora wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:53 am

I'm trying to address that issue as well, while resources are not my area, their EXP reward should be very good right now, to make up for the fact it's an unpredictable messy dungeon that isn't "loopable".
:)

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:26 am

Peppermint wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:12 am
Sounds like it's just not ideal for a pure caster. I recommend grouping up.
PinataPlethora wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:05 am
Dr_Hazard89 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:55 am
Sounds like it's not OP, then.
Right.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 am

Surely, if there's one place on the entire server that we really, really want any individual character to not feel comfortable randomly wander off to by themselves, it's the Abyss?

What good does it do for immersion when the actual Abyss is so mundane people feel like it's a great idea to stop by to grab some silver like it's the cornershop?

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:32 am

Rwby wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 am
Surely, if there's one place on the entire server that we really, really want any individual character to not feel comfortable randomly wander off to by themselves, it's the Abyss?

What good does it do for immersion when the actual Abyss is so mundane people feel like it's a great idea to stop by to grab some silver like it's the cornershop?
Yep. But isn't that undermined by the fact that a mundane character can still just as easily go there? This is only affecting characters that rely on a summon.

Shouldn't the plain old human warrior have a harder time than a ... master caster? I don't know. I don't care anymore at this point- It's fine. Lock the thread.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:45 am

No. A 30th level mundane doesn't represent some dude that's good with a sword. It represents, like, Hercules*. That's why they're the same level.

At any rate, you can go with a caster. You'll just have to change up your tactics.

(* In PnP, characters of this level can literally lift mountains and skate on clouds.)

Disciprine Come From Within

Post by Disciprine Come From Within » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:31 am

Not to be that guy, but... Dr Hazard does have a small point. Not in that casters > mundanes but in value of arcane casters in general especially at epic levels. I haven't seen the buffed abyss yet but I hated going there on my wizard. Everything there resists fire, magic, and lightning. Everything that you throw for damage. Most of them are mind immune so few spells work for crowd control. They're basically immune to magical attacks without SR except some of them have that. They have True Seeing so Invisibility and stealth don't work to your favor. And dispels can remove your precious guardian summons which is the only thing that seems useful. That ruins the feel of playing a wizard. Playing a wizard and setting up a spellbook should feel like you're really thinking about the area and you should feel rewarded for your efforts and punished for not thinking through the right spells for the situation. The abyss destroys that feeling. You're 100% useless except for functioning as a summoner.

There are a few other areas that also felt that way but none felt worse to me than the abyss. Maybe if Banishment/Dismissal felt useful as attack spells for outsiders or something. I don't know.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:40 am

Honestly that's not very different from any high level dungeon as a wizard and the abyss is no exception.

Optimal spellbook is imp invisibility, mind blank, and haste in every leftover slot you can fit it. That's true wizardry right there.

I think epic mummy dust is probably the only way to solo most places to grab something useful.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:46 am

Dr_Hazard89 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:32 am
Rwby wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 am

Yep. But isn't that undermined by the fact that a mundane character can still just as easily go there? This is only affecting characters that rely on a summon.

Shouldn't the plain old human warrior have a harder time than a ... master caster? I don't know. I don't care anymore at this point- It's fine. Lock the thread.
Oh yes. I'm of the rare view we should scale up the difficulty for mundaes, not down for casters.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:48 pm

I guess the title should have been 'Mundanes too OP' :roll:

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:31 pm

I honestly thought the extreme ineffectiveness of my character (and a common playstyle, caster) compared to others characters was an oversight. I regret having voiced any opinion/concerns at all.

Aftond

Post by Aftond » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:47 pm

Casters have such an easy time soloing, having some areas that aren't doable alone is good. Promotes finding others.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:22 pm

Locked on request of the op.