assembly templates

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Invader_Nym

assembly templates

Post by Invader_Nym » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:15 am

The assembly templates for ranged builds are awesome. I'd like to make one suggestion though. When a slot is occupied it "this slot is already occupied" when you try to replace it with a different essence/effect. Can we make it so that if the template's slot is already occupied, it gets over-written when you try to apply a new effect, similar to how a weapon's essence is over-written when you apply a different essence?

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: assembly templates

Post by The Kriv » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:49 pm

I'd like to give a +1 to this, and add that Arrow Templates need be more ubiquitous. Maybe the lowest of the templates available on NPC bow-merchants or added to the loot matrix.

Also, could some consideration to upping the Charges on the Templates before they go POOF! like maybe to 50 uses? These template things don't grow on trees. You have to actually hunt for one every couple of days to resupply (at least I do.)
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:59 pm

The Kriv wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:49 pm
I'd like to give a +1 to this, and add that Arrow Templates need be more ubiquitous. Maybe the lowest of the templates available on NPC bow-merchants or added to the loot matrix.

Also, could some consideration to upping the Charges on the Templates before they go POOF! like maybe to 50 uses? These template things don't grow on trees. You have to actually hunt for one every couple of days to resupply (at least I do.)
Isn't that the idea behind the Stable Templates? They stick around permanently. Plus there a couple of versions which are repairable now iirc.

I definitely +1 the overwriting idea though. It would be nice to upgrade your template if you find a better/new type of essence. Im surprised they don't work like this already tbh (hadn't tried it yet).

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:20 am

R0GUE wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:59 pm
The Kriv wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:49 pm

Isn't that the idea behind the Stable Templates? They stick around permanently. Plus there a couple of versions which are repairable now iirc.

I definitely +1 the overwriting idea though. It would be nice to upgrade your template if you find a better/new type of essence. Im surprised they don't work like this already tbh (hadn't tried it yet).
Stable are repairable, basic and (the other low level one) are infinite.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:33 am

These templates are a godsend. The 2nd tier template is permanent I believe, can be acquired fairly early, and can be relied on probably for most of your character's life.

I haven't tested the higher tier templates out, but if I understand, they're repairable?

I'm very pleased with where archers are at now. As I mentioned in my original post, one annoying thing is you have to deplete the essences currently on the thing in order to place a new one in it.

How about this? When there's only 1 unstable slot, and it's occupied, any new temp essence over-writes the original one.

When there's 2 unstable slots, and they're both occupied, applying any new essence over-writes the first unstable slot.

In any case, these templates are positively awesome, and brilliantly designed.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:02 pm

While stable essence slots will likely remain fixed, I will look into allowing an unstable slot to have its contents replaced before being depleted.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

The Kriv

Post by The Kriv » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:13 pm

"names" of the Arrows produced by the templates is a real problem. with amount of different types of arrows that are being created, with all manner of different essence combo's on them, locating the stack of arrows that has the specific elemental damage type is a big issue, at least for me.

Today, while hunting trolls, I had prepped appropriate arrows with 'fire' in the description name, which ended up burning through them (pun intended) ... but then my auto-load, of course, didn't load the right arrows, and suddenly the tough trolls that are slamming me with magic far far away (cuz by this time I'm pretty deep into them by now) I am pumping in arrow after arrow and for some reason they just aren't dying.... oh... right.. I see... my arrows no longer have FIRE or ACID on them... Dam. *begins to flee*

Having to physically activate my inventory, navigate to the correct page, right click a stack of arrows, then examine them (which of course calls up a large box-menu, simultaneously blocking my view of both where I am running as well as what is around me... then focus my attention on reading the list of elemental types, searching for that life-saving keyword "Fire"

*Phew* saved. Only went from 100% health to 25% health which had I not already had decent con score I wouldn't have had the HP reserve to survive the three times I got pinned in a corner before I located the right arrow stack.

I would like to suggest that to aleviate this that some SUPER-TEMPORARY elemental damage things be allowed to be applied to arrow stacks (not budndles... stacks) without the need of a Template.

For example: Alchemist Fire. Alchemist fire is a very short-term elemental buff that could be used for arrow amunition that is super-short term and already works for melee-weapons

And/Or.... how about ALL temporary essences that have the +1 damage can be applied to arrow stacks without the need for the intermediary device of an Arrow Template... I mean.. c'mon.. it's ONE point of additional damage.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:59 am

I like the idea of some sort of item widget that gives arrows different appearances similar to how boots can be adapted. It'd help manage the chaos of arrows.