Goblins of the Weald

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

yusuranis

Goblins of the Weald

Post by yusuranis » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:45 am

Hello there, i've been extensively looking at the Goblins within the Weald, and while the level range for the quest states anywhere between 0 to 6, its one of the starter quests you get, so usually you would have level three, four or maybe even five running through there.

Having faced these goblins myself i can say, i think they may be a tad overtuned for the intended level range. With attack bonuses reaching into the +16 range when flanking, and with consistantly hitting called shots as well as pretty good damage for their level. (Usually 10 to 20)\

Not only this but they have multiple attacks, which only those at the edge of that level range would have. Some even dual wield for more attacks!

While i don't think they need to be nerfed down into the ground, i do think for lower level characters, these guys should be toned down a little bit, they are on par with some higher level creatures. Unless one prepares extensively, these little buggers can get ya through even some good wards, like shield, improved invisiblity, and stoneskin.

I know we should fear our soon to be gobo overlords, but come on. Give us common folk a break.

Rwby

Re: Goblins of the Weald

Post by Rwby » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:24 pm

I actually thought as much when I first ran into them, as a die hard Cordorian it was my first visit to Skal and the goblins hit me for six. [Well, sixty actually and off to the fugue.] They are ~much~ scarier than the writ challenges in Cordor et al for a similar level.

If this means the writs in Cordor are too easy, or the ones in Skal is up to the devs to decide, but the challenges are certainly starkly disimilar.

DM Sollers

Post by DM Sollers » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:44 am

Hello.

From behind the curtain, I agree. The goblins in Skal's Weald are definitely a little over the intended power level for that area. Even when it's just 1 or 2 of them, I have still seen them mop the floor with a lot of player characters, whether solo or in a group. Usually, they spawn in groups of 3-6. Often, multiple groups end up spotting the players at once and start convening on their location like some freaky goblin kill squad.

Their damage, health or both could do to be reviewed.

DM Sollers
Be kind.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:32 am

Traveling through Skal on two characters now, I agree that the goblins are more akin to the Bullywug area in challenge which is a level range of 4-8 from the writ. A skilled, equipped & knowledgiable player will have few issues with them, but Skal is primarily "new player", and the area isn't merciful to players new to NWN.

Snypehunter007

Post by Snypehunter007 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:18 pm

DM Sollers wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:44 am
Hello.

From behind the curtain, I agree. The goblins in Skal's Weald are definitely a little over the intended power level for that area. Even when it's just 1 or 2 of them, I have still seen them mop the floor with a lot of player characters, whether solo or in a group. Usually, they spawn in groups of 3-6. Often, multiple groups end up spotting the players at once and start convening on their location like some freaky goblin kill squad.

Their damage, health or both could do to be reviewed.

DM Sollers
Oddly enough, I was in the Weald yesterday and all I saw in the goblin camp were Wargs. I made it all the way to the end (as a solo) and got wrecked by the leader's dire spider spawn.

How bad are the goblins in comparison to the Wargs?

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:19 pm

I'll dig out the goblin blueprints sometime this week and see about adjusting their difficulty to suit that level range.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.