The Cordorian Blight ~

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Lunargent

Re: The Cordorian Blight ~

Post by Lunargent » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:07 pm

If the DM in question had asked for feedback, it would be different. However, this thread was not started by a DM, asking for feedback. It was un-asked for, but it was such a blatant and direct criticism, not all of which was constructive in the least, and has now devolved into accusations of OOC collusion. If OP had any interest of it being construed as constructive, matters should have been kept vague/general or otherwise private.

That is the difference between "constructive" and "classless".

Vodka Musician

Post by Vodka Musician » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:09 pm

It is pretty clear said DM was put down by this thread which is saddening. So, the assertion the criticism has been constructive does not seem true. Initial reading resembled a CaLlOuT~ thread to me.

Pav

Post by Pav » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:13 pm

As someone who butted his head in the last mile of the plot as a nosey Paladin, I have to say I enjoyed the event. I feel most of the confrontational posts in this thread are baseless and almost outrageous. DMs are people too, and no one is perfect.

We should all remember this is a game and not a life or death matter.

As an aside, I agree with Vodka Musician - it was enjoyable to witness from the outside, especially as someone who helped cause it once upon a time (on a different character!) through player initiative. Well done to the crew of yesterday, and well done to the crew of today. :D

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:16 pm

If my criticism wasn't constructive, I don't know what constructive criticism is.

DM Chiliad, I'm sorry for some of the responses you received in this thread. I don't agree with them in spirit.

I only wanted to give my input (which was solicited!). I really hope you're not discouraged by the terseness of some of these responses. <3
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Bryce Silver-Wind

Post by Bryce Silver-Wind » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:19 pm

I understand what the OP was going for in making this thread, but I personally think this would have been better handled in a PM or asking for an OOC meeting IG, rather then calling the DM's out here in the forums and causing distress to our DMs that are donating their time to us. These don't belong on the forums, and really this is one of the posts that should be locked. Anyone with concerns, suggestions or such regarding how a DM runs events, should contact them directly, cause as far as I can see, this falls under naming and shaming which isn't cool under any circumstances.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:19 pm

DM Titania wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:49 pm
With both previous responses from our team in mind, a more general question: What sort of stories would you possible like to see in the future?
I for one would like to to see a trend away from server-wide events towards a focus on smaller-scale storylines that players propose to DMs, with a focus on particular factions or settlements. These are always more fun and interesting, in my experience, and provide opportunities for character development that large-scale events do not. Indeed, I think there is merit in the idea of discontinuing server-wide events entirely. While the idea may be to involve everyone, it never turns out that way, because the plot is invariably advanced by the actions of a group of popular epic characters. To be honest, there has never been a server-wide event that I have enjoyed. Smaller-scale events focused around smaller groups of players also give the latter more input into what happens, whereas the former always have a feel of being at the whim of the DMs. The resolution almost always involves slaying epic badguys, which most people can't do.

I remember an event a year and a half ago where the boss was a souped up version of Paush. I had a lower level character, and my efforts to get involved inevitably resulted in me having to respawn.

Large-scale events also do not bring out the best roleplay. They usually result in huge crowds of people clamoring for the spotlight, and it's painful and somewhat embarrassing to witness.

tl;dr: no more server-wide events. Focus exclusively on small events for certain factions, settlements, or groups of players.
Last edited by Dr. B on Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:32 pm

The best experiences I've had were small (5-10 players) events. Mostly, from what I've noticed, the server-wide events tend to just be people crowding an area and talking over each other, and I get dizzy and lost in the dialogue, and just end up leaving. It's a great way to make a character, and by extent her player (me!), feel small and useless. xD

Also, I have to apologize for my earlier remark concerning certain players stealing the spotlight; it came out wrong. What I should have said was that, in large events like these, characters who are already established tend to (just by nature of them being established) take center stage. Which is fine, for the most part (especially if they actually have power/precedence in a community or faction), but I think in that case it's more on those players than the DMs to make sure everyone else is having a good time, which is the mark of a good roleplayer. Recent experiences that have rubbed against this grain have made me a little... irate, sorry.

As I was saying, I agree with more small, faction-oriented events, but not exclusively. Titania absolutely rocks at little events (as I'm sure the others do, too), and I have to stop myself from PMing them with all the myriad ideas I have haha. Titania is an absolute asset to this server/community and has been involved in most of the really fun events I've been a part of.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:10 pm

I think the very nature of how plagues work might play a large part of why it felt so difficult to get involved or affect things - plagues tend to have a large impact while, at the same time, encourage keeping participants to a minimum, thanks to the fact that plagues are contageous and getting more people involved means there's more people who can be infected. A plague plot kind of forces the majority of participants to keep themselves safe and wait for the cure that only a few people can work on. Hence my earlier suggestion for an NPC who collects plot-relevant items that give progress towards a goal that'll progress the storyline further in some way.

I do agree with the OP's initial point that it's not fun feeling like all you can do is sit on the sidelines waiting for a few characters to save the day, but I don't think it's the fault of the DMs, and I certainly don't think they're deliberately trying to create that kind of scenario. I hope my earlier posts didn't come off as too harsh or being callouts (that wasn't the intent at all) and I apologize if they did.

As for feedback regarding this specific plot, there was only one event I was part of so I can only give feedback for that. I think Chilliad did an amazing job getting people involved in the event I participated in. There were at least three? separate groups that I could make out who all managed to affect the scene somehow - the Tower group doing magic stuff, some Kelemvorites doing a last rites kind of thing, a few people comforting the DM NPC, and that's not counting all of the unaffiliated ones who were fighting back the ooze and investigating.

I think the whole scene worked out so well because, like I mentioned in a previous post, the players all took the hooks that the DM provided, and then helped pull each other in. There were no "WE DON'T KNOW YOU, GET OUT" demands or "The Guild of So and So will handle everything, move along citizens". Everyone reacted together and interacted together and it made for something that was enjoyable to participate in and enjoyable to watch.
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

Atlantahammy

Post by Atlantahammy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:54 am

Aye! You handled it best ya could of Chillad, did the best you could and thats all that can be expected, and as well as experience gained, and I am glad Astra could help in what ways she could...

And speaking as an artist, not everyone's negative criticisms are constructive, or criticism for that matter, some are just plain negativity, I'd focus more on the ones that offer help and advice, cause those are the ones that will actually help!

Shifting through the nasty ones is.. always a hassle.. Believe me. Can be worth it in the end though~ I do see alot of good ones on here, but it will mostly be up too you, which you choose to accept.

I do agree though this, shoulda been handled in a pm or something, not out in the open to drag you though the mud.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:56 am

I haven't been involved in this plot at all. I've got my elbows buried in some other things. But I thought I'd comment on the nature of DM events and interactions as I have perceived them on this server.

First things first- it has ALWAYS been about being in the right place at the right time, and that is something that takes effort on a player's part (usually of a cooperative nature).

Moving on, a glance at the Active DM's group tells me there are 16 DM's. Let's consider this for a moment, and consider the player count of this server. Consider how long a one on one conversation with someone can take at times depending on typing speed. Often-times, I imagine a DM can be most productive by focusing on the people in their immediate vicinity so as to not get overwhelmed- i.e. those people who manage to put themselves in the right place at the right time.

The player to DM ratio here is overwhelmingly staggering to me, having DM'd at other places. I have NEVER been anywhere else where the DM's were outnumbered by a ratio that can exceed 10 to 1(with the 1 being the ENTIRE active roster of DM's, not the ones actually logged at any given moment during the day).

World-spanning events are sometimes the only way to make sure everyone gets a chance to get involved. For example- from this thread, I have gathered that if I go to Cordor and investigate and spend enough time on the subject, I will eventually learn some stuff about the plague.

That's not collusion- it's inevitability. Just like it is inevitable that anyone whose response to an event is to walk away from it that they will never have a good experience from it because they won't be part of it.

This is not said with judgment, but in hopes it may help those with that mentality to reflect on the opportunities they may be denying themselves.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:17 am

It's not uncommon for a large server to see DM:player ratios as such, and it's also not uncommon for, of that DM team ,for one specific section of them to be doing what, comparably, is the lion's share of the work. This also means that a comparatively small section of the already comparatively small section gets a very large portion of the vocal feedback regarding things.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:19 am

Not that I'd know if this relates to the current plague stuff (because I haven't involved myself), but I've always liked events that if I don't like it, I can comfortably step out or at least continue with other stuff uninterrupted. The one event I can think of that was unavoidable without being intrusive was the Crown of Horns arc, which remains a masterpiece in my eyes (that was six years ago jesus christ).
:)

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:48 am

have there been people flaming the DM's over this? :/ im seeing a lot of people appologising for.. something... but no posts that seem to suggest a reason for such an outpouring.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:10 am

Diilicious wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:48 am
have there been people flaming the DM's over this? :/ im seeing a lot of people appologising for.. something... but no posts that seem to suggest a reason for such an outpouring.
Since you seem confused, your initial post was unconstructive in its feedback. Generally that's a bad thing.

Huschpfusch

Post by Huschpfusch » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:03 am

Something to be aware of when starting to get bored by DM events and stories:
Long-lasting big storylines provide two opportunities for roleplay:
Nr. 1 the storyarch itself - the plot of which most likely will be advanced by a few players stumbling into DM events only and many other people apparently missing out on it
Nr. 2 the general backdrop - which can be used by just about any player to create their charcter´s own personal plot and experience.

E.g. Plague
So there is no DM event going on right now - your character can still pretend he/she wants to help the city by grabbing coal and other supplies to shove into the City´s warehouse. (No making of healing potions without glass, no glass without coal and sand).
Your character is a cleric who cannot heal the disease - well that is perfect opportunity to roleplay him questioning his belief and choice of profession.
Your character is a fighter type eager to do something - might just start running around on his writs and pretend he is investigating the dungeons for clues where disease originated.
Or neatly jump on the occasion to make an entire new character weaving the dm-storyline into your character´s personal background story.
Fat chance you will eventually run into someone else bored and eager to do something also and who will be all to happy to join in your roleplay.

It is all make-belief after all. And playing on a persistent world is like playing in a sandbox in kindergarden. Children dont need a nanny always to entertain them. Nanny storytelling-hour is fun too. But children have tons of imaginative power to keep them going until they run out of energy and basically just drop out due to exhaustion.
It is a good idea to adapt the very same child-like mentality when playing on a persistent world. Can have much more fun that way.

----

By the way, with the "Wrath of Lolth" apparently not having happened in Arelithian timeline and the "Tomb of Annihilation" being released in Sept. 2017 it was very much to be expected something like a divinie-magic-interfering plague-story would be hitting Arelith sooner than later.
Compared to what is going on in tabletop what our characters had to endure online was rather mild.
So everyone going yadda-yadda-blah-blah about not being able to casually heal that plague: hit the tabletop-desk with a Tomb of Annihilation session. :lol:
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... nihilation
"Oh look, an unidentified magical wand - let`s just see what it does by randomly using it in battle!"

Ramza

Post by Ramza » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Well, all of this is generally trying to push a narrative that really isn't player driven. Much like apparent sudden chance in policy in Sibayad, or the sudden emergence of a King of Cordor. The Admins/staff want things one way despite what other players try to do. Which leaves you with a choice of giving them the big old 'I really dont care i'm going to continue doing this' and likely get some pretty humerous enforcement (I'm looking at you immortal tagged and uberbuffed NPCs). Or you can choose to ignore it entirely and do something else with your time. Depends on what you want to try and do at the end of day.
Last edited by Ramza on Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Ork wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:10 am
Diilicious wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:48 am
Since you seem confused, your initial post was unconstructive in its feedback. Generally that's a bad thing.
No i asked if people had been flaming the staff over this which is obviously a bad thing, not whether or not my post was constructive, my post reflected quite accurately how tired I am of plague storylines and was not a reflection on any person or staff member.

If people are flaming the staff they obviously need to give over, but if nobody was then theres no reason to appologise.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:51 pm

While I am not any of the DMs in question, if I was, I might have been hurt by your words.

Food for thought.

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:15 pm

This thread was warned once. Feedback and critque is always welcomed and encouraged. Derailment of giving feedback on others feedback and the general tone displayed isn't welcomed, though. The DMs have responded and asked questions. As have many players.

If you have further feedback, be it positive or negative on the original topic, I ask you take it to PMing the DM(s) so your voice can still be heard.

If people wish to give feedback on events or ask questions in regards to how all DM events are ran, make a new thread or just message the DMs directly.