rearranging the char creation screens in arelith entry

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Tourmaline

Re: rearranging the char creation screens in arelith entry

Post by Tourmaline » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:51 am

Not only accessible RP-wise, but humans are also lacking the constraints of being expected to live up to the stereotype. If you push against the limits of what people think almost any other race is supposed to be you're sure to get told you're doing it wrong. This is especially so in the underdark.

That's not something unique to Arelith or likely to change. In a way, I think it's a reason why humans in Anundor is a good thing, though.. They're wild cards like no other race can really be.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:43 am

Just to the OP, this is not happening. Your view of Andunor, like DM Sollers suggested, needs to change. Today the outcasts have power, tomorrow they are a weaker group than the drow, perhaps. But only if you work to that on an IC level (Preferably enjoyable for all) rather than ask for it to be done for you.
Please don't feed my sister.

Higher

Post by Higher » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:32 pm

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Drow are pretty underwhelming mechanically tbh. I think it'd be fine if their ECL was reduced by 1.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:15 pm

You're gonna get told that scaling SR is "super stronk". Here's my experience with it:
SR is stronger than most people realize, but weaker than the gift system values it at.

It's only real lasting advantage is when fighting spellcasters beneath your level, which will likely only be in PvP unless you like to grind slowly for some reason. In the Underdark, you do sometimes see this but not very often, and when you do it's often because lower levels are following level 30's into PvP. Which brings me to my next point:

In practice, it means almost jack-diddly on an equal playing field. While leveling, it rarely comes into play because it can be reliably penetrated, unless you're again, sub-optimally grinding on creatures of equal or lower level than you.

I've taken both a Human and several Drow to level 30 in the Underdark and I can honestly say the Spell Resistance made zero difference. If anything, I had an easier time with the Human. I'd gladly trade it for a Major gift, because to me it's been pretty useless, but "YMMV".

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:33 pm

It's near UMD-proof. The 26 SR helmet isn't highly treasured for nothing.
:)

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:41 pm

Wasn't Drow Spell Resistance originally limited to 32 because that's the maximum possible on creature hide items?

I have seen Wild Surges increase SR to scores way beyond that.
By using similar means of scripting, perhaps Drow SR could be adjusted to resume scaling according to its current formula (10 + level) up to a maximum of 40 Spell Resistance at level 30, thus acting similar to a permanent Spell Resistance spell.

That would certainly make it valuable, even at high epics - and it would be fitting, lore-wise:

"Drow had a tremendous resistance to magic. During infancy, this resistance fluctuated between almost non-existent and youth-level, which stabilized when they grew up to be youths. It increased again when they grew into full adults and could be trained even further."

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:44 pm

@ Cortex - On paper that's absolutely tits but in practice I eat way more Words of Faith, Balagarn's, and Darkness from natural casters than potions or scrolls and consequently I'd still rather have an option to trade away SR for a gift. It has never afford me any 'peace of mind' and I had no problems with my Human that wound up in more PvP than my Drow. See: "YMMV". Scaling SR's usefulness is very, very situational, but a Gift is forever, and thus I do not see them as equal.

The cool thing about that helmet is you can take it off and put it back on, switching out to something of equal or greater value depending on need.

@ Kalopsia - I think it's capped at 32 in PnP (might be wrong) and honestly if you pump it up any higher it will very quickly become OP. That's why the original SR gift was so bonkers, flat 32 SR at level 3 meant you wouldn't have to (mostly) worry about enemy spellcasters until epics.