Bard - Warlock

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Da Cat

Bard - Warlock

Post by Da Cat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:03 pm

Hello there. I don't mean to be mean or rude when l say what i'm about to say. So for those who think l'm an Snuggybear for this, I'm sorry. *nods.* I just use to LOVE this Path more then any other path. And played it WAY more then any other player.

{Not sure if this is the place for this}

I wish to know who was the person who came up with the set of spells for both sides, because what l noticed is that both sides are very much messed up in terms of what they get, and what they should have. Now l know in the past Abyssal and Infernal use to be the two weakest of the three as Fey would be the strongest one to go with due to the power they use to get from the staff.

But with the shift away from the staff to using just base spells is nice, though l miss the staff over all. Y_Y But now there isn't much of a point to play the Fey over the other two as it became the weakest. Sure if you can land a hit and stun something you may get lucky and live. But its not so easy with 3-5 things running at you. . . Now l'm not saying the other two doesn't have they same problem they do as well, just not as bad.

This path was more or less meant to be played on its own in the past as being a Pact character meant that anyone who knows might end up killing them for it. Or try to anyway. In the past they use to be able to at least protect themselves, even after the shift away from their powerful staff. Both sides are missing spells, or shouldn't even have some spells like Fey with Dirge, when they should get Dominate Monster at 25. And why give Abyssal/Infernal Ice Storm over Gate? They don't even get Cold damage, Fey should get Ice storm.

Even the order the spells are messed up for Fey, though Abyssal/Infernal are not so bad. A few minor changes and it would be nearly perfect. But its like the DM team just crapped on the Fey. Either because they rushed it, hated it for having fought it in the past and lost, or just didn't honestly cared for it.

I feel that this Path should fixed or set back to the old Warlock. When l see a warlock l just want to cry because l know just how much hate they got over the years. I'd rather just see this Path be fully removed rather then see it get even worse then what it is now.

I hate to have to say this, but some one has to say something and who some love for it. Though l do see what is trying to be done with it. Abyssal/infernal being the melee summoner, while Fey being the caster type. Its a nice touch, but its failing badly. people who asked me in the past about it l would just tell them to pick something else. Not even answering them because there just wasn't a point.

"In the past a Warlock/Witch was able to freely go to any area they wanted and feel safe knowing they could either kill, dom, hide, or run from anything they came in contact with. NOW? . . . Unless your a demon, or devil type, your better off just oocly joining a friend to have him/her help you grind your lvls, or just not play it because you wont live through much." {Cat in a Hat}

Rwby

Re: Bard - Warlock

Post by Rwby » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:06 pm

I feel it worth noting that the DM Team [Unless things have changed] has no say or involvement over class design and balence desisions. [At least no more say than any other player.]

I ~think~ both the orginal Warlock design and the redesign were both authored by our very own Mithreas. Don't quote me on that. I want to say Peppermint might have helped with the redesign, but I'm even less sure of that.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:08 am

The original and the redesign were Mithreas.

I later rebalanced warlocks over a few iterations (i.e. summons toned down, cooldowns added, dispels nerfed, blast damage toned down).

At the time, warlocks were in 'close to a good spot', but still a bit overtuned. I'd proposed a solution to the team (which was approved and posted in the contributors forum at the time, and would have mostly involved decoupling damage from dispel blasts/some Feylock disablers and putting restrictions on Mass Haste), but another solution was pursued instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if warlocks were given another go soon, though. They're certainly in an awkward place.

Duchess_Says

Post by Duchess_Says » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:00 pm

"I wish to know who was the person who came up with.." doesn't seem like a healthy approach. Your points are all very valid but I don't see why someone has to be held personally responsible especially since someone else would likely be doing any warlock revamp.