Unique Weapons

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Richørd

Unique Weapons

Post by Richørd » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:54 am

Greetings,

I'd just like to say that it's weird for many weapon types to not have some sort of craftable, unique weapon (calling them UWs from now on). While I enjoy being one of the very few actual halberdiers on the server ("Daddy, look! I'm a special boy!") I still think that it's strange to have several weapon types with absolutely no UW options. If ,for example, one takes a look at the forging recipes , it seems like orogs and half-orcs are overrepresented with the high amounts of UWs they are being offered while certain other weapon types have barely anything going for them, besides making sense for your characters RP / style.

I'd also like to know why that's the case and if the team plans on implementing more UWs, so that each weapon type would end up with some high-end recipe users can work towards to.

I also need to point out that I'm not suggesting race-neutral weapons for each weapontype. I think it is okay for certain weapons to be associated with certain races (whipping drows for example) or allignments.
Last edited by Richørd on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColorMeLucky

Re: Unique Weapons

Post by ColorMeLucky » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:16 pm

This seems like a good to me. Long I've looked at the crafting list and felt
"Ah, I love this weapon, but there's no gold at the end of the rainbow"

Having some lesser versions of diety's favored weapons could be fun too~
Current characters: Mach S. Fryar, Vastin
"I am Silnyir the Silver, and the Frostblades are my scales, wings and breath; and I will be it's heart."
- Mach
"Two hands on the job, that's what Pa says!"
- Vastin

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:02 pm

-simply pushing this. it seems like everything else in the Feedback section is suffering under the rule of a certain other thread :P

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:08 am

Crafting recipes are steadily added over time, just as loot is rotated.

I think the lack of a decent halberd is a good point, and may see something added eventually.

We'll see, but keep in mind that neither crafting or loot is static.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:15 am

Irongron wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:08 am

I think the lack of a decent halberd is a good point, and may see something added eventually.

It's not just the halberds, as you surely know there are a ton of weapon types that have no UW recipes currently.

But it's interesting and good to hear that they rotate from time to time, thanks for the reply!

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:07 am

Irongron wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:08 am

Is there any plan to add decent (say) longswords that aren't racial-locked? One of my biggest gripes is elves/dwarves/orogs/etc have these neat weapons that encourage variety outside of scimitar/rapier, but humans usually can't use them. Additionally, the lack of cultural character is kind of disappointing -- There's no Thayvian or Halruaan mage products, no Illuskan or Ruathym axes, no Sembian or Amnian stilettos, etc.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:11 am

I thought the thing was with humans being the best and most populous race, they didn't need a 'human' weapon

I personally like that some races are just better at some things then human, and making better blacksmiths is just a good part of the server.
\

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:44 am

I want so many neat Snuggybear cultural weapons that encourage variety in builds

A luskan rapier/dagger set made for sword/daggering

Ruathym axes

Chessentan pikes and spears and shields

even specific racial cultural types - a wood elven longbow, a gold dwarf hammer, a duergar shield, just all sorts of stuff that doesn't necessarily need to be hyper race locked

honeslty I'm just asuck for more item shit, I'd love to see the blue-name stuff expanded more as well, since with artifacts gone, RNG gear got a little more homogenized.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:39 am

Chultan shields and spears.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:34 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:11 am
I thought the thing was with humans being the best and most populous race, they didn't need a 'human' weapon

I personally like that some races are just better at some things then human, and making better blacksmiths is just a good part of the server.
you don't need sugar on your oatmeal, but it tastes better with it.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:51 pm

Good god, man. What kind of vile beast eats oatmeal with sugar.

Weppins mair pleise.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

flower

Post by flower » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:05 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:11 am

That...and with rune systém IG, runed M.D. scimitar may prove better option to current moonblade...

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Yeah sorry I don't really see a reason to give the best, most versatile race, most populous race, racial weapons.

Most of which they can use anyway with UMD.
\

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:11 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:16 pm
Yeah sorry I don't really see a reason to give the best, most versatile race, most populous race, racial weapons.

Most of which they can use anyway with UMD.
I would also not give UW to humans only.

But check the list of UWs and then see how many weapon types are missing them as of right now.
In the end it's no problem anyways, Irongron already came in here and gave a good and satisfying reply.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:54 am

I'm not saying "make a human-only longsword" I'm saying "wow, it'd be nice if my human could use a longsword without shooting himself in the foot like elves can".
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

FoxyPigeon

Post by FoxyPigeon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:38 am

I'd love to see more unique craftables added for those weapons that rarely ever get used; like flails, sickles, maces, etc.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Some weapon catagories that I think need some love?

Heavy Flails
Maces
Clubs
Halberds
Whips
Shuriken/Darts

These weapons are difficult to use mechanically, as more attractive, less awkwardly designed weapons are avaliable. As far as I know, there aren't any high-end weapons for these types of weapons, either. The highest whip i've seen is the Illithid tentacle whip, for example, which is pretty underwhelming, especially considering the fact you need to kill mindflayers to get the materials for it.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Heavy flail is not entirely garbage, it is still a downgrade in the sense it's 2 damage less than a greatsword.
Maces/clubs are so awkward that there's no way to make them good without making really bloated weaponry.
Halberds also aren't bad, it's -1 damage compared to greataxe, and there's at least the benefit of being a subdual weapon.
Whips are inexcusably bad.
Shurikens have the arguement that can be extremely solid for corner sneak attacking as a monk, its downfall is that getting ammo for it is absolutely annoying.
Darts are almost decent... suffers the same ammo issue shuriken does, its advantage is that high STR characters can catch running near death low AC PCs in PvP, can't think of much other use.

Adding new stuff to the craft list can be a bit tricky, personally I think there's enough high UMD exclusive racial stuff for now, and if there was to be new stuff, I'd be in favor of more widely avaiable/lower UMD items.

On the other hand, I've been making new serviceable loot items, at least one for each weapon type. I've seen one of them in a shop already.
:)

Werde

Post by Werde » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Rapier!!

Especially since the new rogue changes made it a very appealing weapon.

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:40 am

Raipers are already the best base weapon in ther server hands down.

Heavy Flail is a very decent weapon and I belive it's better than greatsword if you intend to level at UD, still I think something for gnolls would be nice and suiting in theme since their god uses a flail.

I'd love to see powerful daggers for imps and feys. Making those races competetive in melee too.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:05 am

I guess what all of us really want are unique "end-game crafting recipes" for every weapon type.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:14 am

I think they lose some of their 'Uniqueness' then.

Otherwise it just goes, Bronze,Steel, Damask, 'Unique', and unique might as well be replaced with 'Super Masterly Damask.'

What I do like is the racial themed random weapons that give out nice cookies to underused weapons if you're playing a thematic class. - IE, the Moonblade.

I'm pretty sure there's already a Drow Whip ~ If not, this would also be good, and the Drow Crossbow is another excellent example.

On my wishlist next would be a Fey Dagger. Though there are so few Fey, and of those Fey so few who would reasonably need a dagger the reward/vs coding time does seem off.

flower

Post by flower » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:26 pm

Unique weapons were added to encourage people to play given races or to break from cliche of meta and build their elves/xx more in way the races in and are (like elves using longswords mostly).

If unique items are put into game again this time for all, it would render the point of previous racial items and you would need to come up with something else to encourage people to play something different than human (with free feat, free skill points and two major gifts)...

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Richørd wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:05 am
I guess what all of us really want are unique "end-game crafting recipes" for every weapon type.
Masterly damask is endgame gear with essence. With the runecrafting system they can even be upgraded a bit.

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Jagel wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:42 pm
Richørd wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:05 am
Masterly damask is endgame gear with essence. With the runecrafting system they can even be upgraded a bit.
I think the Elder Dream or any of the half-orc / orog weapons would disagree.
It is relatively easy to get a masterly damask weapon.

Farming multiple mithril dusts and other high rarity materials is something else.

Otherwise we could use the exact same arguments for armors and ask "Why do other armors besides basic adamantine plate even exist?"