Unique Weapons

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Cortex

Re: Unique Weapons

Post by Cortex » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:15 pm

A keened masterly scimitar is on par, and maybe above the others.
:)

flower

Post by flower » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:59 pm

All you need for farming high end materials is epic level and few circles in dungeons.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:29 pm

Cortex wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:15 pm
A keened masterly scimitar is on par, and maybe above the others.
Except for the orog swords.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:36 pm

True. But they require exotic prof. to use so there is that.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Jagel wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:36 pm
True. But they require exotic prof. to use so there is that.
Greatsword doesn't.
Sofawiel wrote:
Dont text eggplants.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:39 pm

Also true. But greatsword leaves you with no shield. A scim wm with masterly damask and tower shield performs better overall than orog wm with greatsword.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:40 pm

Jagel wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:39 pm
Also true. But greatsword leaves you with no shield. A scim wm with masterly damask and tower shield performs better overall than orog wm with greatsword.
Apples compared to oranges?

The orog greatsword is superior in AB and damage to a keen MD greatsword (by 1 AB and 4 DMG).
The orog bastard sword is (to all intents and purposes) a straight up craftable keen MD bastard sword with one more AB.

In both cases, they are a direct upgrade to the MD (and even keen MD) weapons of the same type.
Not that there is anything wrong with this as such.
Sofawiel wrote:
Dont text eggplants.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:26 pm

You can say apples and oranges.

Of course the orog versions of the greatsword/bastard sword are slightly better than a keen masterly damask greatsword/bastard sword. No arguing there.

When it comes to using these weapons, I think my argument holds up. There are two variations of these weapons and they can only be wielded by a specific race. One is twohanded, the other requires exotic weapon prof.

To any character that is not an orog, bastard sword and greatsword are not the optimal choice of weapons.

Anyways, by all means add more unique weapons but I do like that they encourage the use of the less popular/powerful weapons or have class/race restrictions to avoid power creep.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:47 pm

A weapon so large only large creatures can wield it. Possibly manifested in the form of a giant tree branch of just dropping a giant boulder on someone.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Rwby wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:14 am
I think they lose some of their 'Uniqueness' then.

Otherwise it just goes, Bronze,Steel, Damask, 'Unique', and unique might as well be replaced with 'Super Masterly Damask.'

What I do like is the racial themed random weapons that give out nice cookies to underused weapons if you're playing a thematic class. - IE, the Moonblade.

I'm pretty sure there's already a Drow Whip ~ If not, this would also be good, and the Drow Crossbow is another excellent example.

On my wishlist next would be a Fey Dagger. Though there are so few Fey, and of those Fey so few who would reasonably need a dagger the reward/vs coding time does seem off.
The drow crossbow(the new one, the one with manticore spikes can be scrubbed from the crafting matrix) is pretty good, but I've never seen anyone actually build around it. Its a good secondary weapon for getting a few potshots in before closing for melee, which I've seen it used for.

But the primary difference between the drow whips(Lolth's Blessing and La'laskra's Torment) and the moonblades, is that the former are very rare loot drops, and the latter can be crafted. You cannot/should not build around those whips, because it can be months before one hits the market, and I've never seen one sell for less than 120,000. Thats not to say those whips aren't good(for whips), but there is a degree of certainty to building around a moonblade. A determined individual with the right contacts and deep enough pockets CAN get their hands on a moonblade, with certainty. With the whips, its a crapshoot. I wholeheartedly support adding the drow whips to the crafting menu.

Maces need love badly, in general, not even just for certain races. They are just flat subpar compared to virtually anything.

I wholeheartedly support any attempt to shift the server meta from wielding scimmys or rapiers. Its pretty absurd that with the exception of the orogs, all of the server's races are united in their overwhelming use of these for 80% of melee builds.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by R0GUE » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:52 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:12 pm

The drow crossbow(the new one, the one with manticore spikes can be scrubbed from the crafting matrix) is pretty good, but I've never seen anyone actually build around it. Its a good secondary weapon for getting a few potshots in before closing for melee, which I've seen it used for.

I was trying to build around the drow crossbows (more the Web based one though, although either would be nice) but as a first time player on Arelith, I didn't realize how hard it would be as a surfacer to find a drow crafter and/or someone who would sell one. And it should be difficult, I am not arguing otherwise, I just didn't realize it when I first joined. So I've had to shift my character's weapon focus midstream - but oh well.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:07 pm

R0GUE wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:52 pm
Durvayas wrote:

I was trying to build around the drow crossbows (more the Web based one though, although either would be nice) but as a first time player on Arelith, I didn't realize how hard it would be as a surfacer to find a drow crafter and/or someone who would sell one. And it should be difficult, I am not arguing otherwise, I just didn't realize it when I first joined. So I've had to shift my character's weapon focus midstream - but oh well.

There is a huge UMD required to use it.

Drow crossbow is one of the most hilarious racial weapons.

As for whip being sold for 120k+. In Andunor, buying M.Damascus weapon, unless you are a smith and have smith friend, you often pay between 80 000 - 150 000 coins.... :lol:

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Rwby wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:14 am
I think they lose some of their 'Uniqueness' then.

Otherwise it just goes, Bronze,Steel, Damask, 'Unique', and unique might as well be replaced with 'Super Masterly Damask.'

What I do like is the racial themed random weapons that give out nice cookies to underused weapons if you're playing a thematic class. - IE, the Moonblade.

I'm pretty sure there's already a Drow Whip ~ If not, this would also be good, and the Drow Crossbow is another excellent example.

On my wishlist next would be a Fey Dagger. Though there are so few Fey, and of those Fey so few who would reasonably need a dagger the reward/vs coding time does seem off.

But the primary difference between the drow whips(Lolth's Blessing and La'laskra's Torment) and the moonblades, is that the former are very rare loot drops, and the latter can be crafted. You cannot/should not build around those whips, because it can be months before one hits the market, and I've never seen one sell for less than 120,000. Thats not to say those whips aren't good(for whips), but there is a degree of certainty to building around a moonblade. A determined individual with the right contacts and deep enough pockets CAN get their hands on a moonblade, with certainty. With the whips, its a crapshoot. I wholeheartedly support adding the drow whips to the crafting menu.

Maces need love badly, in general, not even just for certain races. They are just flat subpar compared to virtually anything.

I wholeheartedly support any attempt to shift the server meta from wielding scimmys or rapiers. Its pretty absurd that with the exception of the orogs, all of the server's races are united in their overwhelming use of these for 80% of melee builds.
there are two other higher whips for drow, scourge of the matrons and spider queens wrath, wrath is on sale currently for 750000 spiders ni andunor and my toon has one found on a dungeon crawl. scourge i have never seen, it is only mentioned in the desc for wrath as being a step above wrath. Both of these of course are drops only.

the biggest issue is drow need the exotic feat for free on creation, since it is in their lore with whips and other exotic weapons.
ilthids tentacle is way under in its benefits for what is needed to craft one

and maybe humans need too have their gifts looked at depending on which background they choose. for instance why should born outcasts have the same skills as surface ones. it might help reduce the number of outcast backgrounds taken purely for being able to roam freely everywhere
Yes I can sign

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:28 pm
Durvayas wrote:

there are two other higher whips for drow, scourge of the matrons and spider queens wrath, wrath is on sale currently for 750000 spiders ni andunor and my toon has one found on a dungeon crawl. scourge i have never seen, it is only mentioned in the desc for wrath as being a step above wrath. Both of these of course are drops only.

the biggest issue is drow need the exotic feat for free on creation, since it is in their lore with whips and other exotic weapons.
ilthids tentacle is way under in its benefits for what is needed to craft one

and maybe humans need too have their gifts looked at depending on which background they choose. for instance why should born outcasts have the same skills as surface ones. it might help reduce the number of outcast backgrounds taken purely for being able to roam freely everywhere
Right. Spider Queen's Wrath is the one I mixed up with Lolth's Blessing. Its been so long since I saw one I forgot the name.

But Exotic proficiency being an innate part of the drow would actually be great and improve thematics. Drow use a LOT of exotic weapons in canon, especially the whips and double bladed swords.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
That's not particularly true. Only the priestesses or fanatics use the whip as a main-weapon, otherwise their racial proficiencies with weapons represent the ones they use the most in the lore:
Weapon Proficiency: A drow is automatically proficient with the hand crossbow, the rapier, and the short sword.
Whips certainly are prevalent in the culture, but not as a main weapon, rather a tool of punishment, discipline or just excessive sadism, something that in the P&P you wouldn't need weapon focus for since anyone can pick up a whip and whip someone (Just wouldn't be very good at it in combat).

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:04 pm

Nitro wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:58 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
That's not particularly true. Only the priestesses or fanatics use the whip as a main-weapon, otherwise their racial proficiencies with weapons represent the ones they use the most in the lore:
Weapon Proficiency: A drow is automatically proficient with the hand crossbow, the rapier, and the short sword.
Whips certainly are prevalent in the culture, but not as a main weapon, rather a tool of punishment, discipline or just excessive sadism, something that in the P&P you wouldn't need weapon focus for since anyone can pick up a whip and whip someone (Just wouldn't be very good at it in combat).
but we dont have hand crossbows or special drow short swords able for crafting or even drops

and it wouldnt be just for whips, but all exotics and you cannot pick up a whip and use it without the exotic prof
Yes I can sign

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:38 pm

flower wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:07 pm
R0GUE wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:52 pm
Durvayas wrote:

I was planning on even taking ESF: UMD but I think I'll be better off with my new build.

I might do a drow crossbow sniper some other time.

Kaeldre

Post by Kaeldre » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:04 am

Ebonstar wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:04 pm
Nitro wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:58 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
but we dont have hand crossbows or special drow short swords able for crafting or even drops

and it wouldnt be just for whips, but all exotics and you cannot pick up a whip and use it without the exotic prof
I for one would support drow getting access to whips inherently. Drow are slavers after all, it is part of their culture to possess slaves to do their bidding. They are even known to possess slaves during their childhood. Thus, it would seem quite fitting to give them access to the whip as a weapon, as it (in my opinion) is the weapon most closely related and associated with slavery in general.

Adding to this would be the reasoning of priestesses and fanatics frequent use of the whip, as an argument for implementation. Thematically, I guess giving females proficiency with the weapon would be most accurate lorewise.
To believe in an ideal is to be willing to betray it.

Snypehunter007

Post by Snypehunter007 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:32 am

flower wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:07 pm

As for whip being sold for 120k+. In Andunor, buying M.Damascus weapon, unless you are a smith and have smith friend, you often pay between 80 000 - 150 000 coins.... :lol:
When I get high enough level, I'm going to cut those prices down, just you wait.

Post by Avatar-bob » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:49 am

So we just had an update regarding ammunition and carpentry. Was there a reason why we didn't get any new special weapons for ranged combat? I mean... Ashwood weapons are great and I'm happy to get an upgrade on that front... But these are not "special" weapons in way that others are.

Nothing with a racial, alignment or class requirement? Given elves proficiency with bows, I'm almost blown away that there is no special longbow that they can use. Or maybe a short/longbow whos true power can only be revealed when wielded by an arcane archer? A barbarian throwing axe of returning? A halfling only sling that can fell giants?

I must be missing something here....

PS: I heard that this recent update was pushed sooner than it should have been. If something like I mentioned above is coming soon, I'm going to look fairly foolish. :?

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:02 am

That's because a racial longbow + Arcane Archer might not be such a swell idea.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:28 am

Also because

Things that would be awesome to have on the server > developer time.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:39 am

Once again, unique weapons are not to serve as power creep but to make up for things lagging behind.

:? :roll:

Richørd

Post by Richørd » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:26 pm

While this is still going on I will just post a small list with all the weapon types that dont have UWs :

- Greataxe
- Halberd
- Handaxe
- Kama
- Katana
- Kukri
- Scimitar
- Scythe
- Dagger
- Rapier
- Club
- Heavy Flail
- Mace
- Morningstar
- Warhammer
- Quarterstaff

Especially bludgeoning weapons seem to have a lack of UWs ... and holy smokes, spears have 5 of them?!
Last edited by Richørd on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:15 pm

I wouldn't hold my breath for unique weapons for each type, some do not even need it.
:)